User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Oddometer: 6,633
Weird Turn Signal failure - 1150 GS Adv

Just collected my 2003 1150 Adv from Scrimingers after having a custom geartbox fitted. Unfortunately by trailer - hey ho...

Got back to my mate Peter's garage and decided to fit the HIDs and Autoswitch I'd bought. Bike on ramp, tank off, headlights off. Decided to sort the autoswitch first, so disconnected the right hand handlebar switch main plug under the tank, before baring a section of the Brown/White wire on the 'bike' end of the connector. This is the 'Turn Signal Cancel' wire and should give a pulse to earth when the indicator cancel button is pressed.

Reconnected the plug and put the multimeter on the positive battery terminal and the bared wire, turned the ignition on - no reading. Pushed the cancel button - once again no reading. Hmmm. Tried the Turn Signals - they didn't work. Checked that the plug was correctly seated and all pins in good condition. Neither indicator worked.

Weirdly, though, the hazard lights worked as advertised from the switch, both on and off.

Work I have done affecting the Turn Signals recently:

Fitted rear LED Turn Signals with extra brake lamp LEDs - these worked as advertised after fitting and the brake light LEDs still work - as do the Turn Signals, but ony as hazards.

Fitted front LED Turn Signal and these also worked as advertised (and still do - but only as hazard lights).

I rode the bike 70ish miles to Sleaford last Saturday when all the Turn Signals were working OK. Steve Scriminger replaced the gearbox, the header studs in the heads, changed the final drive oil, fitted a new clutch slave cylinder and air filter. He also did a throttle body balance. None of this would, on the face of it, have any effect on the problem - I mention it for completeness.

I have a spare Turn Signal relay in the garage somewhere, so I'll be replacing that as a logical next step, but I'm pretty sure the same relay controls the hazard lights, so I'm not hopeful that this is the cause.

Any ideas?

Mike
Old 01-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,091
fuses?
Old 01-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsweave View Post
fuses?
Not a fused circuit.

All the fuses are intact though...

Mike
Old 01-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
everycredit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Yes. Have Steve fixed what he f'ed.
everycredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,265
Did you try it without the Autoswitch?

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:51 PM   #6
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
Did you try it without the Autoswitch?
All of this happened without fitting the Autoswitch - the wiring was normal except for the section of insulation removed from the Brown/White wire. I can't say for certain that the turn signals worked before we'd bared that wire (and which we kept protected - ie didn't let it ground or anything), by have no reason to think that was a factor...

Mike
Old 01-20-2013, 12:44 AM   #7
ElMartillo
I See Faces...

Oddometer: 261
Unlikely the mechanic caused the failure. He didn't mess with the electrical system, but you did; and the turn signals specifically. It's a good chance your LEDs have something to do with it. Start reversing everything you've done, check operation at each step.

I've got a Y2K 1150GS, when I installed my LED turn signals I got a "fast flash" when I turned them on, but the hazards worked normally. This is because the flashing is controlled by the motronic. You may find the problem lies therein.

I hope this helps, somehow.

Cheers!
ElMartillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:21 AM   #8
Zoef zoef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Sir,

My hunch would be the turn signal cancel wire. If that wire is somehow connected all the time (=cancel switch is pressed), then the flasher relay can't work. The alarm flashing has its own on/off switch, ie is not influenced by the cancel switch.
Zoef zoef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:25 AM   #9
everycredit
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoef zoef View Post
Sir,

My hunch would be the turn signal cancel wire. If that wire is somehow connected all the time (=cancel switch is pressed), then the flasher relay can't work. The alarm flashing has its own on/off switch, ie is not influenced by the cancel switch.
This seems to make the most sense. The cancel switch has no effect on hazard lights (which you state are working). So if we take it to be true that the cancel switch grounds the flashers, then you have a grounding issue with the circuit.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:29 AM   #10
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by everycredit View Post
This seems to make the most sense. The cancel switch has no effect on hazard lights (which you state are working). So if we take it to be true that the cancel switch grounds the flashers, then you have a grounding issue with the circuit.
I'd agree, but the circuit isn't connected to earth/ground when tested, whether the switch is operated or not...

Mike
Old 01-20-2013, 02:12 AM   #11
everycredit
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeO View Post
I'd agree, but the circuit isn't connected to earth/ground when tested, whether the switch is operated or not...

Mike
Could there be a short to ground on the circuit that you aren't aware of? My apologies that I'm not familiar with the circuit in question, but am familiar with circuits in general.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:24 AM   #12
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Update:

I've now got the bike in the garage. When I disconnect the RH switchgear at the under-tank multi-pin plug, the left indicator now functions as normal.

It's tempting to point the finger at the right hand switchgear, but I guess the fault could also be anywhere where the circuits are 'made' when the switchgear is connected?

Mike
Old 01-20-2013, 02:27 AM   #13
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by everycredit View Post
Could there be a short to ground on the circuit that you aren't aware of? My apologies that I'm not familiar with the circuit in question, but am familiar with circuits in general.
Please don't apologise - I need all the help I can get!

Please see my latest update above...

Mike
Old 01-21-2013, 02:33 AM   #14
everycredit
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeO View Post
Update:

I've now got the bike in the garage. When I disconnect the RH switchgear at the under-tank multi-pin plug, the left indicator now functions as normal.

It's tempting to point the finger at the right hand switchgear, but I guess the fault could also be anywhere where the circuits are 'made' when the switchgear is connected?

Mike
Does the right side work when you disconnect the left?

I'm still thinking there's a short and it seems the right side is culprit. I think if the answer to the question is false, I would focus on right-side.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #15
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Replacement switchgear fitted and problem cured.

I've got some spare switches in a drawer somewhere, so I'm going to remove the switchgear at the weekend and replace the turn signal cancel switch.

Many thanks for all the help...

Mike