ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #4111
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,729
Take lots of pictures at the show and post some. especially the size of the crowd. I was gonna go Friday, but I have a NETRA meeting in Marlboro, MA at 7pm so I'm skipping it. Never been. Hate crowds and cities so it's a real stretch for me to decide to go.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #4112
tmlee
Enigma

Oddometer: 519
Mrs TMLee and I are headed down to NYC on Thursday and going to the IMS show on Friday and maybe again on Saturday if we ( I ) don't get everything in on Friday. We are staying in Manhattan through Sunday then back home to RI.

Maybe we will see you there!
- Robert Frost
tmlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #4113
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,192
For future years New England Cycle Works in Groton runs a bus down to the show.. $79 includes a ticket and the bus ride right to the front door. Leaves at 8am and returns at 6pm.. which gives 6 hours in the show. They are sold out this year, but for those of you sticking around it seems like an easy way to get there and back. They need about 10 more folks to bring a second bus this year if you want to give them a call and put your name on the waiting list.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #4114
RhodeHazard
ex halligan hooligan

Oddometer: 655
Anyone interested in dropping some big bikes in colorado?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856780
RhodeHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #4115
go2cnavy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodeHazard View Post
Anyone interested in dropping some big bikes in colorado?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856780
$600 is too steep for me and I don't like hotels.

990A / 450 EXC R/ 250 EXC/ 450R - for sale
go2cnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #4116
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,356
We made it outta Nieuw Yahrk Sydee without any new bullet holes, yo yo yo!

It's been a few years since me and da cheese attended the IMS, and I'm glad I went this year. I had very specific reasons for attending, and yes, KTM did disappoint. I'm really interested in the Duke 390, but at least I know that it's coming "within the next 12 months" and the price will be released about 30 days before the bikes hit showroom floors. One of the sales guys kept saying, "Why do you want the 390? Look at the 690!" He actually said to me: Size does matter. My response was "I wouldn't make it to Sunday if I had the 690." Oh well, some boys know technique trumps size ;)

On to Zero. Man, the bikes are HAWT. The guy said to me: I gotta get you on one. You'd buy one. And I sorta think he's right. I'm on the list for a test ride. Can you spell T-O-R-Q-U-E?

Yeah, we got sidetracked by the Wing...that would be Honda. I soooooo want to love Honda. Please Honda, I know that you have cool bikes IN OTHER COUNTRIES. I tried to convince myself that the CB500X was hot. But it isn't a bike that I have pictures hanging in my office. I think Honda missed the mark. But the CBR500 is a really nice looking bike. That's a winner, as is the CB1100 (even though the tank is an abomination). Judging from the old men trying it out, Honda is gonna sell a slew of 'em at just under $10k.

And finally HUSQVARNA. I threw my leg over the 449 and just fell in love. One of the sales guys started talking to me, but was edged out by another guy. Turns out it was Fred Hoess, Husky's Northeast sales manager and a TWENTY THREE time ISDE rider. What a fantastic guy! Now I'm even more confused than I was last week.

I gotta say that all the sales folks I saw were men. The Ducati women in skintight red ruched dresses walking around with iPads don't count. I'm sure they don't even realize you have to shift on a motorcycle. While it'd be nice to see some women as representatives for the companies, I will say that all the sales men I spoke with were cool. Not one of them started talking directly to the cheese when it was obvious I was the one looking for a new bike. Maybe they're finally starting to get it?

Lois Pryce was there, but I was too shy to ask for a picture. She knew how to spell my name, so that was cool.

On to the pics!

KTM 690 Duke

Zero DS (electric) ... I still don't get a DS version. The range just isn't there yet.

Zero motor ... I just thought this was so very cool

Zero XU ... I came back to this bike over and over. It's just so, so, hawt.

Couldn't resist sitting on a "new" DR-Z 400SM, 'cos you know Suzuki is doing so much research on advancing the design.

"I really like the color." The cheese likes grey bikes. We first saw this DR650 at the dealership in VA when my DRZ broke down.

Could I get the cheese on the trails with me?! DR200

me on a Harley ... how could I resist?!

no words needed

So Officer, can I sit on your bike? Sure, sure!

How could we not go in with a welcome this genuine?

