User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #16
73datsun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
I wish. Fairly limited in Minneapolis.

They say Vario cases and some touratech fit.

On top of that, BMWs site kind of blows.
73datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #17
LXDDLE
ROBBXR

Oddometer: 212
I would be amazed if any bags, other than the BMW Vario bags, would be accommodated by the BMW Vario mounts that are delivered with the bike.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #18
Flashdog OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
I've been told that the mounts ONLY fit the BMW Vario-bags. I bought the Varios and they seem to be more than up to the task of anything I'd put them through. I've always had side opening bags on other bikes and never had a problem with things falling out. It's a non issue to me.
Flashdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #19
NotSoPlainJane
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73datsun View Post
So I'm looking at the F700GS. Actually, extremely close to pulling the trigger. I was going to buy the "Touring" package or whatever it is, due to the heated grips, aux power and the pannier rack.

My question, which the dealer still can't answer is what bags will fit on the BMW OEM pannier rack?

Is it ONLY the Vario cases? Or are there other options that will work?

I've got a 4wk tour of Canada and AK and the top opening aluminum cases will likely work much better.

Sorry for the hijack.
I just picked my new 700 with the comfort package (I think that's what you meant) and the only bags offered to me that fit the racks that came on it were the Vario .... I'm sure if there were others.....especially formore $$ they would have pushed those.....joy
NotSoPlainJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #20
LXDDLE
ROBBXR

Oddometer: 212
I suspect that the likely reason you haven't heard anything about bags, other than the Vario bags, being able to utilize the BMW mounts is because there are none.

As to whether the side or top opening will work best for you, it's a personal decision. They each have there appeal. One of the reasons I have most often used the side opening design is that if you use top openers and you have a bag laid across the rear seat and strapped to the tops of the panniers you have to remove it in order to access the panniers. Typically this is not the case with the side opening design.

Another thing that I have noticed about certain top openers is that unless the lid is attached via a fixed hinge there is a danger that you will lose it, sometimes while you are on the road and before you realize what has happened. I hate backtracking for stuff that falls off of the bike! I have seen this happen several times. Some manufacturers provide or offer a leash to guard against this eventuality. However if you use a fixed leash you lose the nice feature of top openers of having the lid available around the campsite to provide a secure and stable tray that you can move away from the bike. In this case you should consider a quick release attachment to the box. Something like a light-weight steel cable and a small carabiner. Some models with a fixed hinge lid offer the ability to provide a secure and stable place to put a camp stove, park your coffee cup, etc. The lid can make a nice table. This can be a nice feature at a primitive campsite where you do not have a picnic table. I suppose the best of both worlds would be a hinged lid that is easily uncoupled but I do not know if anyone makes this.

The Vario bags are pretty much alone in their ability to adjust their size to your load which is a nice feature. as to things falling out when the lids are opened the use of multiple internal fleece bags (Aerostich) or clear zip lock bags will go a long way in helping you to stay organized and to keep your items in the panniers. The zip locks offer the extra margin of keeping things dry. I have used the BMW vario bags for 10 plus years and have never had them to leak but the belt and suspenders method makes me feel secure particularly with clothes, cameras, laptops, etc.

Like I said, it's a personal decision based on trade offs but, to answer your question, I would bet a dollar to a doughnut that there is no aftermarket bag offered that will mount on the BMW bag mounts.

LXDDLE screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 10:43 AM
LXDDLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #21
73datsun
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks

I really appreciate your reply.

I wish my dealer had accessories on hand, so that I could compare Vario bags to a standard pannier, in-person. Maybe I'd be just fine with the Varios.

Hard to justify the comfort package as I'd have no use for the vario rack. But I sure would like those grips and OEM power outlet.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #22
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,864
Quote:
Hard to justify the comfort package as I'd have no use for the vario rack. But I sure would like those grips and OEM power outlet.
Waaaaaaaa?

Since when was heated grips and an outlet an option?? If that's the case I'd be happy to buy your luggage racks. I have a WTB in the Flea market.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #23
73datsun
Gnarly Adventurer

Maybe it's a 2013 thing?

The comfort/touring/whatever package comes with heated grips, power outlet and the vario racks/mounts.

I haven't bought the bike yet. Because I live in Minneapolis and it's winter.

But if you're still looking in early spring, I'll shoot you a note.

Edit: Just noticed your location. I travel to Toronto every week for work. So that could actually work out pretty well...
Old 01-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #24
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,864
Quote:
Edit: Just noticed your location. I travel to Toronto every week for work. So that could actually work out pretty well...

Perfect! Just put the big metal bars in your carry on bag.

Or I could sell you my Varios? Converting to aluminum bags. Long story but I just need the lower Vario rack to sell the setup or just sell the bags. Whatever.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote