ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #61
modette OP
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,329
Well update, I went out today as its warm and hit the $10 Track in Fountain.

Here are my tracks on Google:
http://goo.gl/maps/61TOZ

Video to come...but yeah it handles like a dream and the whoops not that bad a lot better then the XR650R...LOL

I only did 13 miles, and wanted to do more but the crowds started to get big and I decided I don't want to get hurt with a bunch of yahoo's there hot dogging it. Not a bad little place to get to know ones new bike, I also had a pretty impress log jump...LOL I got a little more air then I was planning .

Now I got to check the video and see what I got.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #62
Greco
Momma's boys

Oddometer: 987
I saw you out in the woods. I tried to catch up, but I took a left and you took a right. By the time I got back to the pits, you had left. Your bike looks awesome!
Old 01-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #63
modette OP
RMAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco View Post
I saw you out in the woods. I tried to catch up, but I took a left and you took a right. By the time I got back to the pits, you had left. Your bike looks awesome!
That place is hard to know which way and where your going all the twist and turns. An older guy told me I was going the wrong way at one point...hey I'm just following the curves and no signs who would of guessed there was a direction to the madness....LOL

Too bad I took off....would of been nice to meet you.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #64
Greco
Momma's boys

There are arrows out there from the last hare scramble put on by CORCS. Everyone tries to follow that route to keep it somewhat safe. Agreed that its tough to find the trail sometimes. The arrows are hard to find and most have either fallen down or were taken down. The trails criss cross and go in all different directions. Its easy to lose your way and end up head on with another rider, especially on a busy day.

I know that log jump of which you speak. Did you over shoot the corner? Its pretty tight back there.

We have met. My son and I were on the ride with you when we had the infamous helicopter incident on 717. I was on the 250 GasGas and my son on my YZ450F. My buddy Gary broke into the sherriff's vehicle with the deputy's baton and a rock.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #65
modette OP
RMAR

Quote:
There are arrows out there from the last hare scramble put on by CORCS. Everyone tries to follow that route to keep it somewhat safe. Agreed that its tough to find the trail sometimes. The arrows are hard to find and most have either fallen down or were taken down. The trails criss cross and go in all different directions. Its easy to lose your way and end up head on with another rider, especially on a busy day.

I know that log jump of which you speak. Did you over shoot the corner? Its pretty tight back there.

We have met. My son and I were on the ride with you when we had the infamous helicopter incident on 717. I was on the 250 GasGas and my son on my YZ450F. My buddy Gary broke into the sherriff's vehicle with the deputy's baton and a rock.
Now I remember, oh yeah...LOL

So what is the deal behind this $10 Track? It looked to me like someone tried to get something going from the shack that looked to have had stuff in it at one time and what have you.

As for the log, no I saw the log and went for it...I have a special place for logs in my heart. When I got there, there was two other vehicles in the lot so no one to ask directions or what to do. I did see the small signs but only after a bit once you entered the place at least where I was going in on the North side. Yep a confusing place.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #66
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post

So what is the deal behind this $10 Track? It looked to me like someone tried to get something going from the shack that looked to have had stuff in it at one time and what have you.

As for the log, no I saw the log and went for it...I have a special place for logs in my heart. When I got there, there was two other vehicles in the lot so no one to ask directions or what to do. I did see the small signs but only after a bit once you entered the place at least where I was going in on the North side. Yep a confusing place.
Come down to NM, we'll show ya how to break it in right.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #67
Greco
Momma's boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post

That is owned by the guy whose house is on the left as you pull into the property. It is zoned by the city of Fountain as an OHV park. It is used at least once a year by the CORCS series to hold a hare scrambles.

The log jump you hit is not the one I was referring to. There is a log jump back in the sticks that is about 2' high and people have placed smaller sticks and logs up to it on both sides to make it passable by the lesser qualified. You hit one out in the open.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #68
modette OP
RMAR

Quote:
That is owned by the guy whose house is on the left as you pull into the property. It is zoned by the city of Fountain as an OHV park. It is used at least once a year by the CORCS series to hold a hare scrambles.

The log jump you hit is not the one I was referring to. There is a log jump back in the sticks that is about 2' high and people have placed smaller sticks and logs up to it on both sides to make it passable by the lesser qualified. You hit one out in the open.
Oh okay I must not of seen that one. I rode over the log at the lot too that was sitting there...LOL Good times
Old 01-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #69
Greco
Momma's boys

If you decide to head back down here this weekend, let me know. I'll show you as much of the old hare scrambles track as I can remember, or at least enough of it to make a loop of about 5-6 miles and keep the locals from telling you that you are doing it wrong.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #70
Brainless_1
Loose Nut!

Oddometer: 1,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
I have a 2011 EC 300 electric and after changing the rear spring and respringing and valving the fr forks for riding basically nothing but rocky terrain the only complaints I have are getting parts, the kickstand mount has broken off,and the electric start is iffy. It won't start it when cold,after its warm its ok but it kick starts easy. Jetting seems spot on but its a thirsty beast and I have installed the Acerbis fork tank and like it except when it's full I get leakage around the cap on the bikes tank no matter how tight I make the cap.After a half hour or so it stops leaking.

