Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #2911
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,265
No rain in the hills today ...

Not a sniff of rain ...

Not even a rain-like idea ...

As dry and dusty around Drs Flat / Sawyers Gully as I’ve ever seen it – no feed for the few farms out that way – Tinbum saw a single very thin little ‘roo ...

No imagination needed to envisage ignition – the Brindies are one huge powder keg ...

Hopefully next weekend’s tentative forecast will come to something – possible, but ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #2912
JD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripodtiger View Post
G'day Canberra-ites.

You may have read elsewhere that there is a bunch from AdvRider heading to Numeralla for the Folk Festival on the Australia Day weekend? Maybe not.

I'm trying to establish a return route that skirts the south western parts of Canberra. I intend to come down Tinderry Rd, Burra and Angle Crossing.
A couple of years ago a mate led me through there, using Vanities Crossing. It was a bit of a surprise to find it quite deep and swift. Nice.
The thing was that we went around the suburbs, avoiding much traffic and bitcherman, coming out onto Brindabella Rd at Warks Rd.

I'm now trying to confirm if there is any route through that area, avoiding the 'burbs?

I'd like to use the causeway if possible. Anyone with a gps route suitable for my Garmin Zumo?
G'day TT. I can tell you that Vanities Crossing is closed and gated these days.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:58 AM   #2913
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,766
Quote:
G'day Canberra-ites.

You may have read elsewhere that there is a bunch from AdvRider heading to Numeralla for the Folk Festival on the Australia Day weekend? Maybe not.

I'm trying to establish a return route that skirts the south western parts of Canberra. I intend to come down Tinderry Rd, Burra and Angle Crossing.
A couple of years ago a mate led me through there, using Vanities Crossing. It was a bit of a surprise to find it quite deep and swift. Nice.
The thing was that we went around the suburbs, avoiding much traffic and bitcherman, coming out onto Brindabella Rd at Warks Rd.

I'm now trying to confirm if there is any route through that area, avoiding the 'burbs?

I'd like to use the causeway if possible. Anyone with a gps route suitable for my Garmin Zumo?

Which way you going after you hit the Tharwa - Namagi Rd?, north [Brindies / Tumut] or south Boyan / Adaminaby ???
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #2914
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
G'day TT. I can tell you that Vanities Crossing is closed and gated these days.
That'd be right.

Only way across is at Cotter...

And one can't get through Namadgi into the North Kosciousko. Fek.

They make it pointless to ride a sports bike.

They close back roads near major towns.

Baaaa!

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #2915
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
Which way you going after you hit the Tharwa - Namagi Rd?, north [Brindies / Tumut] or south Boyan / Adaminaby ???
Cheers
Baza
Hey Baz,
The notion was to go through the Brindies but, instead of plodding along to Tumut again, heading towards Jugiong & Coolac then coming home via a northern route that I half know - Yamatree Rd.

It's just a pita skirting around the mountains when we all know there are good roads through there.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #2916
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Hey Baz,
The notion was to go through the Brindies but, instead of plodding along to Tumut again, heading towards Jugiong & Coolac then coming home via a northern route that I half know - Yamatree Rd.

It's just a pita skirting around the mountains when we all know there are good roads through there.

Down Mountain Creek rd until Sawyers Gully rd, across to Wee Jasper, right turn @ Trackhead - down to Coolac turnoff, just short of Tumurrama

follow that 'til 'river rd', left to Coolac, turn right back to Jugiong, nice & twisty up over the ridge down to Jugiong,

cuppa @ 'Long Track Cafe'?
Cheers
Baza
Old 01-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #2917
stuser
Putt putt putt

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
No rain in the hills today ...

Not a sniff of rain ...

Not even a rain-like idea ...

As dry and dusty around Drs Flat / Sawyers Gully as I’ve ever seen it – no feed for the few farms out that way – Tinbum saw a single very thin little ‘roo ...

No imagination needed to envisage ignition – the Brindies are one huge powder keg ...

Hopefully next weekend’s tentative forecast will come to something – possible, but ...
Thanks for the ride yesterday, Hoots.
I appreciate the gentlemanly way you and Nick shepherded this much slower rider . Sorry to slow you down , but it was a great route and I enjoyed it muchly.

I'll definitely give some of those tracks a go again by myself. I'll take your advice and start off just putting the knobby on the front and leave the Anakee on the back for now.
I looked at the counter sprocket and yes, the mess is definitely centred on that area. Looks pretty simple, too. Def a strength of the KLR, so easy to work on.
stuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #2918
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,455
Quote:
Hey Baz,

Keep your eyes peeled through Yamatree, I came through there a while ago and someone had been grading the water runoff gutters across the road, and around a bend was one they had simply left for the next day, and it was still a trench - full width of the road and more, just a bloody trench. That cost me $400 in parts to fix my GS.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:03 AM   #2919
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuser View Post
Thanks for the ride yesterday, Hoots.
I appreciate the gentlemanly way you and Nick shepherded this much slower rider . Sorry to slow you down , but it was a great route and I enjoyed it muchly.

I'll definitely give some of those tracks a go again by myself. I'll take your advice and start off just putting the knobby on the front and leave the Anakee on the back for now.
I looked at the counter sprocket and yes, the mess is definitely centred on that area. Looks pretty simple, too. Def a strength of the KLR, so easy to work on.
No worries at all Stu – really good to have met you – it's been ages since I've done the Drs Flat / Sawyers Gully loop, and nice to see it again – let me know if you ever want to pop out after work for a bit of practice on the local roads - a 1/2 hour here and there is all that's needed – the roads here are generally pretty empty, and there's a good mix of terrain - need to watch out for the roos ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #2920
tinbum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
No problem Stu,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
No worries at all Stu – really good to have met you – it's been ages since I've done the Drs Flat / Sawyers Gully loop, and nice to see it again – let me know if you ever want to pop out after work for a bit of practice on the local roads - a 1/2 hour here and there is all that's needed – the roads here are generally pretty empty, and there's a good mix of terrain - need to watch out for the roos ...
Here, here, happy to take it easy and ride at a pace that suits abilities and experience, take it easy, practice and have fun, and remember to ride at your pace,See you about and look forward to another ride.
cheers Tinbum
tinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:07 AM   #2921
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
Here, here, happy to take it easy and ride at a pace that suits abilities and experience, take it easy, practice and have fun, and remember to ride at your pace,See you about and look forward to another ride.
cheers Tinbum

Sounds like I missed out on a good ride, was thinking all morning that I should have went,

might get out this week & check some tracks north of here

See what strife I can get into, I mean what can go wrong??, a bloke on his bike & miles of dirt roads, most of them I know but haven't been over for years
Might be tomorrow I reckon!!!!!
Cheers
Baza
Old 01-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #2922
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
Down Mountain Creek rd until Sawyers Gully rd, across to Wee Jasper, right turn @ Trackhead - down to Coolac turnoff, just short of Tumurrama

follow that 'til 'river rd', left to Coolac, turn right back to Jugiong, nice & twisty up over the ridge down to Jugiong,

cuppa @ 'Long Track Cafe'?
Cheers
Baza
Thanks Baza,
Mountain Creek Rd.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #2923
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
Keep your eyes peeled through Yamatree, I came through there a while ago and someone had been grading the water runoff gutters across the road, and around a bend was one they had simply left for the next day, and it was still a trench - full width of the road and more, just a bloody trench. That cost me $400 in parts to fix my GS.

Was it Roma that just averted the same thing during the Dakar? He had some warning - skid marks from the cars that preceeded him - and only just got away with it.

Did you send the bill to the council?

How long did it take to peel your jocks off?

Old 01-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #2924
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,455
Quote:

Was it Roma that just averted the same thing during the Dakar? He had some warning - skid marks from the cars that preceeded him - and only just got away with it.

Did you send the bill to the council?

How long did it take to peel your jocks off?
Nah, I never bothered with the council, as I figured it would just give them an excuse to close that access, and the bastards would only blame me for not riding to the conditions anyway. I couldn't be bothered with the bullshit for the cost of the repairs, I just wrote it off to experience.
I didn't soil my undies, but I managed to remember a few rude words at the time. Then I had a nervous ride home with busted pannier mounts, hoping my pannier stayed put.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #2925
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
Nah, I never bothered with the council, as I figured it would just give them an excuse to close that access, and the bastards would only blame me for not riding to the conditions anyway. I couldn't be bothered with the bullshit for the cost of the repairs, I just wrote it off to experience.
I didn't soil my undies, but I managed to remember a few rude words at the time. Then I had a nervous ride home with busted pannier mounts, hoping my pannier stayed put.

Bit different with the tree / knee episode though

Cheers
Baza