User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #136
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
Update Mid January

Thing have settled down to a waiting for warm weather mod for me. The now isolated stay at Pete's is not unpleasant but makes me wonder if I will ever be happy staying put again. I guess when I am actually back in Canada having settled into buying my own little piece of land in the Kootenays, am hard at work building my own little abode on it and am totally preoccupied with that I may abate the wanderlust. But for right now I do yearn for the open road again. The stop here has been threefold. To see my old friends, to wait out the nastiest part of January and to get back on budget which I had almost completely blow. The free accommodation at Peter's have been a Godsend to achieving these goals.
When Pete told me about standing outside the house and observing an incredible lightning show, pretty well selling him on why he wanted the house, I could only imagine it. Now the photos tell all.

Observing the freerangers. yep. Just grab one, throw it on a spit and we have Bar Be Que

Rio Rico sits in the valley so I have to do a bit of off roadin to get to Peter's. This is about halfway up the hill to his place.

The sunrises and sunsets still continue to amaze me

The last few days had me wondering when I would see the bottom end of the temperature drop. Yesterday morning hit the low point at 7 degrees with all the taps in the house slowing to a dribble. The ice gave way mid afternoon tho and the water flowed freely again. this morning I was blessed with 32 degrees and hopefully the upward trend in the temp that is supposed to happen, will.
Made the appointment for the 23rd in Tuscon to do the overdue service on the Big Girl and see if the failed aux lights are warranty. Then it's westward ho to the Pacific.

Toadride screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 02:22 PM
Toadride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:56 PM   #137
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,729
I have always wanted a Moto Guzzi and want to love them even now and thus I am terribly sorry for all your trouble with this bike. I am resigned to owning a Guzzi only as a recreational ride, if I can ever justify such a thing, not ever as my main daily rider. Too bad.

Your ride report on the other hand has a nice mixture of falling off the cliff drama, strange weather, near constant mechanical failure all illuminated by determination and sheer grit. Very fun read, thank you.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #138
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

You are quite welcome CS.
As the Big Girl is now maintaining as fairly constant good ride (knock on wood) I am becoming more and more convinced that a lot of my problems from the very beginning( bad running wise) were from the leaking exhaust. I check for leaks daily now and the new and properly installed gaskets seem to be holding their own. As the Y pipe gaskets are situated within inches of the O2 sensors I strongly feel that any leakage here may send the ecu into 'Emaaargancy, emaaargency, all da peeples to da boats!' mode. (referencing the great flick, The Russians are Coming)
And, with all the crap that this Gal seems to have been born with, I still love her. Doing what I am doing there is probably not a better, more comfortable and greater sounding bike on the road. Being somewhat anal, I have already decided that I will most likely trade her in when I get back for a new one to keep for, as you describe, occasional riding and tripping. But, this time dealers beware. You will be having one extremely scrutinizing SOB coming your way. Gotta say, now I know what to look for.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #139
Cat City Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
If you get to San Diego, http://www.gpmotorcycles.com/ is the place to go.
In the Glendale area try: http://www.proitalia.com/

Guzzi's do sometimes take some sorting out
Old 01-23-2013, 01:35 AM   #140
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat City Rider View Post
If you get to San Diego, http://www.gpmotorcycles.com/ is the place to go.
In the Glendale area try: http://www.proitalia.com/

Guzzi's do sometimes take some sorting out
Hell, if you get up to the LA area, you need to get in touch with Todd at Guzzi Tech - he's nicely positioned in the Santa Monica Mountains (also known as the Malibu Alps).

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:38 AM   #141
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

I've been chattin with Todd. Hope to have a cup of coffee with him.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #142
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
I've been chattin with Todd. Hope to have a cup of coffee with him.
Be sure to post up when you do. In SoCal, we get three or more Guzzis being ridden together and we call it a rally

See you when you get here. Oh yes, if he needs your bike for an overnighter, I've got the loaner 750 Shadow you can borrow to get around a bit if needed.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
Old 01-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #143
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

The Mighty Pacific.

Finally got back on the road and reached the 'Wet Coast' yesterday. Up in the PNW we call it the Wet Coast but what the Hell is all this? Pleeeeze, Mr. Sunshine. Comeon down!
I also find myself getting to far in a hurry again with a good two months left before my scheduled return to Good Ol Canada.
Checking short term accommodations in the SD area has not revealed much fruit. In my pricerange anyhoo. So, any help would be appreciated in info on oneor two week furnished studios or whatever (efficiency motels) in say, the Oceanside area. As I work past LA I will be looking for same between there and San Fran. Just need to hang back and see the land at a reasonable price. $100 motels will kill the budget again. Now if spring does come down here I'll be the first back into the tent.
Preppin the bike in the bunker.

The last sunrise. (Didn't sleep much that night, just wanted to get goin.)

An overnighter in Tuscon got the Big Gal's toiletries all taken care of by Steve at Renaissance. Great guy with much knowledge. He put in a warranty claim on the fog lights but I am not holding my breath.
It was starting to rain when I headed out on the road to Ajo. Stopping to take this pic I got a bit of an airshow overhead with F16s chasing each other in and out of the clouds. Like great eagles playing only a lot faster and a lot better sounding.

