User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #1
Gezerbike OP
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,318
Aerostich tank panniers

I did a search, but wiht no success, so here goes. Any of you out there that have run the Aerostich Tank Panniers that can tell me about issues with either scuffing or scratching the tank from using these ? They are on sale right now and I have always wanted a set, but they would be riding right on top of my GS decals on my metal 1100 GS tank, and I'd hate to scratch either of them up. Thanks

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
I haven't used the Aerostich ones, but have and use the Wolfman ones. I guess it depends on how picky you are. I have found that if they are on long enough, eventually dust will get between the bag and tank and make micro scratches. I've not found major grinding off of decals or anything like that.

If you are very particular, you can coat the tank area where the bags sit with a clear decal coating like used for numberplate backgrounds.
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
They have a fairly substantial amount of soft\plush\fuzzy material on the inside (replaceable). Feels like fleece or sheepskin. Shouldn't bother the tank at all....unless of course something finds it's way in between the two.

I personally always preferred the Revpack saddlebags as tank panniers myself, close to the same size, maybe a little larger. same exact protective system on the back.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,786
Depending upon where you mount them and how long your legs are, you may find them rubbing against your knees.

They keep your legs warmer in the winter (good)...and the summer(bad)

They can restrict the air flow on some bikes (F650 comes to mind), causing them to run hotter.

They allow you to bring more stuff (good)
They allow you to bring more stuff (bad)

They are not waterproof, and you need to use waterproof stuff sack as liners.

I sold mine once I decided to pack less crap.

Like most Aerostich gear, they are well-made and hold up well. I've seen really old and faded ones, but they were still good.

Mr. B screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 10:04 PM
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 770
Anything you place against paint will eventually damage it.
I run the Famsa tankbag / tank panniers and leave them on 24/7 because the paint is toast.
If I have the tank repainted (unlikley) I will use a plastic protection film.
http://www.nochip.ca/collections/mot...ction-film-kit

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTT View Post
I haven't used the Aerostich ones, but have and use the Wolfman ones. I guess it depends on how picky you are. I have found that if they are on long enough, eventually dust will get between the bag and tank and make micro scratches. I've not found major grinding off of decals or anything like that.

If you are very particular, you can coat the tank area where the bags sit with a clear decal coating like used for numberplate backgrounds.
How roomy are the wolfman's?? Ive got the Wolfman Ranier tank bag. Great tank bag, hell it even fits my hard hat, but it gets in my way when I stand. Was thinking of trying tank panniers instead, 90% of the stuff I carry in the tank bag is small enough I could split it up between the two sides I think. Anything bigger, either Ill have my panniers on or I can throw my top box on.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:01 AM   #7
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,374
if your worried about them scratching the paint, put some clear contact paper or tape on the tank before you use them on a trip.
I've used them for about 20 years now and still use them regularly on my trips, which are always 2 up and I need every inch of packing space I can get!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:41 AM   #8
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,361
Used them extensively on a GSPD BMW. Excellent product. Soft fleece-type fabric on the top straps and soft foamish material on the backs of the bags. No obvious damage to the finish of the PD's tank, though it's plastic and not highly finished.

In addition to luggage space, they offer excellent weather protection for your legs in cooler weather.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #9
hairsmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
I have used mine on the KLR and 1150GS. Not that I would be able to tell if it damaged the KLR but they have never damaged the GS. Make sure they are clean before you put them on.
They give a lot of room for things you want to get to easly. And the ability to carry way to much crap, and yes I do.

Hairsmith
hairsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
Gezerbike OP
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,318
Thanks for the replies. Took the plunge and ordered a set from Aerostich today. They have them on sale for $ 101.00 and a flat $ 5.00 for shipping for the next 2 days.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #11
woodentoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I have them mounted on my crash bars on my VStrom. I cut the straps right off and put grommets through the back of the bags and then zip tie the bags to the crash bars. I keep my first aid kit and bike cover in one and my tire repair kit and rain gear in the other.