User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #31
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer: 291
vina del mar & valparaiso, chile

well, the apartment i found in vina del mar was a piece of shit. it looked great in the photos online. this seems to be how things go here. it was however a place to land in a new city. and that was it's most important function that no amount of structural neglect or misleading photography could take away.

edificio acapulco, vina del mar, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

bear and i were eager to check out the vibrant character of valparaiso itself (10 minute taxi ride to the south from vina del mar), so we found a hostel on hostelworld.com, and found a place. the neighborhood, cerro carcél (carcél hill) is a bit rough - lot's of stray dogs, not very clean streets. but the hostel - hostel verde limon - is very clean and there's a relaxed vibe and the travelers staying here from all over the world have been very friendly. the building is a crazy maze - like they combined 3 old buildings to make one. this tall gringo is doing a lot of ducking and stooping.

"valpo", as valparaiso is known, it a pretty interesting place. probably not for the faint of heart at times. it's disorderly, lots of odd streets curving around endlessly up the hills. the graffiti is amazing - it's everywhere and it's beautiful and surreal.

graffiti on ave. alemania, valparaiso, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

graffiti in cerro san juan de dios, valparaiso, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

graffiti near plaza sotomayor, valparaiso, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

graffiti near plaza sotomayor, valparaiso, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

bear and i met some chileans in santiago, and we met up with them out here on the coast. together we explored another hill next to ours, cerro concepcion. this hill is nicer, with restaurants, quaint little B&Bs, and a few more tourists. had a dinner there on a place overlooking the bay that was quite tasty.

view from cerro bellavista, museo a cielo abierto, valparaiso, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

stairway in cerro bellavista, valparaiso, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

Santiago, Vina Del Mar and Valparaiso by bspoon415, on Flickr

P1010092 by bspoon415, on Flickr

we also ended up hitching a ride from valpo, back through vina del mar, and finally arriving at playa renaca. there was a lot of traffic, like any beach community in the heart of summer. but the drive was nice to put the whole region in perspective. playa renaca was a bit more of a young, party-your-ass-off kind of vibe. my arms were completely fried from the intense sun here, so i was in no mood for partying. more in the mood for sleeping and aloe vera.

bear and i were speaking spanish with our guides from santiago the entire weekend, and both our brains are very tired with processing language. the spanish is coming along. i still try to start off any conversation with "desculpe, you estoy apprendiendo espanol - por favor, puede hablar lentamente." (sorry, i am learning spanish - please, can you speak slowly.) it works, as people tend to slow down, enunciate, and leave out all the slang or sayings that my brain can't yet understand.

today, monday, we spent the entire day at the customs office. the process was less than efficient, however, chile itself seems to work. much is lost in translation. the customs office is right at the port, and we saw the actual boat (pictured) with our container being unloaded. we compared the boat's number to the one on our bill of lading, the document used to show what we are shipping and prove that it is ours. the entire process of export/import was obscure to me when i started this process. now it is semi-opaque.

porto valparaiso with container ship in background by porkandcorn, on Flickr

P1010083 by bspoon415, on Flickr

container-mates on a lunch break during customs nightmare by porkandcorn, on Flickr

we are told that on wednesday, we will be assigned a meeting time with a chilean customs agent, who will go with us to our container, have the shipping company unlock it as we all watch, and do an inspection of our bikes on the spot and hopefully release them to us.

porkandcorn screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 09:28 PM
porkandcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #32
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Reciprocity Fee Now Apply at Argentina Land Border Crossings

If you are intending to ride into Argentina they have made a change starting Jan 6th, 2013. We must now pay a reciprical tax of $160 USD online *_before_* entering.

