User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #3256
fxstbiluigi
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 11,955
It's Argon.
If it was 75/25 or any other mix the label would indicate what and the % of each.

"Politicians are always interested in people.
Not that this is always a virtue.
Fleas are interested in dogs." -P.J.O'Rourke
fxstbiluigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #3257
Rd650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Thanks fxstbiluigi
I knew it didn't seem correct.Guess a trip to the welding supply is in my future. The reciept states Ar/CO2 mix.
Rd650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #3258
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,275
One tip-off is UN1006, which is the (united nations) number for argon gas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_1001_to_1100
The second is the word Argon without Carbon Dioxide or CO2 beside it. They gave you the wrong gas.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #3259
Rd650
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah thats what I thought, just did not pay attention to the old tank. "ARGON" on the label with nothing else should have been a clue
Old 01-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #3260
domains
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
you dont need gas when you arc

Takes longer to learn arc but worth it

rather change a rod size then a spool

domains screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 09:17 PM
domains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #3261
Rd650
Gnarly Adventurer

Use my little mig 95% of the time, but have the option of arc (stick) with this old dog if need be,
Old 01-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #3262
Longboardr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
I've got not exactly a welding question but you should be the right group of guys to ask.

I'm looking for a portable rig I can use for those times when I'm in the middle of tearing something down and need to get a fastener red hot. Taking a motorcycle to work's oxy/act rig isn't always feasible when it's half torn down and getting the resulting broken off bolts out has not a bit of fun.

Is a portable oxy/acetylene rig the most sensible choice? Recommendations for a red hot rig?
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #3263
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
I've got not exactly a welding question but you should be the right group of guys to ask.

I'm looking for a portable rig I can use for those times when I'm in the middle of tearing something down and need to get a fastener red hot. Taking a motorcycle to work's oxy/act rig isn't always feasible when it's half torn down and getting the resulting broken off bolts out has not a bit of fun.

Is a portable oxy/acetylene rig the most sensible choice? Recommendations for a red hot rig?
Why not a MAPP gas torch?
Old 01-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #3264
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,118
My 1/8" plate is now about an inch thick... Getting better. I think if I had a smooth surface to start with my beads might actually look half decent. As it is, I get a nice puddle going and then hit a hole and muck it up. Stupid chunk of metal takes forever to get hot enough to carry a puddle and then I can get 2 or maybe 3 passes in before it's too hot. Think I'm to the point now that if I had a pedal I could do a lot better job... any suggestions for me? Hows it lookin?

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:40 AM   #3265
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,419
I suggest you visit a scrap yard and find some more aluminum.

Looking good, Keep it up.

David
Old 01-18-2013, 07:00 AM   #3266
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer: 3,974
Quote:

I had a similar problem, my 4x4 building has gotten to the point where I had to have the ability to quickly remove stuck or stripped fasteners. I kept an eye out on craigslist and found a portable oxy/acetylene torch for 50 bones.

Something you may want to consider: oxy/propane. You will be able to use the same torch and will be able to get fuel gas easily at any place that sells propane for bbq grills. You won't be able to weld with it, but it actually cuts faster than acetylene and is much safer to store in a residential setting.

With very little practice you will be able to heat to red hot, and if necessary, 'wash away' the bits of steel you don't want. I have actually saved a few bolts by washing off the stuck nut without damage to the threads.

Sent from my MB886 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
JAFO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #3267
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,419
Quote:

Once you get the hang of it, you can weld, braze or cut with the torches. All you need are the proper tips. My first welder was a set of "Metal Master" torches. I used them until I bought an engine drive.

Its by far the best way to learn to weld. Once you master torch welding, stick and tig are easy.

Torches new cost me about $300 plus tank rental or purhase depending on your gas supplier. Things can be had much cheaper from harbor freight or tractor supply. I think both even sell tanks.

30 years later I am still using those torches.

David
Old 01-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #3268
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch View Post
Considering the surface you're working on and that you don't have a pedal, it looks great. I don't see any grease smudges on your work either; did you find a new pair of gloves?

My scrap guy came recently and cleaned me out. Otherwise I would mail you some more pieces to work on. Hopefully I'll be building an alu skidplate today, maybe I'll have some decent scrap left over...
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #3269
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,988
Question for the oxy-acetylene folks: How often should I be taking my torch in to have the o-rings serviced/replaced? Its a Victor set and is only used sporadically for home/hobby use for cutting and heating.

TIA

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #3270
kioti
Cruzinonline

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305 View Post
Question for the oxy-acetylene folks: How often should I be taking my torch in to have the o-rings serviced/replaced? Its a Victor set and is only used sporadically for home/hobby use for cutting and heating.

TIA
Most likely never unless they cause a problem, I bought my first set of Victor Journeymans in 1982 and they are used daily in the shop and have never had the need for servicing.

kioti screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 07:07 PM
kioti is offline   Reply With Quote