ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #3136
Point37
Adventurer
 
Point37's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: MA
Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Working on getting key blanks now., I live in northern Sonora, Mexico so I have to take the cylinder to Arizona to get the right blank. I have a good lock smith here who can make the key for me.

Thanks
see post #17...$11 shipped key blanks...this is where i got mine from as well...
http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...__1#entry49330

http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/blanks6.html

Yamaha AP, BP, CP, DP, EP & FP - $7.00 each The key blank is determined by the letter at the beginning of the key code (on the original key), which will be an A, B, C, D, E or F followed by five numbers (example: C32010).

got it cut at ace hardware for free and it worked perfect...had them do a chip key for my g/f's car and that worked perfect too and so much cheaper than getting it done at a dealer
__________________
00 TW200 & 10 Bonneville SE
"last night i told myself no but i knew i wanted it"
-Ryan
Point37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #3137
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo
 
Turkeycreek's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Banámichi, Sonora, Mexico
Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
see post #17...$11 shipped key blanks...this is where i got mine from as well...
http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...__1#entry49330

http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/blanks6.html

Yamaha AP, BP, CP, DP, EP & FP - $7.00 each The key blank is determined by the letter at the beginning of the key code (on the original key), which will be an A, B, C, D, E or F followed by five numbers (example: C32010).

got it cut at ace hardware for free and it worked perfect...had them do a chip key for my g/f's car and that worked perfect too and so much cheaper than getting it done at a dealer
Thanks for the links but I don't have the original key or the code and the dealer in AZ told me to bring in the bike (not possible) or the cylinder (on my desk at the moment) to fit the blank. He said they can't tell from the VIN. I checked the web sites and there is no magic to determining the correct blank, you have to have the code. So the cylinder will cross the border back to the USA for the day next week.

This has been such a long drawn out process to get the bike from Colorado to Sonora (I bought it in April) but I can see the bike running soon.
__________________
Mexico - Dream, Discover, Ride
Hotel Los Arcos, Northern Sonora's Motorcycle Haven
http://www.losarcossonora.com
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #3138
Point37
Adventurer
 
Point37's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: MA
Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Thanks for the links but I don't have the original key or the code and the dealer in AZ told me to bring in the bike (not possible) or the cylinder (on my desk at the moment) to fit the blank. He said they can't tell from the VIN. I checked the web sites and there is no magic to determining the correct blank, you have to have the code. So the cylinder will cross the border back to the USA for the day next week.

This has been such a long drawn out process to get the bike from Colorado to Sonora (I bought it in April) but I can see the bike running soon.
sorry i didn't your post on the previous page...yea i don't think you will have much luck with the VIN...they will probably have to take the ignition apart and then order the blank based on that...there are 6 possible blanks...i'm no locksmith but could you go to a place that has iilco keys and buy one of each of the following keys and try sticking each of them into one of the locks (i suggest the helmet lock) and just not twist them to determine which blank it is?...then just return the ones that don't fit?...the problem is that C & E are similar and D & F are similar...the center groove in the C & D keys is wider than the E & F keys...either way you would still need a locksmith to make the key so you may as well just have them do it

yh46 x120
yh47 x119
yh48 x117
yh49 x118
yh50
yh51



left is the wrong blank, middle is the correct blank and right is the original



left is original and right is new key

__________________
00 TW200 & 10 Bonneville SE
"last night i told myself no but i knew i wanted it"
-Ryan
Point37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #3139
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,808
i was wondering what the rubber band wrap around the rear brake drum is for and is it needed? is it to keep the squeeks down or something?seems like the rear drum would cool faster without it.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #3140
frog13
Beastly Adventurer
 
frog13's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: SW Ohio
Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
i was wondering what the rubber band wrap around the rear brake drum is for and is it needed? is it to keep the squeeks down or something?seems like the rear drum would cool faster without it.
My 09 has it also?.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #3141
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob
 
Lizrdbrth's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: High desert, soCal
Oddometer: 865
They all have them. My best guess is also that they were there to dampen harmonics, and I agree that they don't exactly aid in heat transfer..
Lizrdbrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #3142
frog13
Beastly Adventurer
 
frog13's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: SW Ohio
Oddometer: 1,220
Hey Lirzd: Been lookin for the 49 state oil coolers for the TW.....are they out yet?.Even looked on the TW forum?.If so, what's the $$$$. TIA
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #3143
frog13
Beastly Adventurer
 
frog13's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: SW Ohio
Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizrdbrth View Post
They all have them. My best guess is also that they were there to dampen harmonics, and I agree that they don't exactly aid in heat transfer..

Never had reason to have my rear brakes apart,could it possibly be some sort of water seal?(1980's style?).
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #3144
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
Never had reason to have my rear brakes apart,could it possibly be some sort of water seal?(1980's style?).
i took mine off to change the drum and i think it might be for safety? the drum gets so hot maybe to keep from burning your hands or something?
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #3145
frog13
Beastly Adventurer
 
frog13's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: SW Ohio
Oddometer: 1,220
I think I'm going to remove my powermadd brush guards and install Tusk D-flex guards,the only problem is.....I don't know if the OEM bars will accomodate them?....on the inside mount towards the speedo area,not the bar end area?.Any ideas?.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:02 AM   #3146
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer
 
Yooper_Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Da UP, eh! (Michigan)
Oddometer: 2,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
I think I'm going to remove my powermadd brush guards and install Tusk D-flex guards,the only problem is.....I don't know if the OEM bars will accomodate them?....on the inside mount towards the speedo area,not the bar end area?.Any ideas?.
I installed a set of Tusk D-flex guards on my wife's TW200....no problems.
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #3147
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
I think I'm going to remove my powermadd brush guards and install Tusk D-flex guards,the only problem is.....I don't know if the OEM bars will accomodate them?....on the inside mount towards the speedo area,not the bar end area?.Any ideas?.
I did the same thing with my Zong. The Tusk D-Flex Hand Guards fit very well on my Pro Taper SE, ATV High Bend handlebars. The D-Flex Hand Guards also fit well on my Tusk CRF High Bend handlebars.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #3148
frog13
Beastly Adventurer
 
frog13's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: SW Ohio
Oddometer: 1,220
Good info gentleman!......"Bob" was your wifes TW install with OEM bars?.

Spud...........I've been hearing of a few more Shorai batteries "melting" down....is this due to riders having too many goodies plugged in and the battery running down too low?.Possibly faulty regulators/rectfiers?.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #3149
Keithert
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Oddometer: 582
I just bought an XT225 and it is very cold blooded, which it seems is very common for this bike. How is the TW in this respect?
__________________
2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe
2005 Suzuki V-Strom 650
2005 Yamaha XT225
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #3150
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
Good info gentleman!......"Bob" was your wifes TW install with OEM bars?.

Spud...........I've been hearing of a few more Shorai batteries "melting" down....is this due to riders having too many goodies plugged in and the battery running down too low?.Possibly faulty regulators/rectfiers?.
Egads! Can you post a few links, Frog?

I added heated grips to my motorcycle last fall, and my Shorai battery is still working great.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014