Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 85 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #5716
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squelch View Post
That new SimCity looks good! I doubt it will run on my 5-year old MacPro though. Might be time for a new computer...
If it's a mac pro you have what 2 dual or quad core xeons? That with a decent graphics card should be able to do it.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #5717
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
If it's a mac pro you have what 2 dual or quad core xeons? That with a decent graphics card should be able to do it.
Yep. It could always benefit from more power, but my 4 year old computer (Core 2 quad something or other, and Nvidea GTX 280) meets the requirements for "Recommended" specs. I may upgrade the video card anyway though
Old 01-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #5718
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,285
Dreams (Or too much gaming?)

Has anyone else here played a game so much that it started showing up inside your dreams?

I've been playing Borderlands (for the first time, mind you) and some of it is bleeding through, like running bandits over with a car (but in the dream it's a '65 Lincoln with suicide doors) or sneaking around in places I'm not supposed to be. Last night I was a corp spy busted by a CEO who looked a lot like Steele.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #5719
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Yep. It could always benefit from more power, but my 4 year old computer (Core 2 quad something or other, and Nvidea GTX 280) meets the requirements for "Recommended" specs. I may upgrade the video card anyway though
Gtx650 ti doesn't take too much power and would be a HUGE boost for under 150 bucks.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 01-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #5720
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Gtx650 ti doesn't take too much power and would be a HUGE boost for under 150 bucks.
Thanks for the tip! I think I am out of the stage where I need the most performance I can get from a PC, but I still want the games to look good. Since I haven't messed with my computer in 3 years now, and built it 4 years ago, I am out of the loop on what a good video card is now a days. This card looks like a good upgrade for me in the next month or so.

Kinda sad though... This card is much better than my old gtx285, but half the price I paid back then Oh well, such is the life of computer parts!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #5721
UnderNewOwnership
Thread Slayer

Oddometer: 3,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto View Post
Has anyone else here played a game so much that it started showing up inside your dreams?.
Yup. Happened to me with two different games some while back. One of them was Anachronox, the other was Wizardry 8.

Quote:
Since I haven't messed with my computer in 3 years now, and built it 4 years ago, I am out of the loop on what a good video card is now a days.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...view,3107.html
UnderNewOwnership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #5722
trailNtent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Civilization V dreams. Always planning my next move.
trailNtent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #5723
Squelch
Everyday People

Oddometer: 1,103
I signed up for the Beta, so hopefully I can try it out. I am running Vista on my Bootcamp Partition, so I might upgrade to Windows 8 before I try it. I'm running Win8 on my MacBook Air and it seems much smoother than Vista.
Squelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #5724
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squelch View Post
I signed up for the Beta, so hopefully I can try it out. I am running Vista on my Bootcamp Partition, so I might upgrade to Windows 8 before I try it. I'm running Win8 on my MacBook Air and it seems much smoother than Vista.
You talking about Simcity? It should work on all the latest OSes. That said, i seem to remember that the beta is good for one hour of gameplay only. Pretty sucky if you ask me. I still signed up though, hopefully we can get in to try it out.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #5725
Squelch
Everyday People

Oddometer: 1,103
Yeah, for SimCity. An hour, huh? That's nothing in SimCity terms. My MacPro had issues running SimCity Societies about four years ago, so I'm hoping this new one makes better use of the CPU or something. If not, no biggie. I'll have to get a new computer...
Squelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #5726
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Thanks for the tip! I think I am out of the stage where I need the most performance I can get from a PC, but I still want the games to look good. Since I haven't messed with my computer in 3 years now, and built it 4 years ago, I am out of the loop on what a good video card is now a days. This card looks like a good upgrade for me in the next month or so.

Kinda sad though... This card is much better than my old gtx285, but half the price I paid back then Oh well, such is the life of computer parts!
Yup until the upgrades I did last month my 400 dollar laptop (refurb bought in July) was roughly equal to my 2,500 dollar workstation I got in 2010

Old 01-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #5727
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,594
Quote:
Has anyone else here played a game so much that it started showing up inside your dreams?

I've been playing Borderlands (for the first time, mind you) and some of it is bleeding through, like running bandits over with a car (but in the dream it's a '65 Lincoln with suicide doors) or sneaking around in places I'm not supposed to be. Last night I was a corp spy busted by a CEO who looked a lot like Steele.
Yep. That's pretty much how I judge how good a game is.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #5728
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,727
Quote:

Quake 1 - used to have dreams about running down hallways in multiplayer and knowing I was being chased because I could hear the 'bomp, bomp, bomp' of grenades bouncing down the hall after me.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:00 AM   #5729
mel brooks
Dirt Chick

Oddometer: 1,700
Quote:

When I was into Fallout 3 I dreamed that stuff all the time.

“Everytime I start thinkin’ the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out having a good time on motorcycles and it makes me take another look.”
Steve McQueen, On Any Sunday
mel brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #5730
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,490
Quote:

Welcome to Black Mesa, Mr. Anderson.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: