ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #91
grizCP
DROC

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo83 View Post

WOW! I actually led for a small portion of one of the laps??? Look how slow Ryan is.
Yeah, you must have forgotten - you finished ahead of Rob and I for the heat race - somehow they still put Rob as 4th overall for the lane choice... As for Ryan, yeah it's a good thing it's a wide angle photo... he wouldn't have made the picture otherwise.
grizCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #92
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizCP View Post
As for Ryan, yeah it's a good thing it's a wide angle photo... he wouldn't have made the picture otherwise.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #93
grizCP
DROC

More on #40 - I was talking to the number reservation guy (Thomas) and he mentioned that he runs bare tire A and Masters classes (on the #25) - he won Masters last week beating that same bike with "her husband" riding it... I am guessing that means Davey...?

Anyway, we talked a bit about siping - he uses a Kenda 270 dualsport on the rear and a trials front "made to look like shag carpet."
Old 01-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #94
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizCP View Post

Bob about to be lapped by #75 and #17... although I boxed 17 out pretty good... also check out the duds! (plug for Dubinky!)

Thanks! I must admit it is cool to see people I have never met wearing Dubinky stuff

Glad you guys had fun. Are you all going to do the entire series? What time did you guys get up there in the AM?

Hopfully I can make one.
COXR650L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #95
grizCP
DROC

Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
Thanks! I must admit it is cool to see people I have never met wearing Dubinky stuff

Glad you guys had fun. Are you all going to do the entire series? What time did you guys get up there in the AM?

Hopfully I can make one.
I ride a lot with Paul and Ryan (who mentioned your gear)... its nice to see a local brand that is high quality.

Since I have invested 7 hours of tire siping, I plan to ride as many events as I can. I would recommend coming early at least for a first race because the practice helps a lot. Gates open at 6:00 - registration at 6:30... I don't think we practiced though until maybe 7:30-7:45ish..? I wasn't watching the clock - is that accurate Paul?
Old 01-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #96
rtadlock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
This really looks fun. I'd like to get up for one. My truck is still MIA after it got rear ended, so I don't have a way to get the 5 hundy up there. Anyone I could hitch a ride with? Just need space for my dirt bike and myself. I'll split gas and buy some beer...
rtadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #97
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtadlock View Post
This really looks fun. I'd like to get up for one. My truck is still MIA after it got rear ended, so I don't have a way to get the 5 hundy up there. Anyone I could hitch a ride with? Just need space for my dirt bike and myself. I'll split gas and buy some beer...

If I make it to one and the wife statys at home (I doubt she going to stand in the cold!!) you can ride with me.
COXR650L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #98
rtadlock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
If I make it to one and the wife statys at home (I doubt she going to stand in the cold!!) you can ride with me.
Awesome. Let me know when/if you plan on going up.
rtadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #99
Raul Duke
DROC

Oddometer: 1,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo83 View Post

WOW! I actually led for a small portion of one of the laps??? Look how slow Ryan is.
And yet I still beat you. Doesn't say much about your skills.
COHVCO
TPA
Raul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #100
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

We're on for this Sunday! Weather should be about a nice as ice racing can be.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #101
grizCP
DROC

Ice racing report from 1-20.

I didn't get any good action shots today, but SpecialEddie and I ran again in bare tire B. We both heavily siped the tires and found a HUDGE difference. I didn't get lapped by #40 and was able to hang with the pack for the most part. I would have almost certainly lapped myself from the previous race two weeks ago! Time well spent with the pull-saw.

SpecialEddie checking to make sure he was dialed at 6 psi. I also switched to the XR200 - a very good fit for bare tire ice racing.

Finally, I got a kick out of this one. There are a few "hardcores" who run Speedway bikes - one of them (#8c) has really loud leathers with the word "Bouncin" and lots of stars embroidered. He is frequently observed doing squats in the pits as well as running laps around the track during breaks. Anyway, he passed me on the way home - the Subi pictured indeed has a speedway bike tucked in the hatchback! Love it - keeping it real.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #102
RustySpokes
Two-bit throttle bum

Oddometer: 1,028
Very cool! Did you sipe the front tire the same way? And what is a pull saw? Do you think a a tire with closer spaced knobs would hook up even better?

A friend has an XR200 that's been sitting unused for years. Hmmm.....
Old 01-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #103
grizCP
DROC

Regarding siping - Yes. More. Always. More. Think shag carpet. I still have work to do. I do think a tighter tread pattern is better and soft rubber.

Pullsaw:
http://www.harborfreight.com/japanes...saw-39273.html

Paul picked up a siping tool though - we'll have to do a comparison next week.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #104
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

BTW, we'll be there next week, but that will be the last week we're there.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #105
RustySpokes
Two-bit throttle bum

Oddometer: 1,028
Bump.

I'm heading up in the morning to spectate. I know a lot of folks are at the Elephant Ride, but I need my ice racing fix.