Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 02:26 AM   #406
Oldfatbeerman
Big on Corner speed

Oddometer: 3,405
Took the bike out for a ride around the Newcastle Southern suburbs this arvo and apart from needing a wheel balance or 2 the set up seems excellent , I intend to balance the wheels tomorrow morning and go for a couple of hour ride in the arvo to see what else needs doing .

Cheers Alan
Old 09-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #407
Dakar Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfatbeerman View Post

Are you concerned that the fuel line from the LHR outlet is very close to the chain line with the rear suspension fully compressed? I couldn't plumb mine really well around the upper chain roller at all.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #408
Oldfatbeerman
Big on Corner speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar Dan View Post
Are you concerned that the fuel line from the LHR outlet is very close to the chain line with the rear suspension fully compressed? I couldn't plumb mine really well around the upper chain roller at all.
I had a look at the possibility of the chain contacting the fuel hose on full compression so I deliberately went out and smashed a couple of big whoops at speed and bottoming after filling the rear tank (took 10.5 L ) yesterday arvo ..... no issue found .

Inspection of the frame - chain clearence gives about 45 mm + or - 5mm , hose is only 20 mm or so wide . Just keep the chain in good condition and correctly adjusted .
Old 09-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #409
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safariaddict View Post
Gday Bluebull2007 fyi on the fuel lines I used this setup in the 2010 safari with no problems at all.This tank setup has been used by the Yamaha team with no problems since 2008 under race conditions. The Fuel tap is a honda item.
Good to see its been put to good use.
Good to know, thanks
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #410
Karl772
Rally Nut

Oddometer: 26
YZ exhaust on WR

I have an 09 WR250F and i want to upgrrade the exhaust on it. I want to put a Akrapovic exhaust from a 09 YZ250F like the one in the photo below would i have any problems doing so?

Karl772 screwed with this post 11-23-2012 at 10:55 PM
Karl772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #411
Oldfatbeerman
Big on Corner speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl772 View Post
I have an 09 WR250F and i want to upgrrade the exhaust on it. I want to put a Akrapovic exhaust from a 09 YZ250F like the one in the photo below would i have any problems doig so?

Check out some web sellers fitment charts for t he two bikes , if the exhausts they sell fit both the WR & YZ your in luck , if they are different pipes for each I'd say you're out of luck . Try the Yamaha racing site first and compare the Part # s for the GYTR pipes for the two models .
Old 01-16-2013, 11:52 PM   #412
fedswith
fedswith

Oddometer: 45
Temp gague

Hi Guys,

Anyone know what temp your bikes Should be running at and what temp gagues have people installed??

Cheers
fedswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #413
Oldfatbeerman
Big on Corner speed

I don't recall anyone ever having mentioned a temp monitor on a WR , Sorry .

You could probably just fit one of the stick on types on top of the radiator , probably be a bit hard to see on the fly though .
Old 01-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #414
*nick*
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Question

Hi folks,

can anyone give me some pointers on what to look for when inspecting a 2nd hand 2004 Model 450 other than the usual second hand bike checks?

The bike in question is set up as a rec reg dirt bike with all the dirtbike extras - hand guards, rad guards, bashplate etc. the bike has a claimed genuine 8,000 on the odo and owner claims it's been serviced with clean air filter before every ride and Motul 5100 oil & oil filter change after every 3 rides. New tyres, tubes, fluids, bake pads and fork seals just done. Professionally set up suspension by Chad's. Plastics are sad and bike needs all the road gear put back on it to pass rego but that's all included.

I'm looking for a suitable bike to do a motard conversion on for my commuting and have a larger tank, giant loop bag and dirt wheels for trips into the bush. I'm only 65kg and don't want to ride an elephant, it'd get ridden tops twice a week so 1,000km oil changes are no dramas I do that on my XR two-fifty anyway it just doesn't have the legs for longer road sections when I'm out of town plus I want more zip now anyway.

Nick
Old 01-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #415
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by *nick* View Post
Hi folks,

can anyone give me some pointers on what to look for when inspecting a 2nd hand 2004 Model 450 other than the usual second hand bike checks?
check this site for known issues... main things would be woodruff keys were a problem on some 2003 models, and ymaha pinch pennies on their grease so check the head bearings, swingarm bearings and the shock linkage for excessive wear if the original owner didn't regrease them.

handy way to get a motard setup with cush drive hub cheaply here.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:13 AM   #416
fedswith
fedswith

Laugh New toy

Got this bike end of 2012. It's a 2007 wr450f with 2750km on the clock done some riding over xmas had lots of fun, got home and did full service, radiator, oil, spark plug, checked valves etc.. put foam grips on, heat wrapped header pipe and some protection to other parts, I noticed that my clutch cable got fried and when I get a new one of em I'll heat wrap that too.
Love the plush ride large pegs, got bigger tank, bar risers etc on there way from Mr eBay..
Old 01-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #417
Safariaddict
Safari 2010 FINISHED

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedswith View Post
Got this bike end of 2012. It's a 2007 wr450f with 2750km on the clock done some riding over xmas had lots of fun, got home and did full service, radiator, oil, spark plug, checked valves etc.. put foam grips on, heat wrapped header pipe and some protection to other parts, I noticed that my clutch cable got fried and when I get a new one of em I'll heat wrap that too.
Love the plush ride large pegs, got bigger tank, bar risers etc on there way from Mr eBay..
[IMG]http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho
tos-ak-ash3/19126_10200516547899970_1461965887_n.jpg[/IMG]
I always wondered about heat wrapping exhausts and other stuff doesn't it just transfer the heat to somewhere else on the pipe
Safariaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #418
fedswith
fedswith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safariaddict View Post
I always wondered about heat wrapping exhausts and other stuff doesn't it just transfer the heat to somewhere else on the pipe
What I was finding, is that when I was riding with da wife (much slower coz she is learning how to ride on gravel / sand etc) I was getting a lot of heat on my right leg with the slower speeds, as soon as I fly off and ride fast the heat on my leg was less.
So I tries the wrap and I feel it has made a difference at the slower speeds. I believe it works by assisting heat transfer down the pipe and it has less radiating heat from the header..
But I have put two layers on there, first stuff I put on was white and thinner went for a ride burn that it on and then put second thicker layer on, much better..
Also when going through some articles from TrailZone mag on WR250 & WR450’s they also put heat wrap on the radiator hoses and on the adventure 450’s on the lower slung middle (Barret) section of the exhaust pipe, to protect the rear aftermarket fuel tank from the heat of the pipe, also some on the clutch cable. Surprise surprise.. I need new cable from melting on the exhaust.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #419
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,274
06 WR450 Light Adventure and Trail

Picked up a great condition WR450F at a very good price. Got it home, gave it a service and gave it the once over. It's almost stock apart from AIS already removed, all the stock race bits still in plastic bag and came with bike. Everything on bike is original except the tyres and the rear reflector. Not sure what the farmer owner did with it but with less than 1800 k's, this thing hasn't done a hard day in its life, he was a top bloke he did the RWC and paid 6 months rego. Only 2 things needing doing, the filter fell apart in my hands when i cleaned it, luckily the stock DRZ foamy i had in the shed fitted perfectly, and the 2 rear indicators are perished and cracked. I bought it for shorter narlier rides and a bit of fun, and to keep some k's down on the 690.

Plan to fit
Clark 10.6 ltr Tank
Talon cush hub and excel rim with 46 tooth sprocket
I'll keep original rim with 50 tooth, nobby etc to swap for narly rides.
Twin air filter
New set of clear lens indicators
Already bolted on tusk tail bag
Front fender tube and lever tusk bag

If I end up doing to many k's I'll fit an oil cooler but I doubt I will, 1000k oil changes shouldn't come around to often if I use it at the rate I think I will.

Love this thing

Pauls Spot Tracker http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...mgxmQRRUCqrKiY
BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:46 AM   #420
boneman660
Try Hard

Oddometer: 356
Question Cyclope headlights

Hi all, recently acquired a 2004 WR250 (1500km), to compliment the XT660. Have found an Acerbis Cyclope headlight on Gumtree at a good price. Anyone know if that would be viable to fit on the WR? Cheers, Boneman