To save you lots of hassle. Here is the link to the info page.

https://virtual.provinciapagos.com.a...oFunciona.aspx

But under the log in you need to "sign in" to get the "entry code"

Or go to this link to fill in your info and get entry code then sign in and pay online. Print out payment receipt and take to border with you.

https://virtual.provinciapagos.com.a.../Registro.aspx

Pass along to all US, Canadian, or Australian riders in South America!!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #33
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

valparaiso, chile and the reunion with my triumph tiger 800xc

i learned this dicho (saying) today: "ayer, lo passe chancho," which means "yesterday, i had a piggy day." this is a saying specific to chile, in spanish. chileans also say to their boyfriends/girlfriends, "hola chanchito," meaning "hello piggy." having a piggy day means that you are with your friends or doing fun stuff, and making memories. i have been having a piggy week and a half.

graffiti in cerro carcel, valparaiso, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

Untitled by porkandcorn, on Flickr

valparaiso after 3 days of inhabitance is growing on me and feels familiar. i'm already thinking and dreaming in spanish. we've moved from the hostal verde limon to the hostal caracol. hostal caracol was close by, and have a gated back yard where we can put our bikes (which we collected today! - more about that soon.)

hostel casa verde limon, cerro carcel, valparaiso, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

wednesday, we took a walking tour with a guy named francisco, a porteño (person from valparaiso - a port person) who gives walking tours of valpo for tips. it was a 3 hour tour rich with history, politics, graffiti, humor and this is also where i learned about piggy days.

wally with "tours for tips", valparaiso, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

there was a golden age in valparaiso that was set off by the san francisco gold rush, strangely enough. the demand of wheat from chile to fuel the california gold rush built a world class city. it's rise to opulence was fast, with certain areas of downtown claiming status as some of the wealthiest areas on the continent at the time. the downfall was similarly to the point, brought about by the construction of the panama canal, causing activity at the valpo port to dry up and leading to a generalized depression that has lasted until today. valpo is now the most poverty stricken city in chile, but i don't seem to mind.

old town, valparaiso, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

so, today was a BIG DAY. after a year of planning this trip, months of spending too much money on motorcycle stuff, and a month of waiting for my bike to sail to valpo, today i was reunited with my bike. the gringo parade met up at a really amazing seafood restaurant, los porteños II, very close to the aduanas (customs) building downtown. all of us where there, including "coach" who dragged my bike from salem, oregon to put my bike on the container for me in los angeles, california.

marisqueria los porteños II, plaza sotomayor, valparaiso, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

marisqueria los porteños II, plaza sotomayor, valparaiso, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

after lunch (i had the paella, which had about 5 pounds of chicken, pork, seafood, and curried rice), we all went to the SAMM container handling facility to crack open our officially sealed container. (the seal was an aluminum band on the lock that could have been broken by a cat or a ferret. but it was in tact and hence we knew our bikes were un-tampered-with.

SAAM container port, valparaiso, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

gringos at SAAM container port, valparaiso, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

our container, SAAM container port, valparaiso, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

jorge, our chilean customs 'fixer' was amazing and calmly worked through the mountain of paperwork. eventually, after we cracked the container, pulled all our bikes (and an SUV) out of the container, the customs agent came and looked over the bikes. there really was not search, but he checked the VIN numbers and we had a few laughs about my rubber duck. the customs agent has a BMW 1200GS, so you could say he was sympathetic to our cause. chancho!!

jorge, customs fixer extraordinaire, SAAM container port, valparaiso, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

reunion with triumph tiger 800xc, SAAM container port, valparaiso, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

finally, after some more stamps and papers, we rode the F out of there and bear and i went up to our new hostel on a steeper hill than before. (valpo is very much like san francisco, without the hippies.) we rode up a back alley and into a gated backyard of the hostel. i pull my panniers off to make the bike lighter, as we had to hop a descent sized curb and the turning radius to get in the gate was crapola. managed to get both bikes in without a spill.

hostal caracol, valparaiso, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

i admired how well i packed the bike, but she's definately porky. i'll be sending back some stuff in the mail when i get to brazil. now, after going down the hill to get dinner (always a 3000 calorie burning endeavor), i'm again staying up way to late for your benefit, processing photos, uploading to flickr, updating 3 blogs.

hostal caracol, valparaiso, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr
Old 01-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #34
TOTim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
It's time to ride.
TOTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #35
atravlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Time to Ride!

Have a great start!
atravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #36
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Happy that everything went well and according to schedule. Except for the Port of Los Angeles strike, that ruined our previous vessel.
At least everybody ate and drank well ending with a content belly taking a piece of our historic Valparaiso city port , "Patrimony for the Humanity" (I would say a sacred city for the world).

Photos are at his best. And as an architect I really appreciate those murals but frankly, there is so much urban value in that port that I would heavily invest to bump Valparaiso as one of the jewels of the pacific. Thinking that, was for long time even more important than San Francisco.
From Thomas Cook, Darwin, many pirates too , put their feet on that port city.

One of the good things about these shippings is , that the groups always get together and a high camaraderie mood.
I love this kind of things and make me proud , mainly because I make good friends too around the world. It is like sending an expedition and seeing truly human kindness.

Good luck to all and we'll wait for you in March/April . Now is time to get 8 of others out of Valparaiso to Vancouver.

Gaston/SAMX

US SHIPPING Now open: APRIL 2014 Container SANTIAGO CHILE to LOS ANGELES
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582

GastonUSAChile screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 09:18 AM
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #37
CordR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Thumb In.

South America.
check.

Triumph Tiger
check.

Great photos.
check.

Interesting, well written narrative.
check.

You have another subscriber!
Enjoy the ride time. Looking forward to this.

Cord
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #38
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

playa renaca, chile to paso de jama, chile-argentina border

it's time to begin the ride indeed. i'm in playa renaca, where bear and i decided to come for a change from valpo. staying right in the center of the little downtown at piero's hotel. althought expensive, 114.00 USD night, it is the only thing we could find and frankly, the best deal we could find. this town is packed with chilean and argentinian summer tourists. the hotel has a pool, and i spent about an hour baking the other white parts of my body to match the charred sections. the sun down here will cook a northwestern boy to a crisp in an hour. i feel like i'm evenly baked now.

the bike is porky, over-loaded with too much stuff. i knew this heading out, but it's each adv riders responsibility to pack too much shit, and then give it away to less fortunate people on the road. so that is what i will do. i'm carrying a spare front and rear tire until mendoza, argentina, which i will leave at a motorcycle shop. the rest of the fat, i will cut over the next week and either ditch, or mail home from buenos aires. i should be in b.a. in about 4 days.

bear, i haven't told you my decision yet, but it's time to start my solo journey as i saw it in my head starting out. it's hard, because i made a good friend, and i don't want to part ways. we've had a ton of fun exploring together, and the bond that we've made is a lifetime bond.... wuppp... he just walked into the room and the gig is up. i told him. ok. he understands. ok. done deal. well shit...

so that is the way of the road. we'll ride together again - not sure when, but eventually.

tomorrow, i will make for the hotel portillo, just to the west of the switchbacks that make up the chilean side of the paso de jama. the hotel was recommended by the guy at the hostal caracol. the pass cuts just south of aconcagua, the highest peak in the andes, and the americas, at 22,837 ft. (gulp). that is a high *%#&*!'ing mountain. i will ride up some very intense switchbacks on the chilean side that i hear put the fear of jebus in you.

i'm looking forward to some time alone to process what the hell it is that i am doing and have done. i envisioned this, but it seems rather surreal that it's actually happening. for now, i can't post any images now because i need to sort out the route for tomorrow, reserve the hotel, figure out where i'm dumping my spare tires in mendoza, etc. later.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #39
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

playa renaca, chile to villa alemana, chile (dakar search)

i lied. i was all set and ready to go this morning, heading to mendoza, argentina and got held up trying to reprogram my bikes computer to metric/kilometers instead of english/miles. i went back into the room for a pit stop, and bear had found out that there was a Dakar spectator zone right on my route to mendoza between the cities of villa alemana and limache. previously, i thought i'd have to trek way north to catch it, so now i'm back on the dakar path.

we spent the day scoping out the areas that it is traveling through. there are supposed to be 10,000 spectators spread over the course for the day. the dakar "mass" basically rolls in and out of small towns, draining them of resources: water, gas, food, lodging. so we are prepped with food, water, spare fuel and posting to the adv motorcycle forums to find the coordinates of the spectator zones. the racers are supposed to be blasting through early in the morning tomorrow around 7 or 8am.

we basically made a big hundred mile loop and wound up in vina del mar at a new hostel, hungry for internet connections to figure out where to go and what to do. earlier today, we were at a hiper lider (south american name for super walmart) looking for internet, and while i was in checking on that, some guy came up to bear and told him that he and 30 other bikers would meet us back there tomorrow morning to lead us out to the spectator zone. that works too!

today was frustrating for us both, driving in a big circle, ending up back at the beach where we've already been. but it yielded that rider connection, so if they show up, we are set. i'm still posting to forums for the actual coordinates as a backup.

i'll probably watch the races until noon, then take off for the portilla hotel that i was supposed to arrive at tonight. one day burned to see the dakar rally: worth it.

beach club, playa renaca, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

sunset over playa renaca, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

sunset over playa renaca, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

morning prep under piero's hotel, playa renaca, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

brazilian bikers at piero's hotel, playa renaca, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

another day of hostal parking, vina del mar, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr
Old 01-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #40
Brent T
Namibia orange GS...

Oddometer: 31
Great post

Really enjoying your writing style and your photography. Looking forward to your next post...
Old 01-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #41
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

great. glad to have you on board!
Old 01-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #42
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

2013 dakar rally - limache, chile to portillo, chile

so after realizing the dakar route was running right across my path to mendoza, argentina, i stuck around another day to hunt down a good spot to watch the racers come through. yesterday, we drove from playa reneca, through concón, into limache, and around into villa alemana. after finding no good spots to stay, we drove the final 8 miles back into the back side of vina del mar. we found a sketchy hostel downtown that had ancient mattresses, mosquitos, and shitty internet. as a traveler, i'm fine with terrible lodging, but bad wi-fi is inexcusable.

we rolled into limache, no motorcycles anywhere. how can an event that draws 10,000 spectators not produce at least one or two bikes on the road?

en route to dakar 2013, limache, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

anyway, at a gas station we got directions to the zones dos espectadores (spectators zone). there is hardly any signage in the town. finally, we got to a place where there were some dakar vehicle in front of a dirt road. it looked official, so we just blasted through without talking to anyone. (that's how you do things in south america if you don't want to spend all day talking in terrible spanish to people that barely understand you.)

we passed a couple of cows on the road, which over the in-helmet intercom system that i brought along, we named "DAKOWS" out of respect for the event. 2 more DAKOWS, and we ran into a big ranch gate that looked super official with signs that said VIP DAKAR ESPECIAL. well, my spanish is bad, but this gringo knows when he's onto something good.

i pulled off the helmet, and we chatted up the guard. franco, the guard, said that this area was for VIP, race techs, and TV crews. i explained to him that we had just risen the length of the americas to get to this event (una mentira - a lie), and he agreed we were worthy to enter.

after a few kilometers more of dirt road, we came into a clearing roped off with yellow tape. we followed a tape path down to the end of the big clearing toward the VIP tent, realizing after a few confused looks that we were riding on the ACTUAL DAKAR 2013 COURSE!!

since we were already pushing our luck a bit by lying our way into VIP, we agreed we should get the hell off the course. bear pulled up under a big shade tree, right next to the Red Bull camp, and we claimed our own CAMP GRINGO, DAKAR 2013.

campo dakar por los gringos, limache, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

i pulled out the camping goods, made some coffee and tea, and we've just been hanging out taking photos with all the VIPs who keep coming over and asking if we are in the race. "claro que si!" (of course we are!). no, actually, we've been finally telling the truth. so it's about 11:15am now, and we are just waiting for the racers to start blasting by the course.

dakar 2013, limache, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

chiliean "zumaran", dakar 2013, limache, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

special line-up, dakar 2013, limache, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

special line-up, dakar 2013, limache, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

special, dakar 2013, limache, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

what?, dakar 2013, limache, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

dakar 2013, limache, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

dutch fanatic, dakar 2013, limache, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

bear and i split out of the dakar VIP area around 3pm, both eager to get off to our next destinations. once we got out of the VIP section, we ran into all the normal spectators. since we came from the direction of the race, everyone assumed we were racing. so we were waving, stopping for photos, kissing babies. we didn't want to disappoint them. they'd been waiting all day for a glimpse of the action. it continued out on the freeway moving SE to santiago (bear) and los andes (me). in our final miles together, bear and i were getting standing ovations and cheers from people parked along the freeway waiting for dakar riders and drivers to come by. quite a send off.

bear and i stopped for water about 7km from my turn east to los andes and the paso dos liberadores - my entrance into argentina. i got a little emotional. it was odd. here i had just made a good friend, sharing some pretty intense days at the start of our journey, and now we were already parting.

bear is headed to santiago to take care of some business before heading to patagonia. (get that tail light fixed boy!). i'll miss him. if patagonia sucks (it won't), we can meet up in 3-4 weeks in mendoza and continue north together. he's a good man...

fairwell bear, for now, route 60/route 5, north of santiago, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

later that afternoon, i started to climb elevation toward the paso dos liberadores and the andean peak of aconcagua, the highest point in the andes and the second highest point in the world after the himalayas. i got to the bottom of the switchback and hit the line-up i was expecting.

line-up for paso dos liberadores crossing, route 60, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

line-up for paso dos liberadores crossing, route 60, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

they are doing construction on the paso, so eastbound from chile can only pass from 8pm to 7am. so i rolled up to the front of a 3 mile line (good to be on a motorcycle), and stuck in with a pack of about 8 bikes, which turned out to be brazilians on the way back home from dakar.

so after spending all day speaking spanish, i switched over to portuguese for the 1.5 hour wait. i was told that even brazlians, after spending time in spanish speaking countries, end up speaking "portunol" - a mix of the two. now i don't feel so bad. my portuguese is still better.

são paulo, brazil motorcycle plate by porkandcorn, on Flickr

una paulista con un triumph tiger, route 60, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

an american from seattle named ted showed up at the line-up, and he and i ended up decided to stay at the hotel portillo up the road and after the chilean switchbacks.

ted from seattle, route 60, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

the switchbacks were intense, and we took them at dusk after they release the 300 car line-up. i was at the head of the pack after i passed a big tour bus. it was intense. the altitude comes quick. soon, as i passed into the mountain shadow, dusk turned to night. i don't like riding at night, but it was an empty road with no oncoming traffic. just eventually switchbacks lit by the moon. (i didn't take the photo, as i couldn't stop, but this is what they look like during the day.)

paso dos liberadores, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

eventually, the GPS directed me onto a dirt road toward the hotel portillo. it was completely vacant.

hmmmm... the next town in across the chilean/argentinian border, through customs and about 3 hours of non-sense. i stopped to see if i could anyone. it was unlocked and i wandered in. i found my way down into the kitchen. there were 3 staff members there, although i don't know why. by this time ted had shown up and i was convincing one of them in spanish to let us camp out in the hotel, if only on the floor. finally, he agree and after a nice meal of ham and cheese sandwich and a bottle of local red wine, we camped out in some grand living room. i felt like in the night, the two little twin girls from hitchcock's the shining would throttle me in my sleep. i sleep on the couch cushions, with my motorcycle jacket as a blanket and my motorcyle pants as a pillow. i could not have been happier.

vacant hotel portillo, portillo, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

campo portillo, portillo, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

campo portillo, portillo, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

porkandcorn screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 03:42 PM
Old 01-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #43
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

portillo, chile to mendoza, argentina

the next morning, we had to get up at 5:45am to get on the road and up over the pass before they closed down the east-bound lanes at 7am. we ran into the portillo's st. bernard guard dog in the early morning as we were leaving. he was sniffing around in the living room during the night. the light was coming up quickly on the hotel, even though we woke in total darkness. the hotel, and the lake are intense, especially when there are not people around to ruin it all.

