Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #106
El Pacifico
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
The washers are reusable. I called the local Harley store, and asked where they got their custom hoses from.....40min`s later I was en route.... They made me a custom hose 18 inches long for $40. I tried the rox risers....but did not like the design, so I`m just using the 20mm riser blocks from TT.
With the rox the clutch cable was too short for comfort. I went to a autozone to get a brake bleeder kit with a squeeze gun..... Worked as a charm.

Erling
Hey ebrabaek, was the 18 inch hose for the rox risers? Or was that for the TT risers? What length do you recommend for rox risers? Thanks!
El Pacifico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #107
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,991
There is some commentary over here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...21#post9480021

For reference, I have just the 20mm risers (not the ROX) the stock line worked, but just barely, and I was not satisfied with it at full lock.

I bought this one:
http://f800depot.com/longer-front-br...650-800gs.html From Rob at the F800Depot and it is good with the 20mm risers.

On the F658GS with ABS the stock line is ~16.5" the one from F800Depot is ~17.25" - 17.5"
It is fine for 20mm risers, but for some settings of the ROX/handlebar pull back I think it could easily be too short.
I think ~18" would be better ...

I am not sure if the F800GS has the same cable or not, and ABS vs. non-ABS might be an "additional complicating factor"
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #108
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pacifico View Post
Hey ebrabaek, was the 18 inch hose for the rox risers? Or was that for the TT risers? What length do you recommend for rox risers? Thanks!
You can get by with a 17 inch for the rox kit... I had them make it 18....so I had room to spare...... I don't recall how long the stock is.....but that worked great for me. I bought the 18 inch for the TT 20mm kit.... But shortly after the post above tried out the rox again....and really liked them. As Jr stated.... the stock worked out find except for full lock side to side... I did not care for the line stress I saw. Thus the new hose...... Hope this helps...

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #109
El Pacifico
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
You can get by with a 17 inch for the rox kit... I had them make it 18....so I had room to spare...... I don't recall how long the stock is.....but that worked great for me. I bought the 18 inch for the TT 20mm kit.... But shortly after the post above tried out the rox again....and really liked them. As Jr stated.... the stock worked out find except for full lock side to side... I did not care for the line stress I saw. Thus the new hose...... Hope this helps...

Erling

Thanks Erling and Jr. I measured the stock line and it is about 14.5 inches long. I am looking at part number SP 4901-90000BL in F800 depot, but there is no length spec. I sent them a message asking for length, and also read Jr's review, which is helpful as I did not know the banjo bolts could swivel. Handy. More to follow on that matter.

I like the Rox Risers and plan to use them. I tried the suggestion of taking the stock line off and installing it in the opposite direction, as someone has suggested on this thread, but in my opinion there was not much improvement.

I removed the risers and placed the hose back in the original configuration until I hear from F800 depot and come to a happy place.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #110
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks Erling and Jr. I measured the stock line and it is about 14.5 inches long. I am looking at part number SP 4901-90000BL in F800 depot, but there is no length spec. I sent them a message asking for length, and also read Jr's review, which is helpful as I did not know the banjo bolts could swivel. Handy. More to follow on that matter.

I like the Rox Risers and plan to use them. I tried the suggestion of taking the stock line off and installing it in the opposite direction, as someone has suggested on this thread, but in my opinion there was not much improvement.

I removed the risers and placed the hose back in the original configuration until I hear from F800 depot and come to a happy place.
Let us know how that turns out!

I sent Rob a picture and an e-mail about it when I bought mine (probably a year ago or longer),
perhaps the one he is selling is now longer than before ....
IMHO that the one that I bought from F800Depot would not serve well for all ROX users ... depending on how you adjusted them...
Old 03-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #111
El Pacifico
Adventurer

F800 depot responded

F800 depot responded saying the line for the F800GS (part number SP 4901-90000BL) is 17 inches long. They also have one for the F800 S - ST (don't know the part number) that is 23" inches long.

Is 23 inches too much? I would agree with JR that 17" might be pushing it but 23 is quite a bit. Any issues with having so much extra length?

A custom made 18 inch line might be the best bet.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #112
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
F800 depot responded saying the line for the F800GS (part number SP 4901-90000BL) is 17 inches long. They also have one for the F800 S - ST (don't know the part number) that is 23" inches long.

