User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 02:18 AM   #1
sh0rtlife OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
honda 600 oil ring?!?!?!?

im a tad confused and probably being over cautious ..so be it...anyway all my rings spec out as they should but i noticed that the oil ring(the the scrapers that go on both sides of it) buckles a bit when stuffed into the jug..and when i say buckles..i mean some areas pull away from the jug as other press on it tight...its not by alot as in i cant even take a pic of it but i KNOW its a tight fit in there...piston is a 10.5 JE unit from XR's

so do i worry about it or just toss it together?

if anyones got any words of wisdom on the re-assemble speak up id like to hear em
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:27 AM   #2
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,240
What`s the ring gap???????

I`ve never seen this on the XR650L..i`ve used quite a few in rebuilds i`ve done....

And did you bore the cylinder....sounds like an out of round cylinder to me...i`d have a proffesional measure it in 3 spots and at 3 different areas down the bore....

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
sh0rtlife OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
What`s the ring gap???????

I`ve never seen this on the XR650L..i`ve used quite a few in rebuilds i`ve done....

And did you bore the cylinder....sounds like an out of round cylinder to me...i`d have a proffesional measure it in 3 spots and at 3 different areas down the bore....

B
its not out of round thats for sure..not only did the pro spec it out i trust him as ive been using him since the early 90s...but when i found this i checked it myself..perfectly round...im not sure how you would "gap" the oil ring since its the wavy one...so i took the "holding" wire out of one side and set the ring in and let it overlap itself then mic'd it came out about -1.5mm as in its that much TOO BIG..hell there isnt even a spec for its gap...as for the bore its a 101..the thought crossed my mind to file fit it but i wasnt sure if it was suposed to be a tight fit for some reason but this seems to me like it would score the crap out of things or wear itself thin and break apart..worse is to file fit it the tab points in the ridges wont be the same....so...im baffled

sh0rtlife screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 12:07 PM
Old 01-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
sh0rtlife OP
Studly Adventurer

called up XR's and there sending me out a new ring set
Old 01-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,240
Do you mean,so i`m definately on the same page as you,,,,,,that the side rails on the oil ring are buckling,,,,,,,or the expander part......

Either way,neither should buckle when installed correctly on the piston and compressed with a ring compressor or the cylinder.....

See what the new rings do for you........

But.....rings need to be filed to fit when purchased from JE.....there is a spec sheet that tells you min gaps for both top rings as well as the oil scraper rings depending on the size of the bore and application the rings are used in....the wavy expander does not need to be gapped....

Do not use Honda specs for the gaps either,they will be to tight at operating temperature and the ends will butt together causing the rings to buckle......DAMHIK..........been there,done that,,,,,,,caught it before damage occurred to the cylinder......

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
sh0rtlife OP
Studly Adventurer

the expander fits in the piston fine...but its soo big that it trys to buckle when stuffed in the jug..even without it being in the piston...i can fit the whole piston and ring assembly into the jug but as soom as it gets to the expander i pay hell getting it in..thats how bad it is
Old 01-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,133
got a bad set of rings?????????????????

set key word here...
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:43 AM   #8
sh0rtlife OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
got a bad set of rings?????????????????

set key word here...
how is it the whole set thats bad if everything else specs out perfectly?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #9
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,133
think about it...set

you have the 3 rings...top, oil control and bottom...maybe someone put in and oil control ring for a BIGGER oversize in your set

not being devils advocate here...

its happened before, buy a piston kit only to get bad rings

just trying to help
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
The scraper cán be a bitch to install...As I recall (on different bike) it seemed what you call "too big" just like the normal pistonrings, you need to somewhat compress it.