Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #136
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Good to know what's what with that! Thanks!
When I first got my DR650 I took pics of some of the unknown ... and unused plugs. I put my VOM on them and found some to be Switched and some Un-switched. LOOK HOW CLEAN THAT BIKE IS!!! (not any more!)

Unfortunately I did not DOCUMENT which was which ... but I did take pics.
It's not that hard for owners to simply stick a VOM into some of these. NOTE:
Some of the unused plugs are plugged (or sealed) up from the factory. So I guess Suzuki don't want you messing with those ... but what do they do? And ... could they be used for something else? I found at LEAST three available plugs in my search ... here are a few Pics:
Enjoy

Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #137
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
O.K. Fellas. I need some help with my DDM headlight kit. I came across ADVGrifter's posts about the headlight tutorial, both here and on TT. Please take a look at what I received from DDM. Mainly, I don't see/understand how I secure the new bulb in my headlight housing? The original bulb has a metal lip/flange that secures it into the headlight housing. The flange surrounding the headlight is metal. There is now way to transfer this to the new bulb as seen in the pictures.

In ADVGrifter's posts on page 3, beginning with reply #35, his 8th and 9th photo shows a bulb flange that appears to be rubber?? Did I order the wrong parts from DDM? Is there a rubber part or flange that surrounds the bulb that I need to order from Suzuki to place around the new bulb to secure it into the headlight assembly?

The pictures below should clearly show what I received and the problems I am having. Thanks in advance for your help.

My first two pictures show the original bulb as it was installed when I took the headlight housing off my DR650.

New DDM bulb:

Now way to securing into the headlight housing??

Here's what I got in the kit. No receipt, no instructions, no part numbers, no order confirmation?

VooDooDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #138
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry guys,...It looks like I simply got the wrong bulb in the kit. Doing more research looks like I need to exchange the bulb in my kit for an H4 low beam bulb?

Sorry for getting ahead of myself.

Trent
Old 01-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #139
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Damn, looks like they've sent you the wrong bulb ... or at least the plastic surround that holds the bulb and fits into the headlight assembly.

Did you order an H-4 bulb? You can see (look on my TT tutorial) my bulb and plastic surround fitting are different to the one you have.

I was able to reach an actual person in the San Diego area at DDM Tuning.
He sorted out my order when I returned the high/low system. Maybe someone there can help. I think I got the Boss: Chinese American, probably a Berkeley or UCLA grad. Sharp.

Good luck!
Old 01-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #140
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Fellas,

More help needed. My desire to light the entire bike with LED's is so I can take advantage of my heated vest/gloves on cold days. I want to reduce the watt usage as much possible; so my plan was to install the DDM headlight kit (new, correct bulb on the way), LED taillight bulb which is working perfectly, and then replacing all the standard bulbs in the turn signals with LED's as well.

I bought and installed replacement LED bulbs for the original turn signal stalks, and also bought an LED specific flasher relay which I also installed to correct the blink rate on the LED turn signals. Here is the relay I bought and installed, as well as the LED bulbs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221168990542...84.m1439.l2649

http://www.customled.com/products/fl...youtRegion1LYR

Well, upon installing the LED's in the turn signals, and the the LED flasher relay; my DR650 is basically giving me the bird...!

Upon turning the ignition ON and attempting to activate the turn signals in either direction, both the REAR signals simply light up and stay continuously on. No flashing. Then I tried removing the bulb from the idiot light cluster next to the speedo, and things got just a tad better. With the indicator bulb removed, the rear lights will flash in the desired direction, but ONLY the rear turn signals work.

I am a pretty good mechanic, but electrical stuff is like a black art to me. I understand electrical stuff about as well as I understand Chinese writing.

Help appreciated...!

VooDooDaddy screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 05:34 PM
Old 01-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #141
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
You need to mod the indicator light for the stuff to work right
Old 01-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #142
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwash View Post
You need to mod the indicator light...
Which would be to do what...........?
Old 01-20-2013, 04:42 AM   #143
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,635
Maybe this'll help:

http://www.procycle.us/info/question...lectrical.html

Sarah
Old 01-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #144
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
Thanks Sarah, but that still doesn't help. As I wrote above, I removed the turn signal indicator bulb from the dash display. This helped somewhat in that the REAR signals will flash independently, but I get nothing from the front signals.

Still looking for answers as to why I get no response/light from the front signals?
Old 01-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #145
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooDaddy View Post
Hey Fellas,

More help needed. My desire to light the entire bike with LED's is so I can take advantage of my heated vest/gloves on cold days. I want to reduce the watt usage as much possible; so my plan was to install the DDM headlight kit (new, correct bulb on the way), LED taillight bulb which is working perfectly, and then replacing all the standard bulbs in the turn signals with LED's as well.

I bought and installed replacement LED bulbs for the original turn signal stalks, and also bought an LED specific flasher relay which I also installed to correct the blink rate on the LED turn signals. Here is the relay I bought and installed, as well as the LED bulbs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221168990542...84.m1439.l2649

http://www.customled.com/products/fl...youtRegion1LYR

Well, upon installing the LED's in the turn signals, and the the LED flasher relay; my DR650 is basically giving me the bird...!

