ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,617
I'm leaking fork oil from under rebound adjuster knob.

Has anyone ever had fork oil leak out from under the plastic rebound adjuster knob on the top of the fork? My right one is doing just that and curious how to go about repairing it. Thanks!
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,327
o-ring

Take the top cap off, remove adjustor, replace 0-ring.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor View Post
Has anyone ever had fork oil leak out from under the plastic rebound adjuster knob on the top of the fork? My right one is doing just that and curious how to go about repairing it. Thanks!

Two things:

First, did you or someone else just work on or service the forks? Commonly, those who are not familiar with WP forks will fill the middle of the inner cartridge with oil (the area where the long thin rebound tube sits). This is supposed to be dry, and when oil gets in that space it comes out the top as you describe.

Second, the rebound cap is sealed with a common O ring that can fail, although normally it is not that common of an issue. To repair this, the rebound knob has to be removed. This part is easy, at least until the two little steel balls and the spring go shooting across your garage never to be found. Point being, be careful. Once the rebound knob is off, the replacement of the o ring is straightforward. Reassemble the knob into the cap with the spring and the two steel balls and you are good to go.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,882
Johnf3 nails it in the First Place. You can replace o-rings on the cap, but it won't fix it until you drain out the extra oil in the damper tube.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,356
it's also possible to have spun the inner cartridge, which reduces the threads available, not allowing the fork cap to seat fully, keeping the damper rod from seating, causing it to leak. dont ask how i know...

laters,

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #6
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
Two things:

First, did you or someone else just work on or service the forks? Commonly, those who are not familiar with WP forks will fill the middle of the inner cartridge with oil (the area where the long thin rebound tube sits). This is supposed to be dry, and when oil gets in that space it comes out the top as you describe.

Second, the rebound cap is sealed with a common O ring that can fail, although normally it is not that common of an issue. To repair this, the rebound knob has to be removed. This part is easy, at least until the two little steel balls and the spring go shooting across your garage never to be found. Point being, be careful. Once the rebound knob is off, the replacement of the o ring is straightforward. Reassemble the knob into the cap with the spring and the two steel balls and you are good to go.
If there is oil around the rebound tube, and the forks haven't been worked on in some time, oil could be getting past the rebound adjustment needle, it seals into the rebound tap with an o-ring. The rebound tap is steel, and sometimes gets very rusty, and eventually oil can make it's way past the o-ring.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #7
freddelito
n00b

Oddometer: 0
Do anyone know the size of that rebound adjustment knob o-ring?
freddelito is offline   Reply With Quote