But I seemed to have dodged all the major stuff. Ajo looks like another one of Arizona's open pit mining towns.

But 86 thru Ajo to 8 was worth the ride.
Crossing into California here you hit the dunes.

And these guys were having a blast!

The rain held off to Yuma and I bedded down at a fleabag for the night.
Next day had me riding into more and more of the wet stuff. My Oly gear held true to form and kept me totally dry. Heated grips on low worked flawlessly. The summer boots soaked right thru but my waterproof socks did their trick. I did call it an early day when I got to the Anza Borrego area because the deluge had increased into the mountains. Plus another inmate had clued me into the De Anza Springs Resort, clothing optional, and the only place around. In the cool downpour the option was definitely clothes. The mile ride in the now well muddied dirt road turned BG into an offroader and she handled it with grace.

The resort, however was a lot different than the online pretty pics I saw.

Overpriced, I made it a one night stopover.
Next day was on and off showers to begin with but, finding Old Highway 80 that turned into the 94 Campo road made it all worth it. The rain came down but getting to burn at least a little rubber off the sides of the tires was definitely worth it. What a great road.

Out of the rain and into a bit of fog at the great Pacific. My southwestern most point.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #144
jdgretz
Looking for new places

So you're the SOB who brought the rain. Cut it out!! It's January already, it should be in the 70s and clear!

Sorry for the wet reception. Hopefully it will get a bit dryer in the next couple of days. Give a shout when you are heading to the LA area.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
Old 01-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #145
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 423
Toad, glad you finally made it to the west coast. Did the service in Tuscon turn up any issues with tune, valves, etc? I'm asking just to get a feel for what might have caused your problems and what appears to have solved them. Yours is the most problem plagued Stelvio I have heard of so there has to be a reason most of us don't have similar problems.

Peter Y.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #146
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Peter.
I think I had mentioned a bit earlier that I had now felt with certainty that the big majority of my running problems stemmed from the mysterious lack of, and badly installed and blown out, exhaust gaskets. Since having them installed the bike has just gotten better and better at smooth running. I actually asked Steve at the Tuscon dealer if the little mechanical brain can actually learn and fix itself over time and he said the ECU does do that. Because by the time I rolled into his shop it was running great. The failed battery didn't help but that was another matter.
But the exhaust has continued to this point to be completely sealed and with those O2 sensors right there at the y pipe connections it can only make sense that leaking would effect them. Pete, I even chatted with Steve about the fact that you had had your O2s removed with the ECU flash and, altho I asked for that to be done to mine, they left them in saying the ECU setup is working in conjunction with the Lambdas, and why they would do that. He suggested that, down the line they had discovered that it's actually a better way to go but who knows. (And I see on the bill they even billed me for the bungs!)
All that said, the three days of total rain rides have had the Big Gal acting up a bit and missing a low end but cruising around here and 75 on the freeway is still way better than it used to be. Sun's out now and BG got treated to a super bath and manicure so she seems real happy.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #147
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 423
My re-flash was just to lower the engine temp a bit. Remember, it gets pretty hot here in the summer and with a lean running engine my left thigh was feeling more heat than I liked. The bike was already running good, just too warm. As I understand it, the re-flash added 10% more fuel across the board. Now that the bike is broken in pretty well I'm getting 47 mpg on the highway.

When I checked the temp at the head it was a pretty consistant 170F. As I think of it, that is probably due to the oil temp. I need to actually check the jugs once the weather permits.

Peter Y.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #148
Kedgi
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Hello from Cusco Peru

Hi Toad

I'm chillin in Cusco Peru this morning, waiting to watch the Superbowl at Norton Rat's Pub. It occurred to me today to check and see where you are. You've covered a lot of ground since we nearly met in Panama City Beach, Florida

I'm heading toward Bolivia tomorrow. Only Bolivia and Argentina left until I'm back in Florida

Looks like I'll get home around the same time you will.

Ride safe!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832336

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #149
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 864
Glad she is running better. If you still have the oem plug caps, swap for some NGK replacement caps. As often as your bike has been worked on I am betting the oem bits insulation is failing and they are now arcing and the rain is adding to the problem resulting in the rough running.

Some beautiful places to camp all over that area and check out KOA Kabins if you find the need for more protection now and again, some areas are pricier than others, but they usually are much cheaper than hotels and do a good job.

Your bike troubles have caused you to miss some fantastic riding areas, I hope the rest of the journey allows for maximum exploration.

Cheers
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #150
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Hi Toad

I'm chillin in Cusco Peru this morning, waiting to watch the Superbowl at Norton Rat's Pub. It occurred to me today to check and see where you are. You've covered a lot of ground since we nearly met in Panama City Beach, Florida

I'm heading toward Bolivia tomorrow. Only Bolivia and Argentina left until I'm back in Florida

Looks like I'll get home around the same time you will.

Ride safe!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832336

Kedgi
Hey Kedg.
Still followin your RR daily. I've been holed up in Oceanside for a week now taking in all the great roads they have around San Diego. I will slowly start my crawl north tomorrow with intentions of killing two more months before landing back in Lotusland for the start of the rest of my life. Hope it all keeps going well for you.
Toad.