User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
SilveradoTX OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
ADV/DS on the brain, and really itching.

Ok, so I'm a member on here and twtex.com (Two Wheeled Texans) and have been sort of lurking around, looking at pictures, reading a little bit and seeing what bikes are out there for ADV/DS riding. I can't seem to help myself, I get on here, start looking around and develop this ridiculous itch that is really wanting to be scratched... maybe it's inspiration on steroids. In any case, the desire to get out, away from the city, outdoors and off the beaten pavement path is pretty strong.

I've taken my Buell down quite a few dirt/gravel roads and, though, it's not exactly built to do so, I've managed quite well. Some of this has been done with a large, expanded tank bag and my wife riding pillion. Even did a recent solo trip from Dallas to San Antonio and back with a full Wolfman tail/saddle bag. Needless to say, I've made the bike do what I've needed it to do.

While browsing around I've come to like the KTM Enduro bikes, DR-Z400, etc. style of bikes. I've sat on a KTM 990 Adventure and just didn't feel that was the right direction. Bikes like the KTM 990 and VeeStrom (though, I respect them) are not what I have in mind. Hopefully, one of these days in the next couple of years I'll be sharing stories from both paved and off road adventures.

Wasn't sure where to post this, I just didn't want this to be a "Help me find the right bike" or "What are your thoughts on..." thread since that's been done a gazillion and one times. I just needed to get this off my chest and admit to the rest of the Asylum that... I really want to go play in the dirt!!