The gas cap leakage can be fixed by using the rubber piece from a Kawasaki KX, the local dealer here also sells Kawasaki and he found a KX part that works you just have to make sure you drill 1 extra breather hole in the bottom of the fuel cap otherwise your tank wont breath and your bike will not run. The starter Bendix has alot of grease in the gear reduction area from the factory which can slow the starter motor when cold also I recomend pulling the 2 bolts that bolt the starter to the cylinder and let the starter motor stand up in the ignition cover bore and center itself it may need shims between the cylinder and starter motor to keep it out of a bind. Every little thing helps and using the "E" start helps loosen it up also which makes it work better. Oh ya put a good battery in it also those starters need good voltage when cold, a well charged battery will really help the starter snap the bendix out .
Brainless_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #71
papa_j
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Your thread needed one of these.

Designed for the way you ride. from Cole Kirkpatrick on Vimeo.

http://vimeo.com/27931410
papa_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #72
modette OP
RMAR

Quote:
If you decide to head back down here this weekend, let me know. I'll show you as much of the old hare scrambles track as I can remember, or at least enough of it to make a loop of about 5-6 miles and keep the locals from telling you that you are doing it wrong.
We are spending the night at a place for our Anniversary (belated) this weekend and having a nice romantic diner out. However I might if weather holds go out Feb 3rd down to the $10 track, might bring a noob along to play in the wide area on my XR650R.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #73
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,649
Modette, If you were planning on getting a Hyde Racing pipe guard don't waste your time/money. I picked one up yesterday and spent probably and hour and a half trying to get it to go on straight with the stock brackets. It fit on the bike fine but was crooked by about 1.5" at the rear.

The mounting location for the rear clamp was about 1" too far forward and the front mount was pretty much impossible to make fit because of the tabs for the stock skid were in the way. The holes in the Hyde Guard were spaced too narrow to utilize these tabs as well but were located just about right height wise.

After about two hours of fucking with it and getting pissed trying to massage the stock brackets or work I got out the power tools and relocated the rear mounting holes and removed some material in hopes it would seat on the bike better. I also enlarged the front mounting holes to use the stock skid mounting tabs on the frame. After another hour of trial and error I was no closer to getting it on the bike in an acceptable fashion.

At this point I considered it a $200 experiment and just cut the skid plate portion off leaving the now mangled front mounting holes and the pipe guard. I then fitted the stock skid plate, which is made out of the same material, but with a much higher quality of construction and fit. I then trimmed what was left of the hyde guard to fit over the stock skid and mounted it using the front mount holes and some oversized washers as well as the straps which go on the pipe. It seems like a solid enough fit and it seems like the rubber damping between the guard and the pipe is what preserves the pipe more than anything else.

I'll order a pallet of pipes and flanges bulk from gas gas before I spend another dime on a Hyde racing product. Maybe this fits the 2011's and KTM's a little better but had they put in 5 minutes of R&D it would have been apparent the mounting brakets needed a redesign to fit the 2012's forward.

I plan on fully removing the front mounting holes from the guard and then just using their technique of pop rivits and washers to make a captured aluminum piece which fits to the stock skid a little better.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #74
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Oddometer: 5,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
Modette, If you were planning on getting a Hyde Racing pipe guard don't waste your time/money. I picked one up yesterday and spent probably and hour and a half trying to get it to go on straight with the stock brackets. It fit on the bike fine but was crooked by about 1.5" at the rear.

The mounting location for the rear clamp was about 1" too far forward and the front mount was pretty much impossible to make fit because of the tabs for the stock skid were in the way. The holes in the Hyde Guard were spaced too narrow to utilize these tabs as well but were located just about right height wise.

After about two hours of fucking with it and getting pissed trying to massage the stock brackets or work I got out the power tools and relocated the rear mounting holes and removed some material in hopes it would seat on the bike better. I also enlarged the front mounting holes to use the stock skid mounting tabs on the frame. After another hour of trial and error I was no closer to getting it on the bike in an acceptable fashion.

At this point I considered it a $200 experiment and just cut the skid plate portion off leaving the now mangled front mounting holes and the pipe guard. I then fitted the stock skid plate, which is made out of the same material, but with a much higher quality of construction and fit. I then trimmed what was left of the hyde guard to fit over the stock skid and mounted it using the front mount holes and some oversized washers as well as the straps which go on the pipe. It seems like a solid enough fit and it seems like the rubber damping between the guard and the pipe is what preserves the pipe more than anything else.

I'll order a pallet of pipes and flanges bulk from gas gas before I spend another dime on a Hyde racing product. Maybe this fits the 2011's and KTM's a little better but had they put in 5 minutes of R&D it would have been apparent the mounting brakets needed a redesign to fit the 2012's forward.

I plan on fully removing the front mounting holes from the guard and then just using their technique of pop rivits and washers to make a captured aluminum piece which fits to the stock skid a little better.

You guys and your new bike problems...fits my older 09 just fine

zip ties Drew.....zip ties. They can fix anything!!
Old 01-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #75
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro-ince View Post
You guys and your new bike problems...fits my older 09 just fine

zip ties Drew.....zip ties. They can fix anything!!
So can a Sawzall

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote