Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #14161
ferretface
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian Waffles View Post
Pretty! What kind of seat is that?
http://www.topsellerie.co.uk - you can design it on their website right down to the piping

http://heyivegotanidea.wordpress.com/
ferretface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #14162
gigikoln3
n00b

Oddometer: 5
This is my very small present side panels lights..

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/982/pa310635.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img99/181/pb010495.jpg

With all lights on...

http://imageshack.us/a/img339/5742/pb010496.jpg

gigikoln3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #14163
gigikoln3
n00b

My big ass Transalp 600

http://imageshack.us/a/img684/3226/p3170015k.jpg
Old 01-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #14164
Rob 110
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigikoln3 View Post
nice lights and small
what watts/amps, how much and where from?
thanks
Rob 110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #14165
gigikoln3
n00b

They don´t say in the package... Just say 12V Super bright led.

I bought in a local store in Lisbon, for 20€ , and i have made the support´s by myself...
Old 01-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #14166
Rob 110
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
some progress:

CR500 forks in with Transalp springs
brake calipers rebuilt
'82 CR250 shock in, with Transalp spring ground out a bit
added 4.5" to stand

GSXR pipe and DIY linkpipe and guard (bit cr@p)
Husky 250 tail
wide pegs

seat butchered

recovered

DIY forkbrace

next:
headlamp
fairing
bashplate
front fender
etc etc
Rob 110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #14167
Dr E
Chasing after theory

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
PHOTOS

.............please
OK, got some more work done between the games today and a chance to grab some pics of a couple of items. Given that the bike is still in a bunch of pieces I will hit some high lights for now.

Before the pictures a quick story, when I pulled the crash bars off, I was not planning on painting them or having to do anything to them. Well, as I was moving some parts, I kicked them and notice something chipped off???? Chipped of metal? Well, I dug a little deeper and found out the PO had used BONDO to fill in where he had not welded! Yes, bondo instead of welding on crash bars. After looking at this some more, I figured out that he tacked it in place and never did anything to finish it off except to farkle it instead of finishing the job right. So, 20 minutes of sanding four sections, quick weld job and they were as they should have been.. I tell you, when going through a previously owned bike, you have to check everything and not take anything at face value. Now to the pictures.

This is the rebuilt 83' XR250 shock and spring installled

Here is an overview which shows the swing arm. The dark area has been covered in heavy duty bed liner to prevent the chipping I had to clean up.

This is the XR450 rear fender grafted onto the TA's previously shortened fender. I was really impressed with how easy it was able to bolt up. I did use a solid layer of adhesive which has bonded like concrete. Otherwise I was able to use the main tail light bracket to blend and hold the sections together.

16T front sprocket:

The Corbin seat with her new skin. The main seat section has a non slip material (including wet conditions):

There has been some debate about tire fitment and whether or not a 150 will fit...nothing like jumping in and trying. It does fit and yes, it is a little crooked as I have not tightened anything down:

Here is a side view with the inverted brake set up (that was so easy even a caveman can do it)!

With the new suspension in and wheels on, she sits a good 5" higher then before...oh this is so nice now!

Old 01-21-2013, 12:41 AM   #14168
gkam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr E View Post

Used the Ladder106 engine mount upgrade to grade 8 bolts

Nice Transalps, Dr E and Rob 110!: clap

But what is Ladder 106 engine mount upgrade?
gkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:33 AM   #14169
orso
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
tire

che marca di gomme hai montato ?????
orso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #14170
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,575
Dr E, nice work, And +1 on not taking any previous work for granted. You must have a very understanding wife.
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #14171
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,924
Thumb YAY...piccies

Thanks for the photos, DrE.

Body filler on the crashbars That's a new one. Seems like it would be more trouble than just finishing the welds....How odd.

Here's a few extra things I thought of as a reward for updating us "visual learners"

....You can extend the forward part of the rear fender (down at the swingarm) by using a flap to continue the fender down past the swingarm brace section. I used some heavy rubber from a computer mouse pad....you can get them cheap and in all kinds of colors or logos.

....There has been lots of discussion on the CS sprocket. Personally, I've decided to only use the official Honda part here. The 16T CS sprocket from the Honda Hawk will fit perfectly on the TA here. It is a bit more expensive than the JT product...but...as a bonus comes with a nice rubber "noise damper" bit molded to the outside that contacts the side links of the chain.

But the real reason for using this is because we as a group have never scientifically determined the real reason for the sever output shaft spline wear that is seen on some TAs.

My personal opinion is that this wear comes from running the chain tension set to "street bike" standards by inexperienced owners or even shop techs.

But the real reason I use the Honda part is that I've not paid a lab to do "Rockwell" hardness testing on (a) the output shaft (b) the Honda CS sprocket and (c) the JT or other oftermarket sprockets that advertise that they are "hardened".

So...while a "hardened" CS sprocket would sound - at face value - to be a good thing. It is decidedly NOT a good thing if the sprocket is harder than the output shaft. If it is....wear occurs on the shaft and not on the sprocket.

Obviously it is much easier and less expensive to replace the CS sprocket than the output shaft.

.......so......that's why the official HONDA part at this particular location. I happily use the JT stuff on my other bikes and at the rear wheel sprocket.

One more tidbit, E. The CR shock reservoir MAY interfere with the standard TA coolant tank. If it does (it did when I used the AT shock and it does with my Ricor unit too) the coolant tank can be relocated almost anywhere. Small tanks can be found at auto wreckers in may different configurations. I'm still playing with the best one for the AT nose fairing. I figure that mounting it where the pilot can see it is a good idea.

Right now my DR750 is more torn down than your TA...but I'm working on it . Well see who has a running machine first.

.......Thanks for the photos....
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #14172
Dr E
Chasing after theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkam View Post
Nice Transalps, Dr E and Rob 110!: clap

But what is Ladder 106 engine mount upgrade?
Ray's (ladder106's) engine mounting upgrade is drilling out the existing front bolt holes and installing Grade 8 bolts. The factory Honda bolts are very soft and while this is not a problem of motors shearing them off, with engine guards they could run the risk of snapping if you happen to test gravity on the side of the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orso View Post
che marca di gomme hai montato ?????
Estoy corriendo el Shinko 705 como un experimento. Hay mucha discusión neumático en la pizarra y varios amigos los están utilizando aquí y me gustaron mucho. Así que veremos cómo estas dos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
Dr E, nice work, And +1 on not taking any previous work for granted. You must have a very understanding wife.
This is my art studio/guest home next door to our main home. I have been building bikes in there for years and what makes it nice is its warm in the winter, cool in the summer and I can have the games playing on the TV and food/beer stock in the kitchen. Really works our as a win/win all the way around. When I am not working on bikes, that space is used for painting, pottery or anyone of the mediums I enjoy working in.

Quote:
Thanks for the photos, DrE.

Body filler on the crashbars That's a new one. Seems like it would be more trouble than just finishing the welds....How odd.

Here's a few extra things I thought of as a reward for updating us "visual learners"

....You can extend the forward part of the rear fender (down at the swingarm) by using a flap to continue the fender down past the swingarm brace section. I used some heavy rubber from a computer mouse pad....you can get them cheap and in all kinds of colors or logos.
Yeah, the bondo really got me on that one as well, but you never know what is running through someones head when they do something. As for the extention, I already have that one worked out and its sitting on the pool table with the rear fender. I saw you had done this earlier in the thread and liked it. No sense fighting mud and gunk in the shock if I don't need to. That was a nice mod you did so I am copying this and many things you have done.

Quote:
....There has been lots of discussion on the CS sprocket. Personally, I've decided to only use the official Honda part here. The 16T CS sprocket from the Honda Hawk will fit perfectly on the TA here. It is a bit more expensive than the JT product...but...as a bonus comes with a nice rubber "noise damper" bit molded to the outside that contacts the side links of the chain.
I need to go back and revisit this and see about ordering the OEM sprocket on this. I like the idea of the rubber dampener. Fortunately the spline on mine looks as good as the day it rolled out the factory as there no noticeable wear and the chain (while in bad shape) had enough slack to tell me someone did it right. Thanks for pointing out the differences between them, to much work into the bike to let something like this screw it up down the road.

Quote:
One more tidbit, E. The CR shock reservoir MAY interfere with the standard TA coolant tank. If it does (it did when I used the AT shock and it does with my Ricor unit too) the coolant tank can be relocated almost anywhere. Small tanks can be found at auto wreckers in may different configurations. I'm still playing with the best one for the AT nose fairing. I figure that mounting it where the pilot can see it is a good idea.
I saw what you were doing with yours and noticed the different coolant bottle. I have not worked out if I am going to used a alternate location and different bottle or what...but I did position my shock with the reservoir leading away from the bottle. We will see shortly what the final configuration I end up with and location.

Quote:
Right now my DR750 is more torn down than your TA...but I'm working on it . Well see who has a running machine first.
I am not going to race you on this as you know have a tad bit more disposable time on your hands for fun stuff then I do. I bet you could have two bikes done by the time I finally get this wrapped up...so I concede victory to you right now.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #14173
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr E View Post

This is my art studio/guest home next door to our main home. I have been building bikes in there for years and what makes it nice is its warm in the winter, cool in the summer and I can have the games playing on the TV and food/beer stock in the kitchen. Really works our as a win/win all the way around. When I am not working on bikes, that space is used for painting, pottery or anyone of the mediums I enjoy working in.
Wow, what a nice set up. Congrats. Would love to see some of your other work, maybe here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523072
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #14174
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,924
E,

Not really a competition

Just a comment meant more to keep me motivated to foray out into a chilly garage and keep working.

Painting and ceramics, huh....You renaissance men are a bit scary

Just finished service on the steering head and suspension link bearings. Thankfully Suzuki uses caged needles rather than the loose ones on the TA. No chasing tiny bits of metal across the floor.

Today the suspension gets reassembled and some electrical connections get cleaned up.

You're making good progress so long as you're not distracted by a lump of wet clay.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #14175
Dr E
Chasing after theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
Wow, what a nice set up. Congrats. Would love to see some of your other work, maybe here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523072
Cool beans...that's what I love about this site so much is the diversity of everyone and the cordial nature. I had not found that thread before...now I have to go pull some of my images for things into there.

Quote:
E,

Not really a competition

Just a comment meant more to keep me motivated to foray out into a chilly garage and keep working.

Painting and ceramics, huh....You renaissance men are a bit scary

Just finished service on the steering head and suspension link bearings. Thankfully Suzuki uses caged needles rather than the loose ones on the TA. No chasing tiny bits of metal across the floor.

Today the suspension gets reassembled and some electrical connections get cleaned up.

You're making good progress so long as you're not distracted by a lump of wet clay.
Hey, I am not a wet lump of clay...you been talking with Robin again!

Oh yeah, those needle bearings. I did not use air to clean those out, but they are like herding cats when they come loose! I was grateful when that task was over.

There has been a reason I have enjoyed building Suzuki's all these years, so many of their components are mated with other bikes and their subsystems and components are easy (in my mind) to work with.

Enough lolly gagging on my part, got to go save the world for another day!