ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #22651
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!
 
Madhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Cantonment Florida
Oddometer: 3,256
Sounds good Rick but gotta work.
Tell us all about it.
Missed you today.

Just got off the phone with Melvin and he's OK. Another set of handlebars and he'll be good.
Lou (on the Super Tenere) faired quite a bit worse. X-ray says a chipped ankle bone.
No flat tracking for him next weekend.
Did anybody count the riders that showed up this morning?
15?? More?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods Rider View Post
I'm leaving Navarre around 7:30 and riding up through Burnt Corn, Beatrice to Camden where I plan to catch the 11:15 ferry at Gees Bend. Then north to CR4 over to Hwy 5 the south to Pine Hill for a late lunch.

I will be heading down 35 via Lower Peachtree to 84 then by Perdue Hill.

All are welcome.

PM me if you want to take this great ride through Alabama and back.
__________________
Madhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #22652
Woods Rider
X-Crazed Racing Fool
 
Woods Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Navarre, FL
Oddometer: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhouse View Post
Sounds good Rick but gotta work.
Tell us all about it.
Missed you today.

Just got off the phone with Melvin and he's OK. Another set of handlebars and he'll be good.
Lou (on the Super Tenere) faired quite a bit worse. X-ray says a chipped ankle bone.
No flat tracking for him next weekend.
Did anybody count the riders that showed up this morning?
15?? More?
Melvin? Bars? Chipped ankle?

I thought this was gonna be a no-scratchy the plastic ride today...lol!

I will share the RR for sure...

Sherpa it's around 300 miles or so.

Found out they ferry in Lower Peactree is out of commission awaiting a replacement. That's a shame, I loved that old thing!
__________________
2009 530 EXC - Dualsport Rocket Ship
2004 DL1000 VStrom - For the road

Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out the window of a car!
Woods Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #22653
sherpaguy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: 300k north of big smoke
Oddometer: 106
Thanks for the info
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods Rider View Post
Melvin? Bars? Chipped ankle?

I thought this was gonna be a no-scratchy the plastic ride today...lol!

I will share the RR for sure...

Sherpa it's around 300 miles or so.

Found out they ferry in Lower Peactree is out of commission awaiting a replacement. That's a shame, I loved that old thing!
sherpaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #22654
livetosail
Wayward Traveler
 
livetosail's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Pensacola, FL
Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhouse View Post
Did anybody count the riders that showed up this morning?
15?? More?
Best count I can make is 19 in the parking lot at Whataburger according to my pictures.


Melvin and I were last to leave with the group that went through Blackwater. I think there were 5-6 or so that stayed behind and did some other ride. I saw a Goldwing in the parking lot... was kinda hoping he'd follow into the woods.

Since I wasn't the only one of us there today, I'm sure someone else will post a trip report. So I'll summarize the main points.


I was consistently at the back of the pack (always stopping to change camera angles and mounts), so I happened to be around to pick up the pieces to all the wrecks.

Wreck #1: about a mile into the first off-road leg Lou on the blue Super Tenere came down going through a mud hole. Looked like he might have tried to ride the ridge between two ruts and slipped down into one.

Broke his windshield clean in two (which I forgot to get a picture of).


My favorite part was when Barney walked over and handed it back to Lou and said, "I don't suppose you'll want this now?"

Lou complained of a sore ankle, but said he was fine and wanted to ride on. Not sure whether or not he went down again later, but I know he soon called it quits and asked to be escorted to the nearest pavement sometime after that.

There were a few other minor scuffs here and there, and a few folks got stuck in the mud, but nothing major,

until...

Wreck #2: Coming around a corner on a dirt/gravel road somewhere across into Alabama, this pickup truck coming the opposite direction and riding WAY over on the wrong side of the road suddenly swings his door open just as Melvin is passing by. The door hits Melvin's bars, and his bike swerved hard to the right and went down in a ditch. As he passes me I see a very clear smile on the guy's face, and I hear him laughing.

There were only three of us together at that point as the rest of the pack had decided to speed up ahead. The guy in front of me on a red Honda swung around and gave chase while I made sure all was good with Melvin.

The guy in the truck stopped a few hundred feet down the road when he saw he was being followed. I ran up with my video rolling to make sure if anything went down we'd have coverage of it. Took some pictures of the license plate and truck as well. His driver's side door didn't have a handle on it... not sure if that was a result of the impact or if it was like that before?


He then plays all contrite and eventually drives back down the road and offers to help Melvin.



The real shame of it all was that although I saw the whole thing perfectly, I had chosen that leg of the trip to put the GoPro in the inner wheel well mount, so I didn't capture any shots of the actual event. It was pretty hairy to watch in real time.


Tried to get one more picture of the guy before he drove off. He ducked...

I rode with the pack till the end of that road. While changing up cameras again the pack road on ahead without me. I followed soon after, but lost track of everyone soon after that.

It was just as well. I had seen enough carnage for one day. True irony is to read the original announcement/advertisement of this ride (posted on BMW of Pensacola's Facebook page, January 16th): "The objective of this ride is to have fun without anyone beating up their plastic, breaking a lens, tweaking a bar, much less getting hurt. It should be a good ride for a beginner, or someone with moderate skills."

Hmmm...

- Beating up plastic- Yep (Lou)
- Breaking a lens (or windshield)- Yep (Lou)
- Tweaking a bar- Yep (Melvin's left handle bar)
- Getting hurt- Definitely (Lou's Ankle)

As for me and my beast, I have to say I love the red clay roads of the area, but on a bike as big as mine I think I am tempting fate to ride trails like that again.

I did get a decent amount of footage to make a quick video ride report though!

Enjoy

__________________
05' R1200GS
92' K75
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein
livetosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:44 AM   #22655
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!
 
Madhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Cantonment Florida
Oddometer: 3,256
Yea,
Bob M. wrote-up the ride description and his group of 4 riders didn't have any problems. "As advertised"

Our big group on the other hand rode a different route and the ride leader Brad G. said several times in the parking lot that it would be 90% dirt once we got in the forest.

As always,, we should ride at a pace we're each comfortable with and maybe things will work out.
After all, we are riding motorcycles.
__________________
Madhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #22656
MItrnsplnt
PllnGs tillthey puke
 
MItrnsplnt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Brigantine, NJ
Oddometer: 661
Seems like you guys have more issues/accidents on your beast/carnage rides than we ever do on our fastburns through Eglin/BW..... That guy that opened his truck door as you guys were passing and made whoever wreck, should have been drug out through the window of his door and beaten, you have to be shitting me for senseless crap like that!

On a good note, Highland Park was E P I C ! ! ! We started off on the 3D and 4D trails and eventually tempted fate on the 5D trails. All of the trails were just unbelievable and the 5D trails were a lot of off-camber climbs in conditions (wet/muddy/slick) that weren't that ideal for them. Over the 2 days, Rotorhead and I probably rode 90% of all the trails to exclude most the 1D and 2D trails. After about 2 hours of riding yesterday, I decided that I didn't have enough before lunch and wanted to test myself on lucky #13 (5D/Superman trail). Rotorhead said have at it and I'll meet you at the cabin for lunch. All I can say is that don't ever try the 5D trails, especially #13 by yourself. 1.5 hours later I finally drag myself off the trail completely spent/zapped of energy from 2 hill climbs that resembled something out of Erzberg, that literally took me 30-40 mins each to climb on multiple attempts taking breaks on portions part of the way up while holding the front brake, so my bike doesn't slide backwards down the hill, that I tell myself that I'm done for the day. This trail has nothing on anything in CO (mental fear) and was literally the most physically demanding trail that I have EVER ridden in my life. I've never felt so defeated but completed in the end, which was a feat in itself. All in all we had an awesome time, and the trails at Highland Park are probably the best in the SE portion of the U.S.! To have that many trails, that well maintained, and organized, that it doesn't compare to anything else!

I'll post some pics up soon.
__________________
'09 KTM 530EXC (do-it-all workhorse)
'04 KTM 250EXC (ST switchblade)
'13 Sherco 3.0 (trials billy-goat)
Rocky Mountain Ride 2011: Aspen to Crested Butte and back
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723271
MItrnsplnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #22657
RHM
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhouse View Post
Yea,
Bob M. wrote-up the ride description and his group of 4 riders didn't have any problems. "As advertised"

Our big group on the other hand rode a different route and the ride leader Brad G. said several times in the parking lot that it would be 90% dirt once we got in the forest.

As always,, we should ride at a pace we're each comfortable with and maybe things will work out.
After all, we are riding motorcycles.

Thanks Tony. We stopped, did a short hike, I gave a little history and we had a superb ride. Zactly....as advertised.

The hell of it is Brad and I were wondering if enough people were going to show up to put together a decent ride!

Bob
RHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #22658
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!
 
Madhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Cantonment Florida
Oddometer: 3,256
Yes Ian, it sure seems that way.

Had a bunch of GS's from 650cc up to the big ones and they did great. Dan was on his Honda TransAlp and scootin right along with that old hunk of junk.
Brad was on his Buell Ulysees and was clippin right along everywhere.
Mixed in the bunch was the usual DR's DRZ's and KLR's.


Brad and Bob, don't get discouraged at all.
Yawwl did good and its great to see some more ride leaders stepping up.
I enjoyed the ride and appreciate your efforts!

Oh yea,
saturday I bagged a big doe so looks like we'll have some more Cajun deer sausage dogs at Treemans event.
__________________
Madhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #22659
RHM
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhouse View Post
Yes Ian, it sure seems that way.

Had a bunch of GS's from 650cc up to the big ones and they did great. Dan was on his Honda TransAlp and scootin right along with that old hunk of junk.
Brad was on his Buell Ulysees and was clippin right along everywhere.
Mixed in the bunch was the usual DR's DRZ's and KLR's.


Brad and Bob, don't get discouraged at all.
Yawwl did good and its great to see some more ride leaders stepping up.
I enjoyed the ride and appreciate your efforts!

Oh yea,
saturday I bagged a big doe so looks like we'll have some more Cajun deer sausage dogs at Treemans event.
Oh, hell I don't get discouraged about this kinda stuff. Everyone is responsible for their own ride. Stop and turn around if you ever feel uncomfortable. Having said that, we did 70/30 dirt/pavement and I wanted absolutely nothing at all to do with mud. Mud and "No Drop" is darn near an oxymoron. We did two water crossings..simple ones..

Bob
RHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #22660
Barney
I reckon so
 
Barney's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Oddometer: 890
I enjoyed the ride, beautiful day to be out. Unfortunate about Lou's ankle though and glad Melvin didn't get any worse than bent bars and a broken watch band, someone needs to tell him that wearing a watch like that while riding a KLR is a direct violation of code and angers the KLR gods. Five of us continued on east and south, making our way through lots of water on river road, only had one submarine incident or maybe better described as a jet ski launch. Good to meet Eric (livetosail), need to get a ride going with BZ next time he's in town.
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #22661
skid=mark
Likes it Slidewayz
 
skid=mark's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Back in the Sandbox
Oddometer: 804
Thumb Highland Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by MItrnsplnt View Post
Seems like you guys have more issues/accidents on your beast/carnage rides than we ever do on our fastburns through Eglin/BW..... That guy that opened his truck door as you guys were passing and made whoever wreck, should have been drug out through the window of his door and beaten, you have to be shitting me for senseless crap like that!

On a good note, Highland Park was E P I C ! ! ! We started off on the 3D and 4D trails and eventually tempted fate on the 5D trails. All of the trails were just unbelievable and the 5D trails were a lot of off-camber climbs in conditions (wet/muddy/slick) that weren't that ideal for them. Over the 2 days, Rotorhead and I probably rode 90% of all the trails to exclude most the 1D and 2D trails. After about 2 hours of riding yesterday, I decided that I didn't have enough before lunch and wanted to test myself on lucky #13 (5D/Superman trail). Rotorhead said have at it and I'll meet you at the cabin for lunch. All I can say is that don't ever try the 5D trails, especially #13 by yourself. 1.5 hours later I finally drag myself off the trail completely spent/zapped of energy from 2 hill climbs that resembled something out of Erzberg, that literally took me 30-40 mins each to climb on multiple attempts taking breaks on portions part of the way up while holding the front brake, so my bike doesn't slide backwards down the hill, that I tell myself that I'm done for the day. This trail has nothing on anything in CO (mental fear) and was literally the most physically demanding trail that I have EVER ridden in my life. I've never felt so defeated but completed in the end, which was a feat in itself. All in all we had an awesome time, and the trails at Highland Park are probably the best in the SE portion of the U.S.! To have that many trails, that well maintained, and organized, that it doesn't compare to anything else!

