Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #136
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
Who is the lucky dealer?
Balise.. Scott seemed like used car salesmen.. which I guess they probably are Plus Balise is a bit closer.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:54 AM   #137
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Balise.. Scott seemed like used car salesmen.. which I guess they probably are Plus Balise is a bit closer.
I got mine in Attleboro and get serviced at Scott. No complaints about their service department. I believe the whole you get better service where you bought the thing is a myth so I watched the TDI forum.

I also suggest you consider keeping a fuel log and retain every receipt. This way is you have a fuel problem you can trace it to the source. A few years ago a station in Westport wound up with gas in the diesel tank. Thankfully I was driving a diesel surburban a the time. It fucked up enough people that it made the news.

Ritalin Boy screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 04:32 AM
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #138
PWarren4
Lost & Confused

Oddometer: 92
Question, questions, so many questions

OK guys - right up front I want to apologize for being overly regional.

I have recently acquired new employment and will be starting on Monday, 1/28. With this new position comes a new 112 mile round trip, 5-day a week commute, of which 101 of those miles will be interstate. This daily journey is to take place right in the heart of Middle Tennessee, mostly I-65, some I-40.

Therefore I have justified in my mind the purchase of a Jetta Sportwagen TDI, which I predict will occur on or about 2/22.

Now the questions: Which dealer? I have recently stopped by Hallwark VW in the Coolsprings area for a test drive. I left with confirmation that a TDI is what I want need, but not so impressed with the dealer itself. Really struggled to get the salesman and sales manager to quit trying to sell me a car and listen to what I had to say. A follow-up phone-call from the dealer 2 days later confirmed he hadn't heard a word I had said.

Question #1: Is there someone at Hallmark VW I should request to work with -or- just go to Murfreesboro (Signature VW)?

I really like the idea of using my local dealer, hopefully that will equate to better service after the sale (I said hopefully, not being naive).

Question #2: Used or New?

I am completely open to a good 2010, 11 or 12 used copy. But so far my research has revealed that with the prices the used ones are bringing, and factoring in the included service (50,000 miles?), warranty, incentives, and discounted finance rates; one might as well purchase a new one. Agree? Best source for a used one? Autotrader.com comes up with NO viable options.

Question #3: After purchase, any suggestions for the best place to buy top-quality fuel for one of these along I-65?

I have always known that diesels are very sensitive to the amount of water that is in the fuel. Fuel stations that have relatively new tanks and sell a good volume of fuel that in turn rotates their stock out with fresh regularly should be preferred. Or am I over-thinking this?

Part of my problem is that I have decided on a Black exterior, black interior, automatic with sunroof version (the middle one, not the Nav version). I would consider a red exterior, but that is my only concession. This applies to both used or new.

This seems to be an almost impossible combination to locate. They are all either silver or white with the "Corn Silk Beige" interior. That interior looks basically white to me. Ok, if your able to live a spotlessly clean life, for which I cannot. My profession and hectic lifestyle with teenage kids forbids it.

Enough for now - any suggestions for a wanna be VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI customer in Tennessee?

Thanks -

2007 R1200GS ADV
2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
PWarren4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:42 AM   #139
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWarren4 View Post

Snipped

Enough for now - any suggestions for a wanna be VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI customer in Tennessee?

Thanks -
All your regional questions can be answered in the TDI forum

Considering your route find a good truck stop and fill there on a regular basis. I've kept a fuel log which can be helpful if you ever get bad fuel. In 77k I haven't had a problem.

You are right about going new. I have a 2010 with plenty of miles and I wouldn't let it go cheap if at all. IMO, only the original owner will benefit from paying the premium for the diesel and that's only if they keep it for a while, my payback will be between 95 and 100k. With finance rates and promotions on a monthly basis the difference isn't enough to justify used, esp for your scenario.

The only way you could save $$$ used is if you searched hard for a low mile unit of the previous generation but even those command a bit of a premium.

One way to find the black / black tdi you seek pick the local dealer you want to have service it. Find the General Manager (not the sales manager) and tell him you want a very specific TDI and if they'll find it for you and will either swing a deal with the other dealer to transfer it (not likely) or let you know where it is you will be servicing it with them.

I miss the days of being able to search multiple dealer inventories from one query.

Ritalin Boy screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 02:49 AM
Old 01-19-2013, 05:00 AM   #140
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWarren4 View Post

Part of my problem is that I have decided on a Black exterior, black interior, automatic with sunroof version (the middle one, not the Nav version). I would consider a red exterior, but that is my only concession. This applies to both used or new.

Thanks -
Learn to properly utilize the search function on Autotrader. For that particular color combo (which will feel like an indian sweat lodge for 7 months of the year here in TN), you might have to drive a few hours to find the car you want. Be patient. Also, you may want to post up in Southeast Regionals here for dealer advice.
Here are couple in AL less than 2 hours from you.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...37302447&Log=0
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...35043604&Log=0
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:29 AM   #141
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Learn to properly utilize the search function on Autotrader. For that particular color combo (which will feel like an indian sweat lodge for 7 months of the year here in TN), you might have to drive a few hours to find the car you want. Be patient. Also, you may want to post up in Southeast Regionals here for dealer advice.
20k for a 58,000 mile example. As a TDI owner I do love how they retain their value.

I wonder if all his door locks still work.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #142
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
20k for a 58,000 mile example. As a TDI owner I do love how they retain their value.
No kidding! I'm not sure they really sell for that kind of money, but people do ask a lot for them.
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #143
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
[QUOTE=PWarren4;20522086]OK guys - right up front I want to apologize for being overly regional.

Question #2: Used or New?

I am completely open to a good 2010, 11 or 12 used copy. But so far my research has revealed that with the prices the used ones are bringing, and factoring in the included service (50,000 miles?), warranty, incentives, and discounted finance rates; one might as well purchase a new one. Agree? Best source for a used one? Autotrader.com comes up with NO viable options.

Question #3: After purchase, any suggestions for the best place to buy top-quality fuel for one of these along I-65?

I have always known that diesels are very sensitive to the amount of water that is in the fuel. Fuel stations that have relatively new tanks and sell a good volume of fuel that in turn rotates their stock out with fresh regularly should be preferred. Or am I over-thinking this?[Quote]

I did the same math. Bought 2 new TDIs. First a sedan in 00, second a wagon in 03. Both times it made sense to buy new rather than hunt for one, even in a big city with three dealers. Traded the 00 for the 03 and got $3k more on the trade than I expected and had about $3k in maint/repairs coming on the 00 (timing belt, clutch). This was during the time that VW had put the standard clutch into the TDI and the torque blew them apart. It was also the time when dealers were using Castrol (crap) oil and the duty cycle of the EGR sooted the intakes up like a MF.

As for fuel, Yes, high volume is your friend, but Howe's Fuel Treat at 4oz per tank is the best insurance you will ever get. The stuff is cheap ($16/half gal) and pre-dispense into 4 oz bottles is perfect for tank fills. In my time driving a band bus with generator, the ONLY time I ever had trouble with fuel was when I hadn't added the stuff and I only filled the pig at large truck stops, perferrably Flying J. Which, BTW, you can never go wrong with F-J fuel and service.

I concur about black on black. HOT. Go with the red. Happy Hunting!
Old 01-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #144
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaximusv View Post
I concur about black on black. HOT. Go with the red. Happy Hunting!
Some of us like to be warm. I used to have a black S-10 pickup (with a dark gray interior) and had no trouble with the interior temp. In summer, I'll sit in the vehicle with the windows up and the A/C off for a few minutes just to let the heat soak in if I've been in an air-conditioned building. And the ice melts off the windows faster in winter.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #145
PWarren4
Lost & Confused

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Yes, I have seen both of those listings on Autotrader, through a proper search.

But, since I don't currently have enough cash on hand to cover the entire purchase (No Dave Ramsey rants please), I need to keep my options open with financing and covering the taxes. Therefore, that limits me to within the state of TN, or a dealer that can transfer a car to within the state.

Thanks for the Feedback!

Another fuel question: What's the consensus on Loves's truck-stops for diesel? I'm really not a fan of their gasoline and contribute 2 burned out catalytic converters to their gas (excess ethanol?, a discussion for another thread). Does the diesel for passenger cars come from the same source and/or tanks as the rigs?

Will research Howe's Fuel Treatment, as well as Stanadyne...

2007 R1200GS ADV
2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
PWarren4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #146
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,316
Why would a fuel pump replacement be more than $1,000?
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #147
C Squared
Now with TURBO!

Oddometer: 6,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
Why would a fuel pump replacement be more than $1,000?

Because it is a diesel injection pump.... Not a fuel pump.

Kind of a total different animal.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #148
falconati
baller

Oddometer: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Squared View Post

Just another reason TDIs are better!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #149
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Squared View Post

Some TDIs have both a fuel (lift) pump, and an injection pump.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #150
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Some TDIs have both a fuel (lift) pump, and an injection pump.
Some have three: a lift pump, a transfer pump, and an injection pump.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: