Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #16
DriftDragon
Wanderer

Oddometer: 198
I can't decide which bike I want to do a clinic on more... Wish I could bring both but I suspect I will want to ride the bike out.

One thing people don't talk about which I hate is riding on gravel. Not that I want to spend much of a learning session on it but I sure do want to figure out how to manage gravel roads with reasonable speed through the curves on the mountain forest roads around here.

Can I get a PM on the advrider info too?

I kinda wish I could spend a whole week with you since its so far for me and I need help across the board in two disciplines... dirt and adventure riding wirh my gs.

So when I am done I should be able to at least podium at Dakar right?

2003 KTM 525 EXC RFS
DriftDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #17
J Lewis OP
Numb Nuts

Oddometer: 497
Podium at Dakar? No problem.

The answer to the gravel road is the same answer I give to most questions which revolves around the basic fundamentals of riding. First is that most riders ride out of balance (at least slightly) a majority of the time. And when you are out of balance the effects are amplified if the traction is compromised (gravel, sand, mud, snow). Second is that most riders compensate for the balance issue with speed or momentum. Add the fact that you are uncertain about the surface you are riding on and being tense or tight on the bike compounds the problems that are occurring. So in reality what is happening is a series of corrections, none of which are actually helping you to ride more relaxed, more in control and more efficiently. A lot of times you feel that you are not going fast enough (more speed would make you feel more balanced) and at the same time you don't feel comfortable slowing down (the out of balance shows its ugly head.)

OK, so in reality what we teach is recognizing a high level of balance and to have excellent control of the motorcycle through the throttle, clutch and brakes and using your balanced weight to control the bike and make it go where you want it to. Riding like this you rethink the braking points and then the lines you take when riding. You'll feel like you are going slower but in reality you'll be riding faster, mostly because of the far fewer mistakes that you make. And all this takes is practice once you get pointed in the right direction. It takes a full day of drills to put all the pieces together but after that it is all about practice and you can do that any time you are riding the motorcycle. Being in better control of the brakes and throttle only amplify the control you have on any surface.

As for the proper bike, the smaller the bike the more you will learn in the class as you can take the drills and push them farther without getting uncomfortable. Though we teach the same skill sets no matter the type pf bike in the beginning.

If you are riding out we have some smaller rental bikes you could use.
J Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #18
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,417
great insight. thnx
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lewis View Post
Podium at Dakar? No problem.

The answer to the gravel road is the same answer I give to most questions which revolves around the basic fundamentals of riding. First is that most riders ride out of balance (at least slightly) a majority of the time. And when you are out of balance the effects are amplified if the traction is compromised (gravel, sand, mud, snow). Second is that most riders compensate for the balance issue with speed or momentum. Add the fact that you are uncertain about the surface you are riding on and being tense or tight on the bike compounds the problems that are occurring. So in reality what is happening is a series of corrections, none of which are actually helping you to ride more relaxed, more in control and more efficiently. A lot of times you feel that you are not going fast enough (more speed would make you feel more balanced) and at the same time you don't feel comfortable slowing down (the out of balance shows its ugly head.)

OK, so in reality what we teach is recognizing a high level of balance and to have excellent control of the motorcycle through the throttle, clutch and brakes and using your balanced weight to control the bike and make it go where you want it to. Riding like this you rethink the braking points and then the lines you take when riding. You'll feel like you are going slower but in reality you'll be riding faster, mostly because of the far fewer mistakes that you make. And all this takes is practice once you get pointed in the right direction. It takes a full day of drills to put all the pieces together but after that it is all about practice and you can do that any time you are riding the motorcycle. Being in better control of the brakes and throttle only amplify the control you have on any surface.

As for the proper bike, the smaller the bike the more you will learn in the class as you can take the drills and push them farther without getting uncomfortable. Though we teach the same skill sets no matter the type pf bike in the beginning.

If you are riding out we have some smaller rental bikes you could use.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #19
DriftDragon
Wanderer

Jimmy I read your response on my phone right after you posted it and have been thinking on it over the holidays. I have to say that is precisely why I want to come and learn from you. That logical explanation hit home perfectly. I had been thinking what I really need is some drills to embed the right technique in my mind and muscle memory and I was thinking that's what I could get from your sessions. Your response confirmed what I was thinking I really needed was correct. Someone watching me and helping me do it and get it right and learn what "right" feels like is exactly what I think I need most.

I thought about what you said as I was out riding today. Just the concept of it being about good balance helped me tremendously in the gravel today. If you can help me with a forum post I am excited about finding a chance to come out and see what you can do for me in person!

I really want to thank you for sharing the information. You used PT Barnum's secret... give something away and people will buy from you until the cows come home. You gave away good solid useful advice and I am gonna find a way to come to your school and hopefully I can talk some people into coming with me.

Thanks again Jimmy.

2003 KTM 525 EXC RFS
Old 01-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #20
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
Hey Jimmy,

I think at one time you had a "What is it like to follow Dakar" class, but do you ever have a navigation class?
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #21
J Lewis OP
Numb Nuts

Every so often we do a true rally Navigation training class, see thread here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746910

and we will be doing a Rally Navigation "Lite" class after the AltRider event in February Link here:

http://jimmylewisoffroad.com/2012/11...sign-ups-open/

Hope this answers the question.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #22
traveltoad
Aaron S

Yes it does, thank you!

How often do you offer a Navigation class in the course of a year? (Not sure if I can make the one in Feb)
Old 01-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #23
J Lewis OP
Numb Nuts

Navigation classes are upon request of a confirmed paying client, then we announce we are doing it if the client wants it to be an open class. The price is dependent on the number of students and the routes used.

There is a thread in the racing forum "I want to to Dakar (the Right Way)" that announces these as well as notifications on our web site and through our newsletter when we know far enough in advance.

JIMMY
Old 01-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #24
traveltoad
Aaron S

I will watch for the next class, thanks Jimmy!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #25
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,069
Hi Jimmy
Any chance you may do a traveling school in the future? I know some have problems coordinating time off to get down south.
Always loved riding the escargot course during the DR torture test .
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #26
J Lewis OP
Numb Nuts

Since I'm no longer strapped down with a day job I will be traveling during the summer months and arranging classes along the way. If you have a proposed time and place, let me know and I can put it into the consideration list for when I plan my trips. The closer the location to great riding the better!
Old 01-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #27
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,058
Anchorage, Alaska? Have a large riding area 30 minutes away with plenty of sand and water crossings. Unfortunately I won't be here during the summer this year. Next year yes.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:40 AM   #28
DriftDragon
Wanderer

Chattanooga Tennessee! Jimmy if you come here I will make darn sure you have a class slam full! Great riding? lol... We got Some of the best riding in the world!

Seriously... PM me and I will do whatever it takes to help you organize it!

2003 KTM 525 EXC RFS
Old 02-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #29
J Lewis OP
Numb Nuts

Here is our latest riding tip on front brake usage. These go out in our newsletter and are put up on our web site as we get them out.

http://jimmylewisoffroad.com/2013/02...e-front-brake/

Happy Riding,

JIMMY
Old 03-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #30
J Lewis OP
Numb Nuts

Here is a list of our current class schedule leading up to the summer, plus a special event.

UPCOMING DATES AND EVENTS

MARCH
March 9-10, 2013
Series One Class-All Bikes, All Levels
(almost full!)

March 23-24, 2013
(almost full!)

March 27th
Special one-day class before DV Noob Rally

March 28-31
DV Noob Rally, Panament Springs, CA
(Event is full but we look forward to seeing a lot of our students, past and future out there.)

APRIL
April 27-28, 2013
(new class wide open)

MAY
May 11-12, 2013
(new class wide open)

June 1,2, 2013
JLR Student Appreciation Ride-In and Camp Out

Get info here: http://jimmylewisoffroad.com/contact/

Cost of class: $600 for two days of instruction and trail techniques.
How long is the class? Two Days
Types of bikes: Dual sport, Adventure Bikes, and Dirt bikes. Rental bikes available.

J Lewis screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 04:19 PM