ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #2926
GodSilla
I did that.
 
GodSilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Village Idiot's residence
Oddometer: 7,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
Bit different with the tree / knee episode though


Cheers
Baza
Definitely. That was a self-inflicted wound.

I can give you lessons in that one if you like.

The episode on Yamatree pissed me right orf, but for the effort of following it up I felt there was insufficient return to be gained.
Having said that, it is a nice jaunt through that property. I have been through since, and no problems, I was unlucky on the day. The jerk who left the trench had dug it immediately round a bend, where the surface was obscured by a low mound.
Oh well, off to buy some fork seals.
__________________
Death to Turnips.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #2927
peter650
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Sydney
Oddometer: 422
Gday Stuser i have a KLR. Dunlop 606s will help heaps on dirt roads. I would go knobbies all around. Most my moments came trying to wash off speed. Found out it was easy to add another 30ks to my straight line speed, but slowing down for corners was not so easy . Knobbie's will help heaps with braking, which will give you confidence to go faster between corners. After a while you find your corner speed will go up. I have come now. I wanted to ride faster which i did. Worked out the ground is to hard & i am to old/soft. I am back to putting around the bush like a turtle.
peter650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #2928
stuser
Putt putt putt
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Canberra, Australia
Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter650 View Post
Gday Stuser i have a KLR. Dunlop 606s will help heaps on dirt roads. I would go knobbies all around. Most my moments came trying to wash off speed. Found out it was easy to add another 30ks to my straight line speed, but slowing down for corners was not so easy . Knobbie's will help heaps with braking, which will give you confidence to go faster between corners. After a while you find your corner speed will go up. I have come now. I wanted to ride faster which i did. Worked out the ground is to hard & i am to old/soft. I am back to putting around the bush like a turtle.
Thanks, Pete. The braking thing makes sense and that sounds good. I am hoping for faster corner speed too cos that is where I suffer greatly....

Yeah I have a couple of knobbies on the way.

Going to try just putting one on the front at first to see how that affects handling... I have been "advised" that my current dual sport tyre gives better traction on the back on gravel roads.

Got a Pirelli Scorpion Rally on the way... should be fun :)
For the rear, I found a Mefo Stone Master... chunky as....
stuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #2929
havafati
Yassdafarian
 
havafati's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Yass, NSW, Australia
Oddometer: 2,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuser View Post
Thanks, Pete. The braking thing makes sense and that sounds good. I am hoping for faster corner speed too cos that is where I suffer greatly....

Yeah I have a couple of knobbies on the way.

Going to try just putting one on the front at first to see how that affects handling... I have been "advised" that my current dual sport tyre gives better traction on the back on gravel roads.

Got a Pirelli Scorpion Rally on the way... should be fun :)
For the rear, I found a Mefo Stone Master... chunky as....
The Stone Master is a good tyre if you plan on only riding dirt. They are rock hard and give nice vibes up ya jaxie. Used one three years ago on my little beema for a very long trip great on the dirt murda on the bitumen. The route your going is the best option. Knobbie front 50/50 rear
Cheers
Fati
havafati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #2930
stuser
Putt putt putt
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Canberra, Australia
Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by havafati View Post
The Stone Master is a good tyre if you plan on only riding dirt. They are rock hard and give nice vibes up ya jaxie. Used one three years ago on my little beema for a very long trip great on the dirt murda on the bitumen. The route your going is the best option. Knobbie front 50/50 rear
Cheers
Fati
Yah, gonna teach myself the basics of swapping tyres so I can play knobby dirt master once in a while and then back to the gentleman motorcyclist that I really am....

I got Anakee 2s at the moment, not quite 50/50, more like 20/80.... great on the road but don;t give me shite loads of confidence off road (on the front anyway).

Or maybe it's because I don't know how to ride yet...
stuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #2931
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 8,058
Grab yourself some spare rims, chuck on what tyres you want, for what ever application, been doing it for years,
When you meet up with other ADV'ers, first thing you'll notice is;
- everyone walks around everyone else's bike
- looking at what tyres have been diagnosed for the event at hand,
Bit like dogs when they meet up, hopefully no-one will piss on ya wheels
Watch out for the 'grey bearded old bastards', cunning as shithouse rats but know their stuff [most of them!!! ]
Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - 2015], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project' x2 [for sale]
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #2932
GodSilla
I did that.
 
GodSilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Village Idiot's residence
Oddometer: 7,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuser View Post
I got Anakee 2s at the moment, not quite 50/50, more like 20/80.... great on the road but don;t give me shite loads of confidence off road (on the front anyway).
The Anakee rear is surprisingly good on dirt, but shows it's limits on slippery wet stuff or sand/dust drifts.
The front, well, I use one for road miles but prefer a knobby for unsealed surfaces, it means I can brake and steer with some confidence rather than puckering up inside my undies.
__________________
Death to Turnips.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #2933
havafati
Yassdafarian
 
havafati's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Yass, NSW, Australia
Oddometer: 2,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuser View Post
Yah, gonna teach myself the basics of swapping tyres so I can play knobby dirt master once in a while and then back to the gentleman motorcyclist that I really am....

I got Anakee 2s at the moment, not quite 50/50, more like 20/80.... great on the road but don;t give me shite loads of confidence off road (on the front anyway).

Or maybe it's because I don't know how to ride yet...
Have fun whipping that Stone Master on and off like I said their hard, more of a desert tyre.
My old set up was TKC80 on the from and Avon Distenzia on the rear.
Still running the Avon rear but have swapped to the cheaper Kenda Big Block front. This is on both my 650 and 1150 no worries. As for riding skill, I still think I can't ride I just wing it on a ride by ride basis.
Cheers
Fati




Sent from my iPhone using my thumb
havafati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:22 PM   #2934
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 8,058
What are you on about 'fati?, you're always in front of me, then again I can't ride for shit anyway
Who was the bloke that water-skied across the Turon that time?
Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - 2015], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project' x2 [for sale]
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #2935
havafati
Yassdafarian
 
havafati's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Yass, NSW, Australia
Oddometer: 2,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
What are you on about 'fati?, you're always in front of me, then again I can't ride for shit anyway
Who was the bloke that water-skied across the Turon that time?
Cheers
Baza
The way I figure it if I think I can that'll be the day it shows me I can't. Better to admit I can't at the start and learn on the way.
Cheers
Fati


Sent from my iPhone using my thumb
havafati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #2936
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter650 View Post

Gday Stuser i have a KLR. Dunlop 606s will help heaps on dirt roads. I would go knobbies all around. Most my moments came trying to wash off speed. Found out it was easy to add another 30ks to my straight line speed, but slowing down for corners was not so easy . Knobbie's will help heaps with braking, which will give you confidence to go faster between corners. After a while you find your corner speed will go up. I have come now. I wanted to ride faster which i did. Worked out the ground is to hard & i am to old/soft. I am back to putting around the bush like a turtle.
Only 10 responses to an invitation to talk about dirt bike tyres ...

That’s got to be some sort of a record ...

Must be the hot weather ...

Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:33 AM   #2937
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 8,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by havafati View Post
The way I figure it if I think I can that'll be the day it shows me I can't. Better to admit I can't at the start and learn on the way.
Cheers
Fati


Sent from my iPhone using my thumb

Very philosophical statement there, obviously a very tried & true theory,
Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - 2015], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project' x2 [for sale]
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:59 AM   #2938
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 8,058
Gotta do rego on 'Kenny' next Tuesday, everything is working but you watch - on the day he'll spit the dummy about something
Gunna have to do a top-end rebuild soon, checking camchain & runners, might freshen up the rings too!, as well as fix some leaky bits
Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - 2015], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project' x2 [for sale]
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:02 AM   #2939
havafati
Yassdafarian
 
havafati's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Yass, NSW, Australia
Oddometer: 2,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
Gotta do rego on 'Kenny' next Tuesday, everything is working but you watch - on the day he'll spit the dummy about something
Gunna have to do a top-end rebuild soon, checking camchain & runners, might freshen up the rings too!, as well as fix some leaky bits
Cheers
Baza
Where are you taking him now that Shane has closed up shop? Mines due in Feb.
Cheers
Fati


Sent from my iPhone using my thumb
havafati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:20 AM   #2940
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 8,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by havafati View Post
Where are you taking him now that Shane has closed up shop? Mines due in Feb.
Cheers
Fati


Sent from my iPhone using my thumb

Shane & Cassie have moved over near the Vet's Surgery on the main drag, on the left just before the top of the hill,
What's on your rally calender??
Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - 2015], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project' x2 [for sale]
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014