I'll post some pics up soon.
Great ride report Ian. I am definitely going to plan a trip up there before it gets hot!!
__________________
2012 Husaberg TE300: Like a KTM--only bettah 2007 Suzuki DR650: ...SuMo or dirt?--definitely DIRT
2010 Ducati Hypermotard:
Hooligan machine 1974 Kawasaki H2 750: Denco pipes, ported
Anybody can go fast in a straight line...
skid=mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #22662
Vico1
The Maestro
 
Vico1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Ft Walton Beach FL
Oddometer: 5,974
[QUOTE=MItrnsplnt;20539910 All I can say is that don't ever try the 5D trails, especially #13 by yourself. 1.5 hours later I finally drag myself off the trail completely spent/zapped of energy from 2 hill climbs that resembled something out of Erzberg, that literally took me 30-40 mins each to climb on multiple attempts taking breaks on portions part of the way up while holding the front brake, so my bike doesn't slide backwards down the hill, that I tell myself that I'm done for the day.[/QUOTE]

Remember I said "DONT DO the bad stuff FIRST ... glad you guys had a good time. That place can be nice... but it can also be very naughty....

Sorry I missed the BIG RIDE Sunday !

I have about decided that I have two bikes that are very good at what they are designed for...I just need to decide what I want to ride and ride the bike that works.
__________________
KTM 500 EXC Yellow Vee Black DR650
A few others in the past

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #22663
Rob Dirt
More or less in line
 
Rob Dirt's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Mobile
Oddometer: 2,562
I guess that ride was for FL people only. I didn't know anything about it. Probably for a reason. I would have stomped a mud hole in that truck drivers ass &/or got beat-up. You don't treat people like that unless you want a beat-down. What a piece of shit.
__________________
Heart of Dixie
Rob Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #22664
Woods Rider
X-Crazed Racing Fool
 
Woods Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Navarre, FL
Oddometer: 1,909
Ride Report from Gees Bend Ferry Run

Started out a little later that I planned today since my riding partner hurt his back and couldn't come. After about 5 miles I started regretting wearing my Joe Rocket jacket without the liner.....I was freezing!

Didn't take a break till Burnt Corn two hours non-stop!

Being that I left an hour later I didn't really think I'd make it for the 11:15 ferry and just figured I'd grab a hot cup of coffee in Camden before turning south on the Alabama Dragon. Crazy thing is when I arrived in Camden, it was only 11:05, so I had a full ten minutes to get to the ferry!

After the deckhand took this photo, I remembered that I had my Frogtoggs in the trunk so I put on the rain jacket over my JR to block some of the cold air...


Saw a HUGE buck about to running front of me as I was heading north of the ferry on 29!

Stopped for lunch in Pine Hill at Manees before heading down SR. 1 through Lower Peachtree. Turned onto CR35 and proceeded to fly south to 84.

Stopped for coffee at the Huddle House in Monroeville but couldn't take the second hand smoke! Can't believe they still do that in restaurants.....



Stopped for a moment by Col Travis' house in Perdue Hill before checking out the Alabama River bridge from below...




Stopped in Repton and I'm sad to say that it is truly a ghost town now that even the little general store is closed! The old train cars gone too...




All in all, a great day of riding.
338 miles in 8 hours!
At least I didn't have to watch that parody in Washington play out on TV!
__________________
2009 530 EXC - Dualsport Rocket Ship
2004 DL1000 VStrom - For the road

Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out the window of a car!

Woods Rider screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 05:06 PM
Woods Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #22665
rotorhead511
Live and let live.
 
rotorhead511's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Lower Bank, NJ
Oddometer: 475
Highland Park follow up

Had a blast. Ian summed it up pretty well. Very muddy on the first day but was fun adapting to. Day 2 dried out a lot and made for faster more secure riding except for the 5D's. I found my limit to falling and pushing on our second 5D and knew I didn't want to push anymore. Would definetly go back again, muddier or not.

Here are a couple pics.





__________________
'12 450 XC-W
'11 300 XC
'04 GasGas TXT Pro 280
'89 Honda Transalp XL600V
rotorhead511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014