Upon turning the ignition ON and attempting to activate the turn signals in either direction, both the REAR signals simply light up and stay continuously on. No flashing. Then I tried removing the bulb from the idiot light cluster next to the speedo, and things got just a tad better. With the indicator bulb removed, the rear lights will flash in the desired direction, but ONLY the rear turn signals work.

I am a pretty good mechanic, but electrical stuff is like a black art to me. I understand electrical stuff about as well as I understand Chinese writing.

Help appreciated...!
Unless you're also using your signals as marker lights, converting them to LED won't save you much wattage.

Your biggest savings will be from the LED tail/brake bulb, converting the license bulb to LED, converting to a 35W HID headlight, and converting your dash bulbs to LED.

If you want to also make your DR more visible, you can convert your signals to dual-circuit LED signals. I found some on Ebay that look like stock DR signals. Front signals from many Yamahas are dual-filament. Wire the 2nd (dim) circuit into the tail circuit, and they become marker lights. Red markers are used in the rear, and amber markers are used on the front. Clear lenses with colored LEDs can accomplish this.

I used stock-looking amber signals all-around, but wired in some red LED marker strips on each side of my rear fender. My front signals are dual-filament models that look stock, with BRIGHT LED reflector bulbs in them. My rear signals are bone-stock, but I still replaced my stock flasher unit with an LED-friendly unit. The signal indicator in my dash is a stock bulb, so I didn't have to wire in a diode, but the highbeam and neutral indicators are LEDs. My DR looks pretty much stock until I light it up. It still uses less wattage than stock, and I haven't converted to an HID headlight yet. My lights all work as designed. A 3-position headlight switch is planned too.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #146
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Unless you're also using your signals as marker lights, converting them to LED won't save you much wattage.
I'll tell you what folks,...gettting older really sucks. Normally I consider myself a somewhat smart guy; but it didn't even don on me that, (inner voice speaking)..."hey dumbass, when riding the bike, from a time standpoint, you used the turn signals sparingly at best." Kommando is absolutely right! Really, how much wattage am I saving by using LEDs in the turn signals considering I rarely use them?

Sometimes logic, when applied correctly sure does end up making sense. I'm just going to switch back to the normal, filament bulbs. I'm not using them as marker lights, so yes the watt usage would be minimal at best.

Sometimes instead of using my motorcycle(s) for transportation, I should just ride the short bus!
Old 01-21-2013, 03:15 AM   #147
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,635
Glad you're getting it sorted. Let us know how it goes together once you get the proper bulb. Thanks for the pictures, too.

Sarah
Old 02-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #148
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,449
ACE hardware has the key blank: SUZ18.
that fits the DR.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Labor Day Sale: $10/map (6-10 maps) + free case
http://www.butlermaps.com/6for60
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #149
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooDaddy View Post
I'll tell you what folks,...gettting older really sucks. Normally I consider myself a somewhat smart guy; but it didn't even don on me that, (inner voice speaking)..."hey dumbass, when riding the bike, from a time standpoint, you used the turn signals sparingly at best." Kommando is absolutely right! Really, how much wattage am I saving by using LEDs in the turn signals considering I rarely use them?

Sometimes logic, when applied correctly sure does end up making sense. I'm just going to switch back to the normal, filament bulbs. I'm not using them as marker lights, so yes the watt usage would be minimal at best.

Sometimes instead of using my motorcycle(s) for transportation, I should just ride the short bus!
Good move! Unless you're one of those riders that cruises down the road with signals blinking away ... oblivious ! ... then should not be a prob.

My routine for managing my elec. output/battery life is this:
When super cold I'll be running everything up at 100%, the Gerbing draws 77 watts at 100%. Heated grips on HIGH (about 30 watts). That about expends ALL of the DR's extra Watts. My 35W HID light saves 20 Watts.

Daylight riding in super cold on a longer ride I switch off my headlight. (this is optional, as on certain roads running your headlight can be a safety issue) At night, no choice, head light must be ON. But if you can turn off headlight in daylight ... that's another 35W to 55W free saving. (depending which bulb type you're using)

Any time I come into a town or area with speed reduction I switch OFF all accessories. I try to minimize brake light & turn signal use. At low RPM engine is charging LESS ... so going slow? Accessories OFF.

Remember: Your battery may discharge some if you are over taxing it and discharging .... BUT ... once accessories are switched OFF ... you battery will recover! (providing it's reasonably healthy)

I've gone from a dead batt that would not turn over the motor to one that cranks ... in just 20 minutes of riding with accessories OFF.

So, even if your Batt gets low or goes dead ... it will come back in most cases. Just manage your accessories.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #150
wastedyouth4366
n00b

Oddometer: 2
12v cigarette adapter to switched power

Sorry to sound like a complete idiot - but how would I go about connecting into the unused switched power outlet behind the headlight?

I bought a 3m auxiliary power outlet adapter at Walmart the other day for this purpose, and it just has 2 wires, the positive and the ground wire. Do I need to connect this to a male plug that fits into what looks like the female switched power outlet?

I have absolutely zero electrical experience, and thought this would be better/easier than connecting directly to the battery.

Thanks in advance!

For reference, this is basically what I have: http://www.amazon.com/Bell-22-1-3904...y+power+outlet

and I'm trying to connect it to:
wastedyouth4366 is offline   Reply With Quote