Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #31
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 555
Not much action going on in this thread, I'm guessing there is more talk at Cafe Husky about the TE310.

Has anyone messed around with the gearing on this bike? The owner before me changed out the stock gearing (I'm assuming) and had a longer chain and a 50 tooth rear sprocket, which made the gearing on the bike super tight. I barely had to use front/rear brakes cause there was so much engine braking.
I just changed to a shorter chain and 40 tooth rear. Has anyone else done this? So far, I really like it. It feels like it can travel better on dirt roads and not scream at me. I've only tested the bike with the new 40 tooth rear up and down my street and not in trails.
What do you guys think about the 40 vs 50 tooth gearing? Has anyone here gone in between, say a 45 tooth rear?
Old 01-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #32
Buster714
VP of crash testing

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
You are my size, or RiverRatRider13 's size?
I'm 5'8" 165, before lunch.
Buster714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #33
Buster714
VP of crash testing

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I'm 6'-1", 235# and my '12 TE310 works very well.

Quote:
Not much action going on in this thread, I'm guessing there is more talk at Cafe Husky about the TE310.

Has anyone messed around with the gearing on this bike? The owner before me changed out the stock gearing (I'm assuming) and had a longer chain and a 50 tooth rear sprocket, which made the gearing on the bike super tight. I barely had to use front/rear brakes cause there was so much engine braking.
I just changed to a shorter chain and 40 tooth rear. Has anyone else done this? So far, I really like it. It feels like it can travel better on dirt roads and not scream at me. I've only tested the bike with the new 40 tooth rear up and down my street and not in trails.
What do you guys think about the 40 vs 50 tooth gearing? Has anyone here gone in between, say a 45 tooth rear?
Yes, everyone's at the cafe for this bike. I had a 44T and it was fine for roads and open desert but totally unsuitable for the types of trails I like to ride. I went to the 50T like a lot of guys on cafe and it's much much better. Forget about extended highway riding, but even then I'm at a comfortable 60mph and it's bearable for connecting trails. The bike just handles too well in tight gnarly stuff NOT to put a nice big sprocket on the back IMO. Without it, I was burning my clutch making everyone laugh trying to get up steep technical climbs without stalling. This is just my experience. Everyone has their own take on it, but I'm much happier with the 50T for what I need this bike for.
Buster714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #34
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster714 View Post

Yes, everyone's at the cafe for this bike. I had a 44T and it was fine for roads and open desert but totally unsuitable for the types of trails I like to ride. I went to the 50T like a lot of guys on cafe and it's much much better. Forget about extended highway riding, but even then I'm at a comfortable 60mph and it's bearable for connecting trails. The bike just handles too well in tight gnarly stuff NOT to put a nice big sprocket on the back IMO. Without it, I was burning my clutch making everyone laugh trying to get up steep technical climbs without stalling. This is just my experience. Everyone has their own take on it, but I'm much happier with the 50T for what I need this bike for.
Yea, that's exactly what I was thinking. Well, I'm doing a trip this weekend with a KTM LC4 rider and my brother blaine.hale on a Husky Terra650, so we won't be doing tight trails, mainly forest service roads.
I imagine I'll be putting the 50T back on.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #35
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,043
Quote:

stock on a 2012 TE 310 is 13/40, and many go to a 50t rear. That's kind of a big change - I picked up an Ironman 45t and cut a new 120 link chain down to 110 links.

IMO the close ratio nature of the transmission is a bit awkward - stock gearing is a bit high for slow technical work, and you're in 6th gear before you know it. Could be wider.
I think a 45t is a great solution.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #36
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRatRider13 View Post
'How well would this bike work for a 6'2" 190lbs guy? I have been doing some research and watching vids on it and it looks rather small? I have been mainly looking for a crf450X as an all around singletrack to slickrock type bike thats legal. Im not a super fast rider but i like putting the gas on. right now I ride a 96WR250 but its not easily plated and was hoping to make the big move to 4 strokes.
What's your inseam? The seat height is 37.4" It is a full size dirt bike. It has plenty of power for 190lbs. Not as much power as a 250 2 stroke, but a bit more than a 150 2t.

I run 13/50 and it's great on trails, but not so much for street or wide open riding. But for that, more cc's is generally preferable anyway.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #37
RiverRatRider13
Motorcycle Chum

Oddometer: 335
I have a 34 inseam. If it is the same size as a normal dirtbike I should be fine. But my other issue is I was looking for a bike I could pick up a set of 17s, as to have a fun sumo as well. That why I was leaning more towards the 450 class bikes...
RiverRatRider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #38
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRatRider13 View Post
I have a 34 inseam. If it is the same size as a normal dirtbike I should be fine. But my other issue is I was looking for a bike I could pick up a set of 17s, as to have a fun sumo as well. That why I was leaning more towards the 450 class bikes...
A friend of mine got sumo wheels for his '11 TE310, but a larger displacement bike would make a better sumo.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #39
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Dave at STM did the suspension since the last time I had it out in southern New Mexico. A short ride in the dirt this afternoon - plush and glued to the ground.
Ready for a serious trip.

45t Ironman, 110 link RK XSO x-ring chain

Seat Concepts, IMS 2.9 tank, Powerlet for GPS and a coax pigtail for heated gear.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #40
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,444
Heated gear, aftermarket seat, and GPS? Geez, Blake...what a candyass!

That's odd that the bike would have a close ratio tranny. Is it the same tranny as the MX'er? Nice looking rig. I hope we see each other in SE Utah this spring...if you'll let me take for a quick spin.

BTW...where were you riding in southern NM?
TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #41
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Heated gear, aftermarket seat, and GPS? Geez, Blake...what a candyass!

That's odd that the bike would have a close ratio tranny. Is it the same tranny as the MX'er? Nice looking rig. I hope we see each other in SE Utah this spring...if you'll let me take for a quick spin.

BTW...where were you riding in southern NM?
I don't know if the ratios are the same as the TXC, but you're right - for a street legal dualsport it is a curious transmission. Mostly because first is a bit tall.
It is a small motor, so too wide ratio spacing would kill cruise speed. It works hard enough in top gear, and a grade on pavement means dropping to 5th to maintain speed.
I think the lower gearing is going to be perfect though, it puts the motor in it's sweet spot.

The oem seat is narrow and firm - not bad when you're standing up

I brought it down to TorC for the Rubber Chicken ride last Fall.
I'm not a GPS geek by any stretch - I only have tracks loaded for Big Bend (before I knew my way around), Baja, and southern NM.

We always seem to end up in Baja in Feb/early March and mornings are brisk. This is the first dualsport I've hooked up the heated gear to - might get a chance to use it this weekend on the Switzerland Trail

I think the Canyonlands ride will be excellent - by all means take it for a few hours and see what you think.
How's your Ram Express treating you these days? Great trucks
Old 08-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #42
catang5oh
Blithering Idiot

Oddometer: 595
Next step in the 310s career, it's hot so im riding street.

08 Ninja250(Hers)
99 Venture
05 CRF230
catang5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #43
AllOut84
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by catang5oh View Post
Next step in the 310s career, it's hot so im riding street.

1st off bike looks awesome!
What size sprockets are you running with the s/m setup on?
AllOut84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:22 AM   #44
catang5oh
Blithering Idiot

Oddometer: 595
13/40, does pretty good.
08 Ninja250(Hers)
99 Venture
05 CRF230
catang5oh is offline   Reply With Quote