User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
cowfrenzy OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Another Southbound America Tale

Its been 5 months coming....and in 2 weeks myself and my riding partner are moving from Montana to Austin Tejas, putting my things in storage for an indefinite amount of time and heading south on our KLR 650's. After the initial investment phase of purchasing the bikes, over-farkling them both, and religiously reading ride reports the time has arrived for us to leave in the second week of January from Austin.
After being thoroughly inspired first by Alex Chacon (adventuresouth.com) and then by John Downs (JDowns - http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831076) we are feeling confident that our lack of funds can take us as far as we hope....which is somewhere in south america. Even though this is post number uno for Cowfrenzy, I hope to be vigilant with updating this thing every day or every couple of days, with the intention of getting some other people stoked about advriding.
Thanks for all the support that you have all given me, even though I have been a silent lurker for so long. I hope to make it up to everyone!

Mucho Gusto!
Cowfrenzy
cowfrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
[QUOTE][Thanks for all the support that you have all given me, even though I have been a silent lurker for so long. I hope to make it up to everyone!/QUOTE]
Isn't it the silent lurkers that run deep? Looking forward to your escape.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Hey Cowfrenzy,

You guys are going to have a blast!

Look forward to reading your ride report as you head south on a shoestring budget. Hope to see you down the road.

The hardest part is leaving the driveway. Don't sweat the details. It all works out.

Best luck,
John Downs
Old 01-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
cowfrenzy OP
n00b

Bozeman to Brownsville

Well I know its been a couple of weeks since I've been in touch with the advriding community, but better late than never right? To sum up the last few weeks of this trip might take a minute, but hopefully everyone wont mind.
The move from Bozeman to Austin via an excessively packed uhaul went pretty well. We had to shove in my 09 klr my riding parter Nick’s 07 Klr and my roomates 2007 wr250x… definitely took some fanagaling.
Here’s the group of friends I’m leaving on the departure morning.
And before things got too emotional, the iced me in the Driver’s seat cupholder…at 9 am. Now I’m starting to remember why I’m leaving.
The first day we cruised from Montana to Denver pretty easily and were stoked to see the gas prices in Casper Wyoming. It makes a big difference when your only getting nine miles per gallon.
Got in late to my roomate’s aunts house and she fed us some beers and I cracked open some scotch a pretty lady gave me for Christmas.
Then off to Norman OK to my roomate’s mom’s house. She felt the need to give Aaron back all his swimming medals from High school that she didn’t want anymore.
The Uhaul got broken into that night and they stole Aaons guitar amp, his craftsman toolset, my riding parter Nick’s tankbag and my klr toolkit. We called the cops and after about 20 minutes of them leaving, he shows back up with the tankbag and toolkit in hand. Apparently the thief’s deemed them invaluable and ditched them in the neighbor’s house. HUGE relief to me, not so much for Aaron.
We cruised into Austin to a very warm welcome to Thirsty Planet Brewery, with the owner Brian who is Aaron very close friend and our host for the next few days.

A very warm welcome.
I went to the Airport and picked up Nick the next day. We began the frenzy of deciding what to take and what not to, which was especially hard for me cause I was just pileing crap into a storage unit. Looked like this when we finished.
Hit the town and it resulted in this the next morning. Sorry Nick
Added some finishing touches to le motos
And we were off.
Brownsville Texas, here we come
Old 01-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
cowfrenzy OP
n00b

And we're Off