User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #91
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 5,112
One of my wife's cousins has a Tiguan and said he really enjoys it. For what it's worth he's really into cars. His other vehicle is an M3.
adam_c_eckhardt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #92
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
One of my wife's cousins has a Tiguan and said he really enjoys it. For what it's worth he's really into cars. His other vehicle is an M3.
Nice, and it looks like VW is really trying to move them, a local dealer has the base model for 19k.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #93
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
I travel a lot for work and ended up with one a few weeks ago, very stable car at speed.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #94
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,330
I think the current VW lineup is quite nice. From the way they drive to the quality of materials used.
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #95
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

I'm about 2 weeks and 2,000 miles in so time for a quick review:

I love the car, it has a great ride, enough power to get around, and the thing is amazingly stable and sure footed for a big ass mid sized sedan when pushed into a corner. It might be nearly the size of a Dodge Charger but it has less body roll than my old Civic coupe.

For long distance it's great, I did a 10 hour drive and it was no sweat. You just sit back and relax in this thing.

Stereo is good but I could see myself installing component speakers in the future. It uses 6 3/4's and has separate tweeters so if I do want to invest in that there's more than enough to work with.

Power is good but think of it like a Wee Strom.....if you hit the gas in a corner it'll have enough to give you a smile.....if you try to just launch from a stop you'll move but it's not a rush at all. If I do keep this car after the warranty expires it'll be getting an ECU tune which looks to give a 15hp 20 ft-lb boost in the mid range to the wheels and it might get an intake sooner since that wont void the warranty. They also have a intake manifold which brings it to roughly 200/200 at the wheels which would be nice for a daily driver ~3,100lb car.

The goal for any modifications is to keep the car as stock looking and sounding as possible and to just give it a little bump in a few areas.

As for trims the base S model is a nice car and has all the features I "need" and cost was a major factor for me. But if you can spend a little more the SE is priced 3,000 dollars higher but the heated seats would be nice, and you get a few more toys like the touch screen radio, alloys, more options with the multi function display in the gauge cluster, and I think it might have heater vents for the rear seats too.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 01-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #96
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Pretty spot on observations, the motor is absolutely underwhelming for anything outside of cruising speeds, which it does very well.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #97
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,946
has it died yet?

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #98
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by green hell View Post
has it died yet?

It actually went to the shop today.....got an E-mail about a free courtesy check. They took it for 15 min topped it off and washed it.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #99
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post
Pretty spot on observations, the motor is absolutely underwhelming for anything outside of cruising speeds, which it does very well.
The 5 speed is key, I wouldn't want the car (or any) with an auto.

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 10:16 PM
Old 01-29-2013, 05:02 AM   #100
Motley
Lurker

Oddometer: 2,586
Well, I just bought a 2013 Passat TDI with the DSG. This is my first VW and certainly my first diesel.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #101
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley View Post
Well, I just bought a 2013 Passat TDI with the DSG. This is my first VW and certainly my first diesel.
Nice what color?

Old 01-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #102
Motley
Lurker

Oddometer: 2,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Nice what color?
They call it "Night Blue". I get it this Thursday night, I'll post a pic or two.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #103
Reddane
Circling pi

Oddometer: 887
I hope you don't get bit by the electrical gremlins that my 11 GTI was plagued with. I purchased it new off of the lot and all was fine until it hit 50k highway miles.

While sitting in a subway parking lot eating lunch one day - the car quit running. It wouldn't restart - or anything. I ended up hauling it to the dealer. They couldn't replicate the problem until they started it up one morning to perform an oil change on it and it quit.

Three months later (after my VW dealer and VW Germany burned the transatlantic lines) I got my car back with a new fuel tank, sender, pump, lines and computer. VW just replaced the whole thing. I traded it in on a jeep about a month later.

Volkswagen makes nice cars but just be aware that all of the fancy gadgetry has its issues. I wish you better luck.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #104
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley View Post
They call it "Night Blue". I get it this Thursday night, I'll post a pic or two.

That's the color I wanted but I had to settle on the silver after the Accord died and the 0% for 66 months was expiring the next day (though of course they extend it another week but the silver isn't too bad).

Old 01-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #105
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,599
Nice car Jon! I just gave up on Germans cars with the Audi finally breaking my back and spirit. In a fit of rage I went out and just bought a Honda Element and spit on the Audi when I got home.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: