Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #14266
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
I just put the new coil on and it actually runs a little better. Maybe the new 'racing' coil provides a little more spark and the plug is the problem? I should be able to replace the plug by tomorrow and see.
You bought a new coil before you had swapped the plug? Seems arse-about-face to me.

Good luck with the ongoing improvements. I'm sure you'll have it running sweetly soon enough.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #14267
Zane Neher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Can anyone ID this carb? No model number or serial. The build up just mentions it was a dirt carb instead of the stock carb that came on the 91 dr250.

Zane Neher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #14268
slowsuki1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
mikuni tm31 or 33mm, is what it looks like,if it came off a 250, it is 31mm, 350 33mm.
slowsuki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #14269
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,235
Looks like a tm33

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #14270
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
You bought a new coil before you had swapped the plug? Seems arse-about-face to me.

Good luck with the ongoing improvements. I'm sure you'll have it running sweetly soon enough.
Yeah... That's how I do things.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #14271
Chiknmunky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Just a bit of info on some bar risers that worked out for me because I had the stuff laying around.I have two LT80 quads that I bought for parts to fix up another.I was able to use two of the bar mounts and the long bolts from the quads handlebars to raise my DR bars up 3/4 of an inch which is not a lot but in my case,any rise was a huge improvement.
Chiknmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #14272
mwilliamshs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Parts Interchange

Hey guys. Noob here planning a father&son TAT ride and considering a 93 dr250 (s? se? it's the dual sport version) and 99 dr350sex (dual sport version) as the bikes to do it on. I have read at least half this thread but haven't been able to answer my questions. I have no idea what the letter codes for the 250 should be, I think it would be an S or SE and I think the 350 is an SE, never seen the X (maybe it's a joke? SEX) but again, I'm a noob. My question is: what consumables interchange? as in brake pads, oil and air filters, clutch and throttle cables, brake and clutch levers, seats, fuel tanks and petcocks, carb kits, etc. Both bikes need at best some TLC and at worst rebuilds of everything but the engines/transmissions. I plan to grease suspension and wheel bearings, replace appropriate seals, lube or replace cables (and carry spares), replace and carry spare levers, change any vacuum petcocks I find (don't own the bikes yet, planning 2 retrieval trips this weekend), and probably make at least 1 gas tank swap, might buy a Corbin seat from the flea market and want to know if it'll fit both bikes or just one. Thanks a TON for your help! hope i join the DR ranks soon!

mwilliamshs screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 06:00 PM Reason: clarity
mwilliamshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #14273
Chiknmunky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
The X in sex is year code. I don't have any experience with the 250,but it's my understanding that it's the same bike just a different motor basically.
Chiknmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:25 AM   #14274
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,209
Howdy, I am looking for a kickstart lever for my '90 dr350s. More specifically a shortened one. Last summer at a KTM demo ride, as a KTM employee was trying to tell me not to give my DR any gas while I was starting it (like it was sum newfangled fuel injected bike), he made a point that newer bikes have shorter kickstart levers for less torque, faster rotation. Makes sense. My DR isn't too hard to turn over, unless it's in that one spot in the rotation, so I want to look into some possibilities. Anyway, any help would be appreciated, like if newer RMZ levers will fit, or even just the size of the splines. Thanks!
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:18 AM   #14275
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk900 View Post
That's exactly what my O ring looked like when I had similar problems. If its that bad check the other one that holds the float cage in place - if its loose you may be getting a different float height than you think you are setting. Also +1 on the needle seat being worn, however if it was leaking you'd be getting gas out the overflow tube regularly and you didn't mention that as a problem.
He's got the pumper carb, so no float cage like on the CV carb. I'm working to source the smaller O-ring for the other side of the float cage on the CV carb as an addition to my O-ring kit, but I don't have one yet.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:26 AM   #14276
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliamshs View Post
Hey guys. Noob here planning a father&son TAT ride and considering a 93 dr250 (s? se? it's the dual sport version) and 99 dr350sex (dual sport version) as the bikes to do it on. I have read at least half this thread but haven't been able to answer my questions. I have no idea what the letter codes for the 250 should be, I think it would be an S or SE and I think the 350 is an SE, never seen the X (maybe it's a joke? SEX) but again, I'm a noob. My question is: what consumables interchange? as in brake pads, oil and air filters, clutch and throttle cables, brake and clutch levers, seats, fuel tanks and petcocks, carb kits, etc. Both bikes need at best some TLC and at worst rebuilds of everything but the engines/transmissions. I plan to grease suspension and wheel bearings, replace appropriate seals, lube or replace cables (and carry spares), replace and carry spare levers, change any vacuum petcocks I find (don't own the bikes yet, planning 2 retrieval trips this weekend), and probably make at least 1 gas tank swap, might buy a Corbin seat from the flea market and want to know if it'll fit both bikes or just one. Thanks a TON for your help! hope i join the DR ranks soon!
Sounds like a great plan to me and the DR is more than adequate for the TAT (at least the section I've been on through New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah). I'd pull both swing arms off for a thorough cleaning/inspection/lubrication. If they've been well cared for (greased regularly), you'll probably only need to replace the lower shock bushing/bolt that is not greased. As for wheel bearings, I'd replace them all. Replacement kits from All Balls Racing are of good quality and include all of the bearings and seals (pretty inexpensive, too). High capacity gas tanks (4 gallons) would be a great addition for the TAT.

