Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #52051
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Speer please.
Ya know I have hunted with a .243 for many years. It has a short chambered barrel so Fed. Prem. 105 gr leave the barrel at 3200. A true 1" group gun. It's a M98 sporter. That gun has been lucky to kill what it has. The bullet usually blows apart on impact and a fragment catches a vital. So I switched to a 30-06. No problem with anything here in Texas. A through hole every time. The .358 is a gun I bought for a dollar from a guy at work who was in trouble. A good shooter but heavey. The gun has a pretty funny history. I pulled the barreled action from the stock and there are what looks like hack marks and chisel marks on the bottom of the barrel and action. Looks like a bedding job gone bad! The .358 Norma is pretty close to the .338 mag. I want to shorten the barrel, add a syn stock, and go after an Elk someday.

Not to brag or anything but last year I hit a small pig that was on the run with a .22mag rifle and dropped him in his tracks! Range was 125 yards. It was an off hand shot with 18" of lead.

Getting ready for Big Bend trip. Before:

After: 55T read sprocket, the usual 15 up front, Michlen desert Racer tires, oil change in forks with 120mm air gap, steer head checked, brake pads flat sanded, brake fluid changed, all grounds and electrical connections cleanned and checked, controlls adjusted and lubed, oil is good, petcock cleanned, carb. drained, all bolts checked.

Only a few miles on the Michlens but a super handling tire so far.
You spend enough time shooting a gun and you can do some pretty amazing shit with it. A one dollar .358... that's quite a deal. The damned things are EXPENSIVE to feed though. You almost have to roll your own

Bike's looking good!
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #52052
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pngaudioguy View Post
So the pipe that connects the header to the muffler is jammed, and after soaking with WD40 for some time it still doesn't want to come apart. Here's a picture showing the joint in question. Without getting this apart, I don't think there's any way to repack the muffler.

While trying to get the bolts out of the other end, 3 of them ended up breaking loose, requiring a hacksaw to remove. I scratched it up just a little, but that won't matter if I put it back together. Any tips on whether it's worth pursuing taking this apart, or if I should cut my losses and call it dead? Here's a pic of the other end - you can see the 3 ripped out threads.
It is probably roached. I would try applying some heat to it though before I give up the ghost. It isn't dead until it's smokin hot and dead
Old 01-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #52053
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
To each his own Will compare 200yd. groupings any day.
lol... we've turned this into a gun board. When we start posting pictures of 100 and 200 yard targets, we'll know that the winter really has gotten to all of us!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #52054
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post

I don't know. Why don't you tell me. Hey, don't shoot the messenger. Everybody calls the mod by that name. I've never seen you complain before so...

From now on I'll call it Brian's mod. Better? That should thoroughly confuse all the "L" owners.
I'm just trying to cope with the crippling guilt that he did more work than me, but I'm the one that has to deal with babes throwing themselves at me when they realize I'm 'that' dave...
Old 01-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #52055
Haywood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
I need a litle help guys. The bike is pinging and I'm not sure what steps to take. I hear it when I roll on the throttle while going 50 or 60 mph, in 5th gear. It is so bad I can hear it over the wind noise. I have also heard it while in fourth, again at 3/4 to full throttle. It does it despite the type of gasoline I use.

Stock motor except for the "usual" mods: Dave's carb mods, Uni filter, snorkel removed, stock header with FMF Q4. Standard plug. (not the hot or cold range)

Other than this the bike runs great. Starts easily, hot or cold. Good throttle response, no flat spots or hiccups anywhere. I have experienced this a few years ago and I think what I did was to go up a size or two on the main jet. I remember that taking care of it for the most part, but now it's back and needs to be fixed. I need to start keeping notes on this stuff. Can't stand the sound of it and I know what it can do to the motor.
Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #52056
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
That brings up another question I thought of the other day.

If they are supposed to be checked after so many miles after replacement, how can they come from the factory and never get checked? Or are they supposed to be checked after a certain break in period when new? I've never seen that mentioned in the owners manual. I may have over looked it. Just curious.

See page 3-4 of the service manual. The steer head bearings are to be inspected at 600 miles then 4000 miles and every 8000 thereafter.

PS: the steer head bearings in a XR650L are special. They have an oversize bore.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7

fritzcoinc screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 10:04 AM
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #52057
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
You spend enough time shooting a gun and you can do some pretty amazing shit with it. A one dollar .358... that's quite a deal. The damned things are EXPENSIVE to feed though. You almost have to roll your own

Bike's looking good!

Well, not exactly a dollar. But it was cheap for a Mag. Norma still makes ammo, and it is EXPENSIVE. But so is all mag. ammo. I have dies and all the reloading stuff, just need time to reload some. And, for your information, I don't roll my own.

But I do hear bubbling sounds.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #52058
danse
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Rusted issues...

Go get a can of PB Blaster to get it loose. Its about the best thing I have ever found, Wally world carries it.
danse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #52059
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post

They are so fast and can be quite accurate - lots of kinetic energy. I recall decapitating a feral feline with one at about 75yds. with a well-placed shot to the neck. Wait, that mita been a .220 swift, but same difference. Analogy to a .30-06 would be like a Lamborghini Countach to a loaded dump truck, each at full speed. I guess if a rhinoceros is changing me and I can choose real quick, I'd opt for the dump truck... Other than that...
I'll keep my .30-06 for out here. Gotta be able to take down a half-ton Roosevelt Elk!
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #52060
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngaudioguy View Post
So the pipe that connects the header to the muffler is jammed, and after soaking with WD40 for some time it still doesn't want to come apart. Here's a picture showing the joint in question. Without getting this apart, I don't think there's any way to repack the muffler.

While trying to get the bolts out of the other end, 3 of them ended up breaking loose, requiring a hacksaw to remove. I scratched it up just a little, but that won't matter if I put it back together. Any tips on whether it's worth pursuing taking this apart, or if I should cut my losses and call it dead? Here's a pic of the other end - you can see the 3 ripped out threads.
It's probably toast. I had an older Supertrapp that didn't even look that bad, and when I went to re-pack it the whole disc end separated from the core. Took a lot of PB Blaster, pulling, twisting, cussing, and inventive ways of holding onto it and applying pressure. I finally got it apart, jb-welded it back together, repacked it, and it was still too freakin' loud.

I'm much happier with my XR600 muffler.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #52061
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
I'm just trying to cope with the crippling guilt that he did more work than me, but I'm the one that has to deal with babes throwing themselves at me when they realize I'm 'that' dave...

Are you really that Dave?

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #52062
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
... But I do hear bubbling sounds.

Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #52063
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post

Are you really that Dave?

Spud
The thing that I like most about this thread is the memory assistance that you all provide me. I am really slow to understand the mechanical and electrical advice handed out, but I never have to worry about fully absorbing everything, because I know that if I just wait 10 pages or so, everything eventually re-appears! It wasn't long for Lesley here to make her encore call.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #52064
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
The thing that I like most about this thread is the memory assistance that you all provide me. I am really slow to understand the mechanical and electrical advice handed out, but I never have to worry about fully absorbing everything, because I know that if I just wait 10 pages or so, everything eventually re-appears! It wasn't long for Lesley here to make her encore call.
Repetition is an important pedagogic tool, PD. We are always happy to help reinforce the information.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #52065
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,098
Secondly, what is wrong with Leslie reappearing? Would you rather see Rosie Odonnel?

Keep the good stuff coming!!!