Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #2431
EvilRoySlade
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
So, the tool tube, like the muffler, is used to "space" the bags away from the rear wheel?

Also, do you find the fiber board, used to provide structure to the panniers, to be durable? I would think that stuff may suffer under wet conditions.
The fiber board has not deteriorated from rain/rivers but it will melt if it touches the muffler. The fiber board gives shape and will fall apart if you use it for structure.
I mounted 2 alum flat bars to hold the bag off the muffler. From the rear the tool tube gives equal bag spacing with the muffler and looks balanced.
I will replace the 2 muffler alum bars with 2 thicker/longer alum bars on each side of the bike for 2013 and try the larger Nashbar bags just to get my sleeping bag/mattress/pajamas out of a stuff sack and into a pannier.
EvilRoySlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #2432
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoySlade
The fiber board has not deteriorated from rain/rivers but it will melt if it touches the muffler. The fiber board gives shape and will fall apart if you use it for structure.
I mounted 2 alum flat bars to hold the bag off the muffler. From the rear the tool tube gives equal bag spacing with the muffler and looks balanced.
I will replace the 2 muffler alum bars with 2 thicker/longer alum bars on each side of the bike for 2013 and try the larger Nashbar bags just to get my sleeping bag/mattress/pajamas out of a stuff sack and into a pannier.
I was wondering if I needed to replace that fiber board with something more durable, like some .062" aluminum sheet. But, I was more concerned with water and less concerned with heat (I have racks to keep the bags off the muffler). Thanks for the feedback, it looks like these may work better than I thought.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #2433
Ripshod
Prym8

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
Seem to me, adding 15lb. of semi-perminent weight of metal racks to carry stuff, defeats the purpose to have a lightweight Sherpa as a dual purpose ride.
That depends on why you bought the Sherpa and what you plan to do with it. I got mine so I'd have a pack mule. The racks are essential to do what I want to do with the bike.

When I get where I'm going, I dump the gear, set up camp, and can take off for the trails.
1990 Honda VTR250 for scraping bar ends in the twists
2002 Kawasaki KL250 Super Sherpa for everything else
Ripshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #2434
Rx4Pain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmean17 View Post
Hey guys,

I just picked up a 2002 Sherpa with about 6k miles. Im a student at VT and after graduation I'm planning on completing the TAT this summer with a few friends. The bike seems sounds but what are the most common issues I should expect? Also, I want to attach some saddle bags but im worried about the exhaust burning through them, any suggestions?
CMean

I wote a pretty comprehensive ride report after doing the Western TAT last August.(on a Super Sherpa) Might be of some help to you, heres the link: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=820992

Ken
Rx4Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #2435
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripshod View Post
When I get where I'm going, I dump the gear, set up camp, and can take off for the trails.
Yes, you can still take off for the trails, but with extra weight of metal racks attached to the Sherpa.

Dump and lift the Sherpa a few times on the trails, your back would easily notice the extra weight.

I use mine as a packed mule, too.. Just don't expect it to go at swifty speeds.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #2436
Ripshod
Prym8

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
Yes, you can still take off for the trails, but with extra weight of metal racks attached to the Sherpa.

Dump and lift the Sherpa a few times on the trails, your back would easily notice the extra weight.

I use mine as a packed mule, too.. Just don't expect it to go at swifty speeds.
I do notice the extra weight and I also appreciate having all the extra handles on the bike and I like the fact that the turn signals are nestled in there, protected among lots of steel bars. And it goes plenty fast enough for me. If I'm in a big hurry to go a long distance, I can always pile all of that gear on my ST1300 and take off. At over 700 lbs. I can pull it up onto the tires, but not when it's fully loaded. That's one reason why I like to travel with a buddy.

Hey, each of us has his/her own priorities. Weight is not a big one for me. Your milage obviously differs.
1990 Honda VTR250 for scraping bar ends in the twists
2002 Kawasaki KL250 Super Sherpa for everything else
Ripshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #2437
imprezagm4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Hello all super sherpas!

I'm downsizing from my DR650 and one of the bikes I'm interested in is the super sherpa... the other is the klx250s.

Just looking for something I can ride around town, to work (no fwy), and offroad (fs roads, atv trails, maybe ST at some point). What do you folks think about the capability of the SS on the trail? I know the KLX is more modern (more travel, etc) but as someone who hasn't ridden much dirt I'm just not sure if I would even appreciate those capabilities at this point.

There is a super sherpa for sale semi locally with 12k on it, he is asking $1950. Does that sound about right? I don't think 12k is too high (just means he actually rode it!) but I'm no sherp expert.

Any expert opinions?

Thanks
imprezagm4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #2438
EvilRoySlade
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezagm4 View Post
Hello all super sherpas!

I'm downsizing from my DR650 and one of the bikes I'm interested in is the super sherpa... the other is the klx250s.

Just looking for something I can ride around town, to work (no fwy), and offroad (fs roads, atv trails, maybe ST at some point). What do you folks think about the capability of the SS on the trail? I know the KLX is more modern (more travel, etc) but as someone who hasn't ridden much dirt I'm just not sure if I would even appreciate those capabilities at this point.

There is a super sherpa for sale semi locally with 12k on it, he is asking $1950. Does that sound about right? I don't think 12k is too high (just means he actually rode it!) but I'm no sherp expert.

Any expert opinions?

Thanks
Last year in Jan 2012 I paid $1850 for my 2000 SS with low front fender, had carb jets and fuel reserve modifications, it had 8,000 miles, runs super great and gets 55-65mpg at interstate speeds. Raise the front fender and ride the mud. My paint was faded but the tank paint looked fine. I put a full windscreen and panniers on it and it's great for touring. I downgraded from a 2006 F650GS BMW and I'm very happy with the lighter and less powerful Kawa Super Sherpa.
EvilRoySlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:58 AM   #2439
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,293
Quote:
Hello all super sherpas!

Any expert opinions?

Thanks
If I remember right, there might be 2 or 3 horsepower difference in favour of the KLX. But what you will find is the Sherpa is a smoother at cruising speeds, not really any passing power, but still very comfortable. I really like the simplicity of the air-cooled engine. No rads/coolant lines to break. The KLX might have a little more suspension travel, but they are both built to a bit of a budget, so it's unlikely you would notice much difference there. The stock seat is slightly better( and lower) on the Sherpa too.
I am not an off-road guy (ask my riding buddies!), but I find the Sherpa quite easy to ride in the rough stuff, with the right tires.

McJamie screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 09:40 AM
McJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:56 AM   #2440
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
I really like the simplicity of the air-cooled engine. No rads/coolant lines to break.
It does make it easier to work on. We've had the engine in and out a few times, and the cylinder a few more. Bit easier that the KLR models
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #2441
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post
It does make it easier to work on. We've had the engine in and out a few times, and the cylinder a few more. Bit easier that the KLR models

I very rarely read about engine trouble with the sherpa minus the 09 recall issue . Why have you had to pull /work on the engine a bit?
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #2442
imprezagm4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Thanks for the input guys!
imprezagm4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #2443
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
I very rarely read about engine trouble with the sherpa minus the 09 recall issue . Why have you had to pull /work on the engine a bit?
Basket case woes
  • Last 1/2" of spark plug threads were scragged (managed to bring them back with a tap thank doG)
  • Needed rings
  • Timing was incorrect (x2)
  • Rings installed incorrectly

While we were in there other items got cleaned and checked too. Didn't help that along with coming in pieces that it had been stored outside at some point. We're hoping to get it running finally this weekend. Finally.
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #2444
zontar
lawnhater

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Hello all super sherpas!

Any expert opinions?

Thanks

I own both. the sherpa is my daughter's and she never parks it. I've done all day gravel rides on it very comfortably. I was looking for another one when I got a good deal on the KLX250S. I love it too. Also spent full days riding gravel on it. Both are very capable, tractable machines. The KLX has nicer suspension, though mine is lowered and I run it pretty soft as I am short and light, so for me it's probably not as necessary. the KLX has more punch, but then it is 9 years newer and a much lower mile bike. both jump up to highway speed without issues. honestly, I'd buy whichever one you can get a deal on. I agree the sherpa seat is more tolerable, but frankly I like the badass styling on my bike. with the new fuel injected CRF250L coming out, the carbed bikes should become cheaper soon. for what you want to do and your experience, I think you'd be happy with either. Oh, and I ride year round and they're both cold blooded with stock jetting. Great mileage (70mpg) but you have to let the little bastards warm up in the wintertime....

Listen: We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different.
----Kurt Vonnegut "Timequake"
zontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #2445
zenduddhist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Another Cold Start Question...

Hey Guys,

2009 Sherpa: I too have a hard time with cold start. Already added the 130 main jet and 20 pilot jet. What I found is that if I loosen the screw that allows the float bowl to drain, and leave it open until I get a nice flow coming for about 5 seconds, then shut the drain screw, it will start easier. Sometimes, that is on the only way to get it to start. Sounds like I am not getting enough fuel after it sits awhile? Maybe too much?

Also, probably related, I took the fuel tank off the bike and I can't get the fuel to completely stop coming out of the bottom of the petcock. I have tried it in both the "on" position and the "reserve" position. Obviously, when I put it in "prime" position, I get a lot of gas coming out, but when I switch to "on" or "reserve" it still drips.

Conclusions anyone?

Thanks!

Chris
1974 Vespa Rally 200
1975 Norton Commando 850
1980 Vespa P200e
2010 Triumph T-100 w/sidecar
2011 BMW R1200RT
2013 Honda CB1100
2013 Vespa GTV300E
zenduddhist is offline   Reply With Quote