A couple of drinks after the show ... OCD bartender.
He comes over to us and offers "a shot on the house." Now in my world, a shot is a shot. In this dude's world, it was a chance to show off his mixology skills. Alcohol is not a toy. We wound up drinking a shot of peach schnaps, green apple schnaps and cranberry juice which tasted a lot like a Jolly Rancher.

Dinner at Hallo Berlin...ein Currywurst ohne Sauce mit Senf und ein Glas Dunkel ... MMM!

Hallo Berlin is now on 10th Ave ... when did that happen?

Obligatory Hurricane Sandy damage: Long Beach, Lawn Guyland
The boardwalk is supposed to be in front of those buildings.

Bringing sifted sand back to the beach (on a Sunday!)

We were both flabbergasted at how bad things looked, the cheese moreso than me because I don't know the area very well. There were still huge piles of construction debris in front of houses (carpets, cabinets, drywall), and sand really far inland. I didn't make it down to my old neighborhood but I'm sure it's all cleaned up. Police cars in trees can't last too long in lower Manhattan.
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #4117
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,192
What would you use the 449 for? It is not a viable DS bike because of the close ratio gear box.. I looked at them hard last year because you could pick up a brand new one for $5500... but they are really just a MX bike with a plate. Unless they fixed that in 2013 with their participation in Dakar with the 449... where they had a poor mechanical showing.. not that that means anything.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #4118
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilolita View Post
We made it outta Nieuw Yahrk Sydee without any new bullet holes, yo yo yo!

It's been a few years since me and da cheese attended the IMS, and I'm glad I went this year. I had very specific reasons for attending, and yes, KTM did disappoint. I'm really interested in the Duke 390, but at least I know that it's coming "within the next 12 months" and the price will be released about 30 days before the bikes hit showroom floors. One of the sales guys kept saying, "Why do you want the 390? Look at the 690!" He actually said to me: Size does matter. My response was "I wouldn't make it to Sunday if I had the 690." Oh well, some boys know technique trumps size ;)

On to Zero. Man, the bikes are HAWT. The guy said to me: I gotta get you on one. You'd buy one. And I sorta think he's right. I'm on the list for a test ride. Can you spell T-O-R-Q-U-E?

Yeah, we got sidetracked by the Wing...that would be Honda. I soooooo want to love Honda. Please Honda, I know that you have cool bikes IN OTHER COUNTRIES. I tried to convince myself that the CB500X was hot. But it isn't a bike that I have pictures hanging in my office. I think Honda missed the mark. But the CBR500 is a really nice looking bike. That's a winner, as is the CB1100 (even though the tank is an abomination). Judging from the old men trying it out, Honda is gonna sell a slew of 'em at just under $10k.

And finally HUSQVARNA. I threw my leg over the 449 and just fell in love. One of the sales guys started talking to me, but was edged out by another guy. Turns out it was Fred Hoess, Husky's Northeast sales manager and a TWENTY THREE time ISDE rider. What a fantastic guy! Now I'm even more confused than I was last week.

I gotta say that all the sales folks I saw were men. The Ducati women in skintight red ruched dresses walking around with iPads don't count. I'm sure they don't even realize you have to shift on a motorcycle. While it'd be nice to see some women as representatives for the companies, I will say that all the sales men I spoke with were cool. Not one of them started talking directly to the cheese when it was obvious I was the one looking for a new bike. Maybe they're finally starting to get it?

Lois Pryce was there, but I was too shy to ask for a picture. She knew how to spell my name, so that was cool.

On to the pics!

KTM 690 Duke

Zero DS (electric) ... I still don't get a DS version. The range just isn't there yet.

Zero motor ... I just thought this was so very cool

Zero XU ... I came back to this bike over and over. It's just so, so, hawt.

Couldn't resist sitting on a "new" DR-Z 400SM, 'cos you know Suzuki is doing so much research on advancing the design.

"I really like the color." The cheese likes grey bikes. We first saw this DR650 at the dealership in VA when my DRZ broke down.

Could I get the cheese on the trails with me?! DR200

me on a Harley ... how could I resist?!

no words needed

How could we not go in with a welcome this genuine?

A couple of drinks after the show ... OCD bartender.
He comes over to us and offers "a shot on the house." Now in my world, a shot is a shot. In this dude's world, it was a chance to show off his mixology skills. Alcohol is not a toy. We wound up drinking a shot of peach schnaps, green apple schnaps and cranberry juice which tasted a lot like a Jolly Rancher.

Dinner at Hallo Berlin...ein Currywurst ohne Sauce mit Senf und ein Glas Dunkel ... MMM!

Hallo Berlin is now on 10th Ave ... when did that happen?

Obligatory Hurricane Sandy damage: Long Beach, Lawn Guyland
The boardwalk is supposed to be in front of those buildings.

Bringing sifted sand back to the beach (on a Sunday!)

We were both flabbergasted at how bad things looked, the cheese moreso than me because I don't know the area very well. There were still huge piles of construction debris in front of houses (carpets, cabinets, drywall), and sand really far inland. I didn't make it down to my old neighborhood but I'm sure it's all cleaned up. Police cars in trees can't last too long in lower Manhattan.
Regarding the Husqys, the answer is clear: One of each. And a Zero for good measure, because when you're trying to ride stealth, no exhaust is quite as quiet as no exhaust...
Old 01-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #4119
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,729
Thanks for all the pics. How were the crowds??
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #4120
Drewha
Thunderbirds Are Go

Oddometer: 548
Lilo, what did you think of the Terra and Strada 650? They have a nice set of hard bags and top trunk for them. Wind screen, heated grips. Fred Hoess rocks. He finished with a gold medal this year in Germany on a 250. He told me I should be riding the TE 310 in New England on single track. Sweet ride.

Tops on my favorite list, The Triumph Explorer 1200 followed closely by the new watercooled GS1200 and then the Multistrada Gran Tourismo.

The crowd was ridiculous by 1pm Sat. At least the chopper craze is dead. Still worth the trip.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #4121
jgormley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
Nice Trip Report.... I was wondering if anyone was going to post something...
Old 01-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #4122
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilolita View Post

Were you able to heave that monster off of it's kick stand to try out the fit?

bomber1965 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #4123
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,519
I'm sorry I decided to flake out on the NYC trip. I did end up going to a nice local Vinyard with Debbie and found a new Friday night destination.

It's in Ledyard, and it's as nice as the picture looks. Entertainment provided on Fri nights (Sat too in the summer?)

If you were taking this picture, behind you is a large deck and expansive grounds to mill about in.

http://www.mauglesierravineyards.com/

We were the only ones there at noon on Saturday, the owner served our tastings. He said they had 80 people the night before. I bought 4 bottles and moved the party back home.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #4124
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
We had good time, but it was a long day.

Up at 6 am, get ready and go... 3+ hour drive to the City picking up people along the way. Park, walk, 5 hours in the show!
met up with few more friends, after the show caught a limo to club Pegu? on Houston, had drinks, walked to another bar but on the way detoured to Bare Burger where we had an AWSOME burger and drinks, then we walked to Otto's Shrunken Heads where ... you guessed it! we had more drinks! than walked to the car and drove home. It was my car and I was designated driver to I spent most of this adventure sober or sobering up, still it was fun even though I only got home at 2 AM so it was 3 AM before I was able to unwind and go to sleep.

My impression:

Show was bigger, glad I came!
Nothing in the entire show had me reaching for the wallet, it was either lack of appeal or excessive price tag.
Zero, $16,000! are you kiding?! I can get 3 new bikes for that price and that will cover all my needs: dirt, cruise and sport!
KTM, c'mon, brind something I can afford
Honda, cute, and I'm a Honda fan-boy for life but nothing had me reaching for the wallet
Dicati, yes, pretty but I can pay off my mortgage with that money. At least it wasn't a total fashion show like last year, or was it year before?
Husky, noice but I gt a weird vibe just sitting on the bikes, not sure what.

floor space between the manufacturer islands was filled with custom builds but nothing caught my eye, most were either OCC wanna-be iron or Busa based stretched abomination with heavily molded body and oversized tire, that was till I came up on something called Full Of Hate, they had few bikes, ones I noticed were GS750, silver/green with VFR swingarm, 955 fighter and R1 also with VFR swingarm. All three were a nice departure from the usual crap that always fills the isles. I would ride any of them almost as it (955 and R1 had widened rear rims, I prefer narrower, stock sized tires)
MATPOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #4125
stromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Welcome to the new USA normal

USA no longer dominates motorcycle thinking or pricing

The USA WAS the only place rich enough where price influenced buying

USA will be like others where only the top 3% and fanatics will own bikes