Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #3136
Point37
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Working on getting key blanks now., I live in northern Sonora, Mexico so I have to take the cylinder to Arizona to get the right blank. I have a good lock smith here who can make the key for me.

Thanks
see post #17...$11 shipped key blanks...this is where i got mine from as well...
http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...__1#entry49330

http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/blanks6.html

Yamaha AP, BP, CP, DP, EP & FP - $7.00 each The key blank is determined by the letter at the beginning of the key code (on the original key), which will be an A, B, C, D, E or F followed by five numbers (example: C32010).

got it cut at ace hardware for free and it worked perfect...had them do a chip key for my g/f's car and that worked perfect too and so much cheaper than getting it done at a dealer
Point37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #3137
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
see post #17...$11 shipped key blanks...this is where i got mine from as well...
http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...__1#entry49330

http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/blanks6.html

Yamaha AP, BP, CP, DP, EP & FP - $7.00 each The key blank is determined by the letter at the beginning of the key code (on the original key), which will be an A, B, C, D, E or F followed by five numbers (example: C32010).

got it cut at ace hardware for free and it worked perfect...had them do a chip key for my g/f's car and that worked perfect too and so much cheaper than getting it done at a dealer
Thanks for the links but I don't have the original key or the code and the dealer in AZ told me to bring in the bike (not possible) or the cylinder (on my desk at the moment) to fit the blank. He said they can't tell from the VIN. I checked the web sites and there is no magic to determining the correct blank, you have to have the code. So the cylinder will cross the border back to the USA for the day next week.

This has been such a long drawn out process to get the bike from Colorado to Sonora (I bought it in April) but I can see the bike running soon.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #3138
Point37
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Thanks for the links but I don't have the original key or the code and the dealer in AZ told me to bring in the bike (not possible) or the cylinder (on my desk at the moment) to fit the blank. He said they can't tell from the VIN. I checked the web sites and there is no magic to determining the correct blank, you have to have the code. So the cylinder will cross the border back to the USA for the day next week.

This has been such a long drawn out process to get the bike from Colorado to Sonora (I bought it in April) but I can see the bike running soon.
sorry i didn't your post on the previous page...yea i don't think you will have much luck with the VIN...they will probably have to take the ignition apart and then order the blank based on that...there are 6 possible blanks...i'm no locksmith but could you go to a place that has iilco keys and buy one of each of the following keys and try sticking each of them into one of the locks (i suggest the helmet lock) and just not twist them to determine which blank it is?...then just return the ones that don't fit?...the problem is that C & E are similar and D & F are similar...the center groove in the C & D keys is wider than the E & F keys...either way you would still need a locksmith to make the key so you may as well just have them do it

yh46 x120
yh47 x119
yh48 x117
yh49 x118
yh50
yh51

left is the wrong blank, middle is the correct blank and right is the original

left is original and right is new key

Point37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #3139
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,808
i was wondering what the rubber band wrap around the rear brake drum is for and is it needed? is it to keep the squeeks down or something?seems like the rear drum would cool faster without it.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #3140
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
i was wondering what the rubber band wrap around the rear brake drum is for and is it needed? is it to keep the squeeks down or something?seems like the rear drum would cool faster without it.
My 09 has it also?.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #3141
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Oddometer: 865
They all have them. My best guess is also that they were there to dampen harmonics, and I agree that they don't exactly aid in heat transfer..
Lizrdbrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #3142
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Lirzd: Been lookin for the 49 state oil coolers for the TW.....are they out yet?.Even looked on the TW forum?.If so, what's the $$$$. TIA
Old 02-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #3143
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizrdbrth View Post
They all have them. My best guess is also that they were there to dampen harmonics, and I agree that they don't exactly aid in heat transfer..

Never had reason to have my rear brakes apart,could it possibly be some sort of water seal?(1980's style?).
Old 02-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #3144
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
Never had reason to have my rear brakes apart,could it possibly be some sort of water seal?(1980's style?).
i took mine off to change the drum and i think it might be for safety? the drum gets so hot maybe to keep from burning your hands or something?
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #3145
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

I think I'm going to remove my powermadd brush guards and install Tusk D-flex guards,the only problem is.....I don't know if the OEM bars will accomodate them?....on the inside mount towards the speedo area,not the bar end area?.Any ideas?.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:02 AM   #3146
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,438
Quote:
I think I'm going to remove my powermadd brush guards and install Tusk D-flex guards,the only problem is.....I don't know if the OEM bars will accomodate them?....on the inside mount towards the speedo area,not the bar end area?.Any ideas?.
I installed a set of Tusk D-flex guards on my wife's TW200....no problems.
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #3147
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
I did the same thing with my Zong. The Tusk D-Flex Hand Guards fit very well on my Pro Taper SE, ATV High Bend handlebars. The D-Flex Hand Guards also fit well on my Tusk CRF High Bend handlebars.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #3148
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Good info gentleman!......"Bob" was your wifes TW install with OEM bars?.

Spud...........I've been hearing of a few more Shorai batteries "melting" down....is this due to riders having too many goodies plugged in and the battery running down too low?.Possibly faulty regulators/rectfiers?.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #3149
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
I just bought an XT225 and it is very cold blooded, which it seems is very common for this bike. How is the TW in this respect?
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #3150
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Good info gentleman!......"Bob" was your wifes TW install with OEM bars?.

Spud...........I've been hearing of a few more Shorai batteries "melting" down....is this due to riders having too many goodies plugged in and the battery running down too low?.Possibly faulty regulators/rectfiers?.
Egads! Can you post a few links, Frog?

I added heated grips to my motorcycle last fall, and my Shorai battery is still working great.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote