Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 05:35 AM   #181
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripletreat View Post
Your bud had a rotor go out in Utah and, faced with trucking the bike to Canada or replacing the rotor there where the bike died, he rented a truck and hauled it home???
Are you serious?
Naw, you gotta be pulling our leg here....

Yeah, I was wondering about that too....
Old 01-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #182
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripletreat View Post
Your bud had a rotor go out in Utah and, faced with trucking the bike to Canada or replacing the rotor there where the bike died, he rented a truck and hauled it home???
Are you serious?
Naw, you gotta be pulling our leg here....

Well, true, there were other problems [gearbox issues], but the rotor took out the stator, diode board, and hall sensor, and held them up for quite a while. The gearbox issue was the final straw.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #183
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
Well, true, there were other problems [gearbox issues], but the rotor took out the stator, diode board, and hall sensor, and held them up for quite a while. The gearbox issue was the final straw.
No, bringing the bike to Shail's was the final straw. I'd rather torch my bikes than let any of Shail's goons touch them every again. Made that mistake once, back in 1999. No twice... when I was in a hurry in 2004 and let them change a tire I brought in and they charged my $78 in labor.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #184
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malindi View Post
No, bringing the bike to Shail's was the final straw. I'd rather torch my bikes than let any of Shail's goons touch them every again. Made that mistake once, back in 1999. No twice... when I was in a hurry in 2004 and let them change a tire I brought in and they charged my $78 in labor.

yeah, i hear ya. I've been hot & cold with Shail. He's a great guy, and his son Shane a good kid who's trying hard. Shail used to fly off the handle, but found out his diabetes was quite bad, he's got that managed now. But Shail employed intil quite recently what i could best describe as a,,,,,,,serious drunk. He's gone now.

I need some basic diagnostics done on my '08 GS1200, he's got the unit to do it, so does Pacific. Who would you go to? BTW, Pacific's recently been taken over by the ownership conglomerate behind John Valk BMW.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #185
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Quote:
Who would you go to? BTW, Pacific's recently been taken over by the ownership conglomerate behind John Valk BMW.
Out of those two, I'd have to suggest SM Cycle on the Island .... :-)

Or the outfit the original owners started somewhere in the interior.

One of the reasons I've never looked at a new BMW was the lack of service in the lower mainland.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #186
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
Lets just set the record straight: just because the Enduralast is simpler and easier for non-electrical people to diagnose, does not make it a superior system. A variable output alternator (like the stock system) is superior in every way. That's why so many motorcycles and ALL cars & trucks use that type of alternator.

BMW made a few fatal mistakes when implementing it: the lame grounding on the diode board and the diode board design itself. The Motorrad Elektrik fixes both problems and bumps the output to 450 watts.

The Omega is far superior to the Enduralast. The Enduralast is a fine adaptation of stone-axe technology (if it's broke, it's the handle or it's the head). They didn't do anything technically 'wrong' with the design. They're two different charging philosophies and the Omega is the better of the two in every way except simplicity of troubleshooting and replacing parts (the stator or the regulator).:
+1 on the basic design.

Thunderchild diode boards? They go bad too! Had one for ten years? I have seen many a stock diode board last way over ten years. Personally, I have never had a stock diode board go bad and I have been riding my airheads for a lot of years and miles. I think a lot of them are shorted out with the cover. I have had two rotors go bad. One around 70k miles and the other round 140k miles total on the rotor (different bike).

supershaft screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 03:41 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #187
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
+1 on the basic design.

Thunderchild diode boards? They go bad too! Had one for ten years? I have seen many a stock diode board last way over ten years. Personally, I have never had a stock diode board go bad and I have been riding my airheads for a lot of years and miles. I think a lot of them are shorted out with the cover. I have had two rotors go bad. One around 70k miles and the other round 140k miles total on the rotor (different bike).
You can also use the Omega diode board as a straight replacement for the stock one. Works very well too.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #188
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malindi View Post
You can also use the Omega diode board as a straight replacement for the stock one. Works very well too.

BTW, Kevin, I've enjoyed reading your updates on your travels. Your pics are very good. Your observations are interesting regarding each country you have passed through, especially recently Central and South America. I had heard that political change has caused drastic monetary situations in Argentina, but you've now confirmed, it's a pricey place to visit!!
Old 03-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #189
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Updating on the operation of this system. It really does work great. I've monitored the system over the last 2 months now, specifically with intention to study the operation of the Nippon Denso regulator/recitifer, of which I still have minimal trust from previous issues on other bikes I've had. So far, it's output to the battery has not exceeded 13.6V dc no matter how high the engine spins,,,,and I'm very satisfied.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:42 AM   #190
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,941
Quote:
Updating on the operation of this system. It really does work great. I've monitored the system over the last 2 months now, specifically with intention to study the operation of the Nippon Denso regulator/recitifer, of which I still have minimal trust from previous issues on other bikes I've had. So far, it's output to the battery has not exceeded 13.6V dc no matter how high the engine spins,,,,and I'm very satisfied.
at 13.6v max output, rate to charge battery would be slow. is your battery staying charged?
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote