Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
kallehof OP
kalle

Oddometer: 105
Wanted - Escape Route/Goler Wash/ Mengel Pass

I'm off to Death Valley on Thursday. And would like to ride from Trona -> Escape Route -> Goler Wash -> Mengel Pass ->Death Valley. I've found gps tracks for Goler Wash -> Mengel Pass and one of an Escape Route loop. Any pointers?

Kalle
kallehof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:38 AM   #2
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallehof View Post
I'm off to Death Valley on Thursday. And would like to ride from Trona -> Escape Route -> Goler Wash -> Mengel Pass ->Death Valley. I've found gps tracks for Goler Wash -> Mengel Pass and one of an Escape Route loop. Any pointers?

Kalle
You might check here: http://www.gpsxchange.com/phpBB2/vie...b507a1082034f9

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
kallehof OP
kalle

I also found this post http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....36&postcount=2
Which has a bunch of DV gps tracks http://advrider.com/forums/attachmen...5&d=1137381064. But doesn't include the Escape Route.

kallehof screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 01:45 PM Reason: better now
Old 01-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,288
I have tracks for every open road in and around Death Valley on GPSXchange.com

Better yet I will download tracks to your GPS if you come on one of the Death Valley rides on DualSportWest.com
Old 01-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
kallehof OP
kalle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
I have tracks for every open road in and around Death Valley on GPSXchange.com

Better yet I will download tracks to your GPS if you come on one of the Death Valley rides on DualSportWest.com
Thanks Jerry. I guess I suck. Didn't see a route that included Trona -> Goler. But just checked out http://DualSportWest.com. Maybe I'll see you at the Death Valley 350.

Kalle
Old 01-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,985
So where exactly does this Escape Route go to and from. It sounds interesting. We had a few guys looking for one when we got to the downhill side of the ledge in Goler Wash a couple of years ago.

I will check Jerry's tracks for something by that name.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
So where exactly does this Escape Route go to and from. It sounds interesting. We had a few guys looking for one when we got to the downhill side of the ledge in Goler Wash a couple of years ago. I will check Jerry's tracks for something by that name.
The escape route was used in the winter of 1849-1850 by to men, Manly & Rodgers. As in Manly Pass and Rodgers Dry Lake now Edwards AFB. Lots of information at visitors center in Death Valley.

To find out more, read Manly's book Escape From Death Valley or one by Johnson & Johnson. There is another small book titled Julia. Turns out Julia was born just after they escaped and was being carried by her mother thru all this.

The route goes from Bennet's long camp up to Stripped Butte Valley and probably down Redlands canyon then across Panamint Valley then up Fish Cyn (see marker for where Fish's body was found) over Manly pass, and down Isham Cyn where Isham's body was found. Then across China Lake NAS to Indian Wells (now micro brewery) then down thru Red Rock Cyn to Desert Spring just east of Jawbone Station then to Solodad Canyon to Santa Clarita.

Many years ago the Death Valley 49ers marked several miles with short re-bar posts with "ET" on top. There are a couple on the road in Panamint Valley and some at Manly Pass.

Manly & Rodgers did it alone on foot, then returned to rescue the families and guided them to LA. When the party went over the Panamints, Manly was said to have llked back and said "Good by Death Valley" or " Good by Valley of Death" and the name stuck.

Countdown screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 10:20 PM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #8
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallehof View Post
Thanks Jerry. I guess I suck. Didn't see a route that included Trona -> Goler. But just checked out http://DualSportWest.com. Maybe I'll see you at the Death Valley 350. Kalle
Kalle,

Everything you ask is in "Death Valley Tracks" file. You are looking in Private Libraries?

Jerry
Old 01-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Kalle,

Everything you ask is in "Death Valley Tracks" file. You are looking in Private Libraries?

Jerry
Jerry,

I think your DeathValley.gdb file in GPSXchange is corrupt. I have tried downloading it 3 times on 2 different computers. Both Mapsource and BaseCamp say it is not a valid gpd file.

You might want to take a look at it when you get a chance.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Jerry,

I think your DeathValley.gdb file in GPSXchange is corrupt. I have tried downloading it 3 times on 2 different computers. Both Mapsource and BaseCamp say it is not a valid gpd file.

You might want to take a look at it when you get a chance.
Crazy problem, several people have said that but I can download it fine. I re-load the gdb and also added gpx. I thought the gpx was too large but it went. Please test both and let me know.

Countdown screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 01:10 PM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Crazy problem, several people have said that but I can download it fine. I re-load the gdb and also added gpx. I thought the gpx was too large but it went. Please test both and let me know.

I was able to load the gpx but not the gdb. I got the same error about it not being a valid Mapsource file. Must be some strange gremlin in there.

I tried saving the gpx as a gdb and I was able to read back the gdb I created.

Thanks for looking into this so quick and posting a good workaround.

wbbnm screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 08:35 PM
Old 01-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #12
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I was able to load the gpx but not the gdb. I got the same error about it not being a valid Mapsource file. Must be some strange gremlin in there..
Very strange why I can open it.

What version of MapSource? I am sure you have at least 3.13

Anyway can you see motorized routes along "Escape Trail"?
Old 01-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #13
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

I have Mapsource 6.16.1 on one computer and I think one rev newer on my Notebook.

I went back and looked at your description of the route. I had to do some searching. I found a place called Bennet's Well and I found Redland's Canyon. My National Parks 24k topos show a road most of the way thru Redlands Canyon but only to a spring and not on out to Panamint.

I only have Topos West for outside the Park, but I will look for some of your other key points later.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #14
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I have Mapsource 6.16.1 on one computer and I think one rev newer on my Notebook.

I went back and looked at your description of the route. I found a place called Bennet's Well and I found Redland's Canyon. My National Parks 24k topos show a road most of the way thru Redlands Canyon but only to a spring and not on out to Panamint..
6.16 may be problem. Many of us never went past 6.13 because of problems.

Escape route was walked, it is not open to vehicles except in very few places. There are roads to kind of basically follow it. Warm springs cyn, Mengle Pass, Gohler cyn, around south end of Panamint damp lake, up Fish or single track to Manly pass. There is jeep road down Ishm but it has big water falls that are not fun on bike, P190 jeep road to south is what to take. I have been down on bike but not possible up. No one knows exactly where they crossed are Argus range to Indian Wells but it is now China Lake Navel Weapons Station and closed anyway.

Redlands had big dry ter fall that only a one eyed mule got up and down. Horses they brought back could not get up it and were dead when they retured. They plushed oxen over it and none broke legs. children were carried in saddle bags on the oxen.

Now the Briggs mine has taken all of Redlands cyn.