Is 23 inches too much? I would agree with JR that 17" might be pushing it but 23 is quite a bit. Any issues with having so much extra length?

I paid $40 for mine at a local shop.... First check in your town... go to the yellow pages..... look for hydraulic hoses.... or go to your local Harley dealer...... Wearing a mask...of course........ ask where they send people for hose fabbing..... That's what I did....

Erling
Old 03-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #113
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

+1 ... when it comes to the ROX I do not think 17" would allow you the full range of adjustment without overly stressing the hose.

I could not find a local shop that would make me one, I should probably have tried harder, but thought the F800Depot one would be fine... since I only have the "block" risers and not the ROX I'm ok ...

JRWooden screwed with this post 03-06-2012 at 03:42 PM
Old 03-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #114
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
If you guys go back a ways in this thread, you'll see where simply reversing the brake line solves all your problems. The best part is that it's free (except for the brake fluid).
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #115
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags View Post
If you guys go back a ways in this thread, you'll see where simply reversing the brake line solves all your problems. The best part is that it's free (except for the brake fluid).
That was not enough in my case.... Still not enough at full turn.....

Erling
Old 03-07-2012, 05:50 AM   #116
El Pacifico
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags View Post
That was my first approach. I had your photos in front of me when I was reversing the line. In my opinion, it seemed a little worse than the original installation. I did not try your suggestion # 2. I am glad it worked for you!
Old 08-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #117
Meritlane
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ]I)Money View Post
So, I got home earlyish today, after being Leutentanty for the weekend. It was really nice out, but I can't ride now, for reasons which will become apparent, so I decided to install the rox risers that were waiting on me when I got home:

No instructions, but, come on, the installation is pretty self-evident, isn't it?
First, I had to go (RE) acquire the E10 torx bit I needed
Then, I removed the top clamps from the bars

This was only annoying because the clearance for the bolt head is not quite sufficient for the socket I used.
I also took the opportunity to loosen the big ass torx you see which fastens the left mount to the top tree, because it was not quite straight.
I then mounted the risers, with the bars in them, semi- tight. i chose to mount them so the bars are straight above their previous position, rather than following the angle of the forks

(note the fine adjustment tool...)
before I tightened down either joint, I climbed aboard and made sure that the bars were straight, and in a comfortable-feeling position.
Then, I just finished tightening, and there you go!

As for cable length, the clutch and wires are fine. The brake line will flex enough to go to full lock, but only just, so i may get a longer line...
While I was there, i went ahead and installed the cable i made for my GPS
6 torx screws to take off the fake gas tank cover,

and expose the built-in plug:

...which shows WHY I couldn't just go riding instead...
4-5 , more weeks of this crap. At least I'm left-handed.

How do you tighten the original torx bolts which are now hidden under the Rox. They can be tightened with bars either foremormaft but in the middle I can't get to them.
Meritlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #118
El Pacifico
Adventurer

Done!

I ended up having a local hydraulic hose shop build me a 19-inch custom hose. That is, 19 inches from center of banjo bolt to center of banjo bolt. The new fitting on one end is also a straigh 90 degrees, while the second fitting (at the handlebars) has a straigh 1 or 2 inch neck. I am happy with the 19 inch length as there is plenty of flex. Took it to my local dealership and they said the other lines (clutch, electrical, etc) coming from the handlebars look ok. Like them a lot! Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #119
sbakas
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post

The 800 ST cable doesn't adjust out much. It works.

I had the brake hose made 3" longer. I think 2.5" would work, but 3" is fine w/ a little to spare.
Perhaps this post is too old but johngil do you still remember what are the handguards you used in this bike?
sbakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #120
Mohawk Unit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
bumpy

So yea, saw this question asked a few times on here but didn't see any replies - how are people getting to the bottom clamp external torx bolts? Switching to allen bolts and cutting down an allen key to fit in there is the only thing I can think of. Or that thin external torx spanner wrenches exist. Am I on the crack and not seeing something obvious?

edit: did some more lookin' around, i'll just make it work! move along..

Mohawk Unit screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 06:43 PM
Mohawk Unit is online now   Reply With Quote