st. bernard at portillo hotel, portillo, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

hotel portillo, portillo, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

laguna del inca, portillo, chile by porkandcorn, on Flickr

eventually, i wound up in the emigration/customs complex for entry into chile. there was a pretty serious line that took about 1.5 hours to pass through. then it was about a half hour inside before we were release with the appropriate stamps and documents into... ARGENTINA!!

argentinian immigration, horcones, argentina by porkandcorn, on Flickr

argentinian immigration, horcones, argentina by porkandcorn, on Flickr

route 7 coming down from the pass was big and beautiful. the andes are a young mountain range, and it shows in the complexity and variety of color that you see in the mountains.

puente del inca hot spring, argentina by porkandcorn, on Flickr

route 7, argentina (west of uspallata) by porkandcorn, on Flickr

ted, route 7, argentina (west of uspallata) by porkandcorn, on Flickr

arriving in mendoza, food and wine were on minds, but finding lodging was a priority. all the hostels were booked due to the heavy summer hiking traffic heading up to aconcagua mountain. some dutch hikers that i ran into gave me a tip on a double bed room about 10 blocks from where we were looking, so we b-lined for it. no fuss when rooms are tight. we arrived, got settled, and headed out to a nice dinner of argentinian steak (very good), wine (very good) and papas fritas.

los haroldso vina, mendoza, argentina by porkandcorn, on Flickr

central mendoza, argentina by porkandcorn, on Flickr
Old 01-22-2013, 06:05 AM   #44
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

mendoza, argentina to buenos aires, argentina

yesterday, i felt free. i'm not sure what impact this trip is having or supposed to be having on me. but yesterday, i felt free.

ruta 7, argentina by porkandcorn, on Flickr

from mendoza to buenos aires is a 15 hour drive. on a triumph tiger 800xc, it's a 12 hour blast at nearly 100 miles an hour (sorry mom, it had to be done). hay no policia on ruta 7, the straight-as-an-arrow shot of pavement across the continent. the roads are nearly perfect, and having felt a bit trapped out on the coast waiting to get moving, i had 'heavy wrist'. there was just enough traffic to make it fun, kicking down into 5th, 4th gears at time to tear past a semi or a slow car. i'd get waves, thumbs-up, and honks as i zipped by. not a lot of fast motorcycles in the central plains of argentina, so people would catch up to me at a gas station, want to take my picture, and talk about the bike.

blasting through the flat landscape of soy and corn fields peppered with cows, many times it felt like a homecoming for this iowa boy. there were several times where i forgot where i was, relapsing to some earlier time in my life driving from iowa city to des moines on iowa's interstate 80, coming back from visiting friends at the university of iowa... or visiting my sister heading south on I-35 to kansas city. and then i would awakened from the illusion by a strange vehicle, or come into a police checkpoint, and realize - holy shit - i'm riding across south america on my way to buenos aires!!!

people warned me that the ride would be tedious and boring, but i loved every damn inch of it. after some pink floyd (atom heart mother), and some leonard cohen (songs from a room), i put on a greg brown album (further in), which is for me the quintessential iowa album and reminds me of many things. i was brought to tears, and had to pull over to clear my eyes. i took a panorama shot on that stop. i was ear to ear smiles.

i arrived into buenos aires out-skirts just as the sun was setting. the city is huge and on the interstate to city center was about a hour. the freeway were empty for some reason, and i throttled on, getting very, very excited about riding into the famous place. the garmin zumo navigator made it stress-free and easy. i just follow the pink line on the screen while the nice british lady talks me in.

now it's morning, had a great sleep, and i'm heading out with a map to walk the city. tonight, i'm invited to a barbeque at the B&B that i'll be moving to tomorrow, and there's a half of a cow involved.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #45
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkandcorn View Post
so, today was a BIG DAY. after a year of planning this trip, months of spending too much money on motorcycle stuff, and a month of waiting for my bike to sail to valpo, today i was reunited with my bike.
Glad to hear this worked smoothly for you.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote