Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #256
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,931
Well, I was going to tell you they are available again but they apparently have gone missing in action again. They were available just last year I think, or the year before. But checking Max and Bob's I see they are not available.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:02 AM   #257
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by TINK View Post
I did some more reaserch http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/perch/index.htm and it looks like I do need two wedges, one on each side. Checked the bike this morning and no wedge in either side, just the one I have on the bench. Ordered a used wedge off ebay for $14, pricey, but worth it to me for the piece of mind that the controls are not going to auto-rotate on me one day as I'm riding down the road. The good thing is that I'm using proper 22mm bars and not 7/8" - C20: Chrome Flanders BMW R90S Bar (Magura style 478-46300).

TINK
Duane's not quite right on that one--my 1975 /6 does not take a perch wedge, and I understand later models may only need a wedge on one side. Make sure both perches have room for the wedge--this one does not:

Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #258
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
What the heck!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
Duane's not quite right on that one--my 1975 /6 does not take a perch wedge, and I understand later models may only need a wedge on one side. Make sure both perches have room for the wedge--this one does not:
Hmmmmm.... and the plot thickens.
TINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #259
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Reminder "wedge"

100 years from now when I take the controls off the handle bars I'll know to look for the wedge as it falls onto the ground.

TINK
Old 01-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #260
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Talking wedge me a double

Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
Thanks melville. I did check and yes mine does have room for a wedge on both sides.

TINK
Old 01-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #261
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

The Little Things...

PROJECT-S is winding down. Lot's of little things still, but the light is at the end of the tunnel. It's been 20 months since I brought home the 1979 BMW R100RT that I've now converted into a "R100S" and I can't wait to ride her again.

Last night I marveled at the simple victory of having the clutch cable reinstalled. Such satisfaction just to sit on the bike and pull in the clutch lever.

I reinstalled the sub-harness for the neutral and oil switches and zip tied the wiring to the frame for the last time. Next I hooked up the battery and then thumbed the starter. Another wave of accoplishment swept over me as the starter motor spun the engine over. No fuel yet, exhaust is still on the shelf too, but what a thrill to just stand there and listen to the starter spin.

I should have her running this weekend, but will not install the tank just yet. I want the pinstriping done before gas goes back in the tank, if I don't, I know I will just ride her and skip the pinstriping all togeather.

Stay tuned...

TINK
Old 01-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #262
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,214
Lookin' good.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #263
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,523
i look forward to seeing this completed. i read the thread before i bought my first airhead, now i have had 3, and had to move past them for $$ reasons, but there will be a day when i have another. hopefully not too far in the future

keep it comin tink

villageidiot screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 11:28 AM
villageidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #264
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Header Pipes are on

I spent last night installing the header pipes and my Brown side stand, a fairly simple task. [sorry, no photos]

Added some high temp gasket material to shim the pipe hanger clamps to take up the gap. There was some slight wear on the header pipes at these points as a result of the poor fitting hanger clamps so the gasket filler should help prevent any further errosion of the header pipes.

I used T-Bolt clamps on the cross over tube as the original brazed on fittings had log ago broken off. I have T-Bolt clamps for the mufflers too.

Tonight I hope to fit the mufflers, replace the fuel hoses and button up the throttle cabels in preperation for the firing of the engine this weekend.

Stay tuned...

TINK

TINK screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 09:12 AM
Old 01-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #265
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Pics of the day

My favorite grips, BMW Sport Grips, part# 32721458395 & 32721458396. I have these grips on every street bike I own.

T-Bolt upgrade on the cross over pipe.

Header pipes are on, as well as new foot peg rubbers.

TINK
Old 01-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #266
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Fender / Mirror

Front fender trial fit.

Find it very "BMW" that the rib on the front fender matches the rib on the front engine cover.

First thing I bought from Ebay for PROJECT-S was this short stem mirror. At long last the mirror has been installed.

TINK
Old 01-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #267
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot View Post
i look forward to seeing this completed. i read the thread before i bought my first airhead, now i have had 3, and had to move past them for $$ reasons, but there will be a day when i have another. hopefully not too far in the future

keep it comin tink
Where did you get the idea that Tink was ever going to be finished with this? He started over a year and a half ago.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #268
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,777
Front Fender

Tink, make sure that the fender brace has zero clearance where it bolts to the forkleg. An I mean zero, not plus or minus anything.
It can and will affect your fork action if it pulls or pushes against the lower sliders.

Bike looks good, can't wait to see it at work.
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #269
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Fork Brace / Fender Bracket Clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Ju View Post
Tink, make sure that the fender brace has zero clearance where it bolts to the forkleg. An I mean zero, not plus or minus anything.
It can and will affect your fork action if it pulls or pushes against the lower sliders.

Bike looks good, can't wait to see it at work.
Thx Kai Ju,

Yes, I still need to shim the Fork Brace / Fender Bracket for zero push/pull. There's about a 2 to 3mm gap now that I'll add washers to get to zero.

Did the fork seating bouncy bounce thing last night. Have not done the whole glass plate and micrometer bit, I'll just see how things go first with the basic assemble process.

TINK

TINK screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 08:25 AM
Old 01-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #270
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Cool2 Slow but good

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Where did you get the idea that Tink was ever going to be finished with this? He started over a year and a half ago.
HA! I resemble that remark.
TINK