I'm looking forward to trips like that with my children when they get old enough :>

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:56 AM   #14277
jmderyke
Miner

Oddometer: 41
anyone the differences between the brake lines on the 90-94 dr350 and the dr350s bikes? They have different oem part numbers, my front line is shot and was looking at aftermarket lines. I imagine maybe the length is a little different with the same banjo connections?
jmderyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #14278
ADV BUM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
case saver

Does anyone know where I could find some? Would like to see price for store bought vs me making them.

THanks
ADV BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #14279
mwilliamshs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Thanks Chiknmunky and Greg Bender

Appreciate the input!

My largest areas of concern at the moment are charging systems. I know the bikes OEM part numbers differ but I wonder if one might fit the other in an emergency or as an upgrade?

I've spent several hours on parts sites comparing part numbers and here is a short list of what I've found so far:

FITS BOTH
oil filter: EMGO: 301701
Turn signal lens, amber: k&s 21534
clutch spring set: ebc: 382014
front sprockets interchange
clutch kit:ebc:384071

exhaust (from headpipe back anyway...)same
skid plate same
foot pegs same
push/pull throttle cables: motion pro: 040144 fits both
shifters interchange
rear disc guard fits both moose shark fin
air filters interchange
front brake pins interchange
front tires interchange
rear tires interchange
fork seals interchange
frame covers interchange
front fenders interchange
rear fenders interchange
rear axles interchange
both sides chain adjuster interchange
front caps interchange
front protector tubes interchange
front spoke sets interchange
front rims interchange
front innertubes interchange

Doesn't Fit Both
speedo drive differ
starters differ
front brake rotors different
rear hub different
front master cylinders differ
rear wheel bearings differ
clutch cables differ
front wheel bearings differ
shock bearings differ
rear rotors differ
front hub differ
front axles differ

Definitely more work to do but this list is more complete than I'd expected it would be by now. Seems most engine parts differ which was surprising. I'd been told they were the same except for the top-end. Also the clutch cables being different was a shocker and I think it might be as simple as one being about an inch-and-a-half longer than the other. If that proves to be true I'll just pack the longer one as the spare for the trip probably. Are the TW cables that much better? Seem to be about double $ most places. One of the bikes has a larger Acerbis tank installed but I'll most likely install the yamaha raptor petcocks in both bikes. Vacuum petcocks have never made sense to me and I've only known of a couple failures personally but I have no intention of fighting that battle in the middle of nowhere.
mwilliamshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #14280
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
DR350 vs DR250

Guess you have concidered using two 350s, if the boy can handle it. Might need lowering. Don't think there's a lot of difference in size and weight. Power is a little different. 250 makes power at higher rpms, 350 probably has more grunt.
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote