Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2010, 08:25 AM   #16
skibum_1260 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg

Need one for my Aprilia RXV550, to go with the Sand Paddle tire...
2moto rig looks the best out there. What's the true weight of the kit?
Last time i talked to them they did say they will custom fit them for other bike for a few extra bucks, they did just set them up for gas gas so aprilia cant be to far away, as that would be a very good bike to use with the v-twin power!

On the weight, the 3 fedex boxes came in at 165, i would guess theres about 20-30 pounds of boxes and packing material which gets it down to say 140, then taking off your old shock, wheels, and swingarm, maybe less another 80? So that puts it to 90lbs added weight. Keep in mind though to thats weight right on the ground so its hard to notice a really big difference and i was surprised even in the air it still felt quit balanced.
skibum_1260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #17
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum_1260
Last time i talked to them they did say they will custom fit them for other bike for a few extra bucks, they did just set them up for gas gas so aprilia cant be to far away, as that would be a very good bike to use with the v-twin power!

On the weight, the 3 fedex boxes came in at 165, i would guess theres about 20-30 pounds of boxes and packing material which gets it down to say 140, then taking off your old shock, wheels, and swingarm, maybe less another 80? So that puts it to 90lbs added weight. Keep in mind though to thats weight right on the ground so its hard to notice a really big difference and i was surprised even in the air it still felt quit balanced.

Thanks for the info.

I had seen Aprilias on snowtracks but when I looked in YouTube it was the "Explorer" which seems to look a lot like the 2moto. Any comparison?

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:33 PM   #18
skibum_1260 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ive never ridden them so i cant tell you how it rides but heres the main differences in design: The front ski mount is only mounted to the brake caliper so a hard impact might brake the fork leg or brake mount, 2moto kit uses a mount under the right fork leg as well for added bracing. You cant stud the explorer track which is a big concern around here as icy as it gets! Also it uses your stock swingarm and shock, depending on what position the track is in, ie if its all the way foward you loose alot of the rear suspension travel, and if you move it back all the way it puts a lot of added stress on the stock components and they have been known to break swingarms and blow rear shocks.

Main differnce though, I think would be in handling, the ad boivin kit uses bogie wheels with no slides, so the track will fold in a corner, the 2moto kit uses slides. Think of it this way, imagine a skier or snowboarder carving a edge on a hill, if that ski didnt hold firm and folded to contour to the snow I dont think they would be sticking to the side of the mnt. like they hoped!

Again never rode this kit and I would like to hear from someone who has rode both to compare them.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #19
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Great pictures, looks like loads of fun!

There's a lot that can be done to get more grunt from the CRF if its needed

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #20
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,345
Where in Iowa are you?
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #21
skibum_1260 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

CycleTech
126 N Elm Ave
Ames, IA 50010

www.MyCycleTech.com
Old 01-22-2010, 02:55 PM   #22
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum_1260
Ive never ridden them so i cant tell you how it rides but heres the main differences in design: The front ski mount is only mounted to the brake caliper so a hard impact might brake the fork leg or brake mount, 2moto kit uses a mount under the right fork leg as well for added bracing. You cant stud the explorer track which is a big concern around here as icy as it gets! Also it uses your stock swingarm and shock, depending on what position the track is in, ie if its all the way foward you loose alot of the rear suspension travel, and if you move it back all the way it puts a lot of added stress on the stock components and they have been known to break swingarms and blow rear shocks.

Main differnce though, I think would be in handling, the ad boivin kit uses bogie wheels with no slides, so the track will fold in a corner, the 2moto kit uses slides. Think of it this way, imagine a skier or snowboarder carving a edge on a hill, if that ski didnt hold firm and folded to contour to the snow I dont think they would be sticking to the side of the mnt. like they hoped!

Again never rode this kit and I would like to hear from someone who has rode both to compare them.
Thanks for the info. The 2Moto still looks like the best bet. I'll bet they can work up a fit for the Aprilia. No hurry for me as we didn't get much snow this year.

Interesting to see the adboivin kit being used in sand too, that has to be hell on the components.

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:49 PM   #23
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg
Thanks for the info. The 2Moto still looks like the best bet. I'll bet they can work up a fit for the Aprilia. No hurry for me as we didn't get much snow this year.

Interesting to see the adboivin kit being used in sand too, that has to be hell on the components.
I bet it is.

I saw one snow bike kit in a youtube vid used in a small hill climb competition - it beat all the others.

For any of those examples, whether tracked or wheeled, I would bet they would do a lot better with a Rekluse clutch too.

One thing I noticed was that it seemed the snow bike kits in those examples were much less prone to wheelies. Probably the longer wheelbase combined with the weight down low in the rear.

I don't think I would want to use the tracks in the sand though - besides the wear, you would pretty much be limited to the sand unless you had a base camp where you could switch back to a rear tire. I don't have sand dunes close to me, but I do have snowy mountains in the distance.

Maybe next year - a job comes first.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #24
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

So, Cyborg. Yesterday I was at the snowmobile show talking face to face with Bill King of 2Moto yesterday about this conversion. He said he is right now working on a conversion for the Aprilia.

I had seen a pic (on their website I think) of a kit on an Aprilia.

I was talking to him about the conversion using my Husaberg. His advice was to get a different bike because it was just too hard and expensive to do with the new Husabergs due to the subframe. This would especially be true for me since I just got a subframe tank. Expensive as in thousands of dollars more.

So now I can spend thousands on another bike or thousands on my bike.

I am going to do neither - I will go with the Timbersled.

I appreciate his honesty - especially since I am sure he knew it was probably going to cost him a sale.

I did get a good look at both kits (and a glance at the Explorer). There is nothing like seeing something in person. I had seen the 2Moto kit before (at a dealer in Portland), but being able to compare them was good too (they were 5 minutes apart in the show, but I went back and forth at least 3 times as that was what I had paid the $10 to get into the show for - I don't care about sleds).

The heritage of each kit is obvious in design approach and implementation, even in the terminology they use. The 2Moto kit comes from the bike world and the Timbersled from the sled world. Both are very well built machines.

The Timbersled is noticeably larger and heavier. The larger track is not necessarily a bad thing. From what I have read, and from talking to two 2Moto owners, the Timbersled will do better in deep snow, especially up inclines and at slow speeds.

OTOH, if you want something that is very agile and you are going to be working in snow that has a base that isn't much more than 2 feet down, then the 2Moto kit has the advantage there. I think the 2Moto kit will also handle jumps and bumps and so on because it is lighter and the suspension is between the track and the bike, kind of like the bike is designed.

The Timbersled has a neat suspension, but 15 to 20 pounds heavier and a much longer track, and it looks to handle less like a bike in some regards than the 2Moto does. Also, I am assuming it will take more HP to drive it. I base this on looking at them and watching the vids of both and talking to some 2Moto owners who were also aware of the Timbersled. For my purposes that's okay. Also, I would need to ride both kits to verify that impression - I've ridden neither.

The other things one 2Moto owner talked about was:

a) the approach angle of the front of the track - for deep snow and hills this is important. The 2Moto kit has almost no angle whereas most snowmobiles and the Timbersled kit do. He said this gives that latter much better floatation in deep snow and to climb out of holes and up hills.

b) The 2Moto drives the track from the rear where the TImbersled and snowmobiles drive it from the front. Not sure why this is important.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #25
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,777
B. From working with snowcats, snowmobiles and other random equipment at a ski resort I seriously doubt that front versus rear drive would affect anything. Cats use rear drive, sleds front, both really move through the snow well. I figure its probably just a factor of timbersled being sled guys.

I've never heard of the timbersled until now. I think it looks better to me than the 2moto. I really like that they incorporated the track design from a snowmobile.

+

That would rock. I really would like to get one of these snowbike kits, but for me, if I had the choice, I think I would go with something like a cr500. As light as possible 250+ with a track, and as much power as possible. Some of the 800 class 2 stroke, a 4 stroke turbo sleds are scary fast, but even they bog down sometimes in really deep snow uphill. Although that is probably more to the rider(me) than anything.
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:14 PM   #26
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstzephyr
That would rock. I really would like to get one of these snowbike kits, but for me, if I had the choice, I think I would go with something like a cr500. As light as possible 250+ with a track, and as much power as possible. Some of the 800 class 2 stroke, a 4 stroke turbo sleds are scary fast, but even they bog down sometimes in really deep snow uphill. Although that is probably more to the rider(me) than anything.
Yeah, my 570 weighs about the same as the CR500, but doesn't make quite the HP - although it is no slouch and another 5 to 10 HP is there with some easy mods if I want it.

I do think the snow plus the higher weight of the conversion requires more HP and fuel consumption than riding on wheels - naturally.

We'll see.

Sleds are much heavier and I am going to assume they won't be near as maneuverable as a snowbike.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #27
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,777
Sleds are heavier but don't get fooled into thinking they are not very manuevarable. Maybe less than a snowbike, but with a good rider and some skill a sled can do some pretty rediculous stuff. I rode the biggest of the big sled(utility sleds, 1200 pounds +) and even those could be hussled if need be. Sharp turns, powder and hills took a lot of commitment but it was possible. Remember that the sleds have almost 40 years of developement while the snowbikes are a fairly new idea(maybe 10 years)

That said, if they weren't paying me, I wouldn't have ridden them. The sports sleds were much more enertaining. I'm sure the snow bikes would be too.

Mostly riding the sleds(and working at the ski resort) was a fun time in my life, so I felt like sharing. Throw some pics and impressions up when you build your berg please!
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #28
RiverRatRider13
Motorcycle Chum

Oddometer: 335
So is anyone riding these this winter??? I remember when they came out, I wanted one reallll bad. I live out west now and have a real job so they actually might be obtainable.

I have been thinking of getting rid of my street bike for a street legal single track enduro machine. Mainly looking at CRF450X, and WR450F. These have electric start as well which from watching vids online would be handy for a snowbike. So if any of your guys have one and really want a triumph speed triple let me know!

I got a hold of some one from 2moto and I think I can get a demo ride in first. Been trying to find some one around SLC to let me take one for a spin in a field or something but no luck yet.

The timbersled is very cool! but very expensive. and I think I would have a lot of over hang while transporting in my 99 tacoma. The 2moto seems to be the best all around from my research. I have seen some cheap setups of the boivin but I dont know if its worth it do go cheap for a snowbike.
RiverRatRider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #29
skibum_1260 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Haven't heard to much on the 2moto's in the past 2 years. Timbersled has taking most of the business right now since they do so awesome in powder. I do prefer the 2moto on trails however, but as soon as you get in a couple feet of fresh the track wants to plow under the snow instead of staying on top of it.

They are getting more popular every year. Timbersled sold all 300 units last year by about december and this year they built 500 and I just checked a couple weeks ago they only had 9 left.

Not sure if I can plug other forums here but snowest has a dedicated snobike forum now with tons of great information.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #30
X2Lobster
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Skibum, it might be worth posting your snowbike info on www.snowduro.com too if you are still selling the kit. 2moto looks like a quality kit.
X2Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote