Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #196
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost on Row 1 View Post
On Shorai's website the only 18 battery I can find in a case #2 is a 6 volt? With the service the 2 of you have had (30k) it may be overkill anyway. I am sure the 14 will work just fine since the 9 has.
I like the looks of that Anti Gravity. Anyone have any experience with them? This thread has been very helpful and I just need to say, "Well Played" !
You are correct; I edited my previous post. Here are the two Shorai batteries which will fit on top of the air box, under the saddle.

LFX09A2-BS12
LFX14A2-BS12

If I were to choose a battery to relocate today, I would choose the Antigravity 8-Cell battery. The Antigravity battery has much stronger battery terminals than the Shorai batteries. Also, I believe the Antigravity battery is more robust, and produces greater cranking power. Nevertheless, my Shorai LFX09A2-BS12 battery has performed flawlessly for 30,000 miles.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #197
Lost on Row 1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Thanks for the confirmation Spud. Reading your thread (looking at pics) I didn't see how you attached or secured the solenoid and fuse box. Could you get me up to speed on that one? Looks like you have had some great rides on that thing, great pics.

Lost on Row 1 screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 07:58 PM
Lost on Row 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #198
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation Spud. Reading your thread (looking at pics) I didn't see how you attached or secured the solenoid and fuse box. Could you get me up to speed on that one? Looks like you have had some great rides on that thing, great pics.
If you wish, you can attach the starter relay to the top of the air box with some velcro. However, the wires are stiff enough that I didn't need to attach the starter relay to anything. I merely routed the wire for the fuse box through an unused wire loop. I probably should secure the fuse box in place with a zip tie, but I haven't had any problems with this setup after riding 30,000 miles.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 01-18-2013, 04:00 AM   #199
Lost on Row 1
Gnarly Adventurer

In the process of putting on the XR600 left side plate, how did you handle the 3rd fastener? I don't have a plate yet but it looks as though you would need to change something. Sorry if you went over this already, I looked and searched, then A.D.D kicked in. I am guessing you just re-rivet the piece from the bracket onto the airbox.

Lost on Row 1 screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 04:11 AM
Lost on Row 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #200
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
I am guessing you just re-rivet the piece from the bracket onto the airbox.
drill out the bracket and rivit it in place.

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #201
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
In the process of putting on the XR600 left side plate, how did you handle the 3rd fastener? I don't have a plate yet but it looks as though you would need to change something. Sorry if you went over this already, I looked and searched, then A.D.D kicked in. I am guessing you just re-rivet the piece from the bracket onto the airbox.
No problema. You are correct.

After you remove the bracket, examine how the two other fasterners are connected to the air box. Then rivet the third connector to the air box in the same manner.

Spud
Old 01-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #202
Lost on Row 1
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you. I have a couple of months of tinkering before I can ride again. Best time of the year to be mending, right?
Since I just picked this XR up, it gives me time to go through it. I have benefited from the information you all have shared.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #203
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thank you. I have a couple of months of tinkering before I can ride again. Best time of the year to be mending, right?
Since I just picked this XR up, it gives me time to go through it. I have benefited from the information you all have shared.
You're welcome. Indeed, winter is the best time to modify a motorcycle! I want to ride when the weather gets nicer, and prefer to have my mods completed before the riding season begins.

Spud
Old 01-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #204
klxmack
king of the box

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech View Post
drill out the bracket and rivit it in place.
Yes, that's what I did.
3. My bike and its owner are faster than yours.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=klxmack
klxmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:14 AM   #205
zulusafari
E African ADVRDR

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Only the Shorai batteries with the case #2, form factor will fit on top of the air box under the saddle.

http://www.shoraipower.com/specs.html

I recommend the batteries with the A2 terminal configuration. Here are your choices.

LFX09A2-BS12
LFX14A2-BS12

My Shorai LFX09A2-BS12 has performed flawlessly for 30,000 miles. However, if I were to buy a lithium-iron-phosphate (LiFePO4) battery today, I would probably buy the Antigravity 8-Cell battery.

http://antigravitybatteries.com/?page_id=994

This battery will also fit on top of the air box, under the saddle.

Spud
Spud, sent you a message. I accidentally got the full size battery a while back, so I need to make another purchase and I'm considering the Antigravity. Your link no longer works. What is the model? or would you happen to have a new link?
Old 05-11-2013, 01:19 AM   #206
zulusafari
E African ADVRDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulusafari View Post
Spud, sent you a message. I accidentally got the full size battery a while back, so I need to make another purchase and I'm considering the Antigravity. Your link no longer works. What is the model? or would you happen to have a new link?
Ah, never mind...

http://antigravitybatteries.com/ag-801

The model is Antigravity AG801 $180 as of today. They are offering a 10% discount code "adventure" to all the inmates... just punch it in at check out.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #207
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Ah, never mind...

http://antigravitybatteries.com/ag-801

The model is Antigravity AG801 $180 as of today. They are offering a 10% discount code "adventure" to all the inmates... just punch it in at check out.
You found it. Although my Shorai LFX09A2-BS12 battery has operated flawlessly for over 30,000 miles, I now recommend the Antigravity 8-Cell (AG801) battery. This battery has stronger terminals and cranks harder than the Shorai batteries.

Spud
Old 05-12-2013, 04:56 AM   #208
zulusafari
E African ADVRDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
You found it. Although my Shorai LFX09A2-BS12 battery has operated flawlessly for over 30,000 miles, I now recommend the Antigravity 8-Cell (AG801) battery. This battery has stronger terminals and cranks harder than the Shorai batteries.

Spud
Assuming two battery's only variables are Ah and Cranking Amps (CA), if you have not started your XR in a month, would you prefer to have higher CA for a shorter time (9Ah), or lower CA for a longer time (14Ah)?

Would you rather have the Shorai 14Ah battery with lower CA (210) or the Antigravity 9Ah battery with higher CA (240). Sadly these are cranking amps and not Cold Cranking Amps. So this leaves me to wonder if these guys are even using the same environment during measurements. So a comparison would be moot.

Spud - one more related question, I don't want to take this thread any further off track...
what's the reason for having a battery with any given amount of Ah? Since the stock has 18Ah, what are we giving up? While the bike is running, only the output of the stator matters really, right?

zulusafari screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 05:35 AM
zulusafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #209
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Assuming two battery's only variables are Ah and Cranking Amps (CA), if you have not started your XR in a month, would you prefer to have higher CA for a shorter time (9Ah), or lower CA for a longer time (14Ah)?

Would you rather have the Shorai 14Ah battery with lower CA (210) or the Antigravity 9Ah battery with higher CA (240). Sadly these are cranking amps and not Cold Cranking Amps. So this leaves me to wonder if these guys are even using the same environment during measurements. So a comparison would be moot.

Spud - one more related question, I don't want to take this thread any further off track...
what's the reason for having a battery with any given amount of Ah? Since the stock has 18Ah, what are we giving up? While the bike is running, only the output of the stator matters really, right?
The lithium battery manufacturers don't use the same measurements as lead-acid battery manufacturers. Also, Shorai seems to inflate their specs more than Antigravity, and other lithium battery manufacturers. Cranking amps are more important to me. Considering all the factors, I would personally buy the Antigravity 8-Cell battery.

Spud
Old 06-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #210
zulusafari
E African ADVRDR

Well Spud, I finally did it. I got the Antigravity brought over a few weeks ago and got it on today. The only part not done yet is securing the CDI inside the airbox. Did you just punch a few holes through the back of the box and run the zip tie through? is that your long-term solution? I'm not crazy about putting holes in that side. That's where all the dirt comes from!

How did you secure your battery down? I'm also using zip ties there, but would like a better solution so I don't have to cut them every time I want to access the battery.

Thanks!