ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 262 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #27001
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Quick question. I noticed Saturday that the bike is moaning or squeaking a good bit. It seems to be from somewhere below me, so I am guessing the crank Does that just mean I need to clean and lube it really well? I normally hose it off after every ride or two. Probably need to double check to see if there is any grime stuck in there.
I've had that happen twice. Each time I could swear the creaking sound was coming from the crank, when it was actually coming from the rear axle, which needed tightening.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #27002
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer
 
RxZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Tyler, TX
Oddometer: 1,828
Thanks Gummie and Aurelius. It is definitely time for another lube, and I have not checked the rear axle to make sure it was tight, probably important!

While I am asking questions... My brakes sounds like a pack of hyenas whenever I touch them. Light pressure, full OMG I'm gonna DIE!!! pressure, whatever. They s.c.r.e.a.m. It seems like if I clean and sand the disks lightly the noise goes away, for about a mile. Then as soon as some dust gets on there it is right back to howling. I realize my bike is an "entry level' nice bike with lower level components(Trek Marlin) but still, I do not hear any other bikes when I am out riding.

Doesn't really matter though. They still lock up whenever I ask of them, so they have plenty of stopping power. And it lets those behind me know I am slowing
__________________
2002 Yamaha FZ1
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #27003
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
While I am asking questions... My brakes sounds like a pack of hyenas whenever I touch them. Light pressure, full OMG I'm gonna DIE!!! pressure, whatever. They s.c.r.e.a.m. It seems like if I clean and sand the disks lightly the noise goes away, for about a mile. Then as soon as some dust gets on there it is right back to howling. I realize my bike is an "entry level' nice bike with lower level components(Trek Marlin) but still, I do not hear any other bikes when I am out riding.

Doesn't really matter though. They still lock up whenever I ask of them, so they have plenty of stopping power. And it lets those behind me know I am slowing
It's the semi-metallic pad material. My Stumpy does the same thing. Once, they wear out, I'm going to an organic pad.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #27004
zouch
part-time wanderer
 
zouch's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: berkeley, CA USA
Oddometer: 1,655
any mention of the bike and/or riders dimensions?
if we're talking about someone of the GS size ranges with a high Ape Index, it might not be out of the question,...

i wouldn't be surprised if it's just another case of someone too fond of the frame they've got to get one that actually fits trying to kludge it into "sorta' fitting",... but it would be interesting to know more of the back story.

(heck, i've got 160mm stems on early MTBs, but i am a GS-sized guy with a high Ape Index, and MTB Top Tubes were shorter in the early days,...)


cheers!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Caption said 'custon made.'

Uhh yeah. I'd say!

M
__________________
just a guy...

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #27005
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
It's the semi-metallic pad material. My Stumpy does the same thing. Once, they wear out, I'm going to an organic pad.
It can't simply be a matter of organic vs. sintered brake pads. Both my Stumpjumper and Superfly 100 have alternated over time between noisy and quiet brakes. The brake pads on both bikes are factory originals.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #27006
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
It can't simply be a matter of organic vs. sintered brake pads. Both my Stumpjumper and Superfly 100 have alternated over time between noisy and quiet brakes. The brake pads on both bikes are factory originals.
Same here.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #27007
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer
 
RxZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Tyler, TX
Oddometer: 1,828
And the latest in our government looking out for our best interests...

The NETRMA (North East Texas Regional Mobility Association, or something like that) is holding a meeting tomorrow to discuss whether or not to ban bicycles on a brand new toll road in my home town. This is not a toll road like most of you are used to. It is two lanes with a shoulders on each side as wide as a lane. This is a road built for the future, with not much traffic now but built with the ability to expand to multiple lanes going each direction in the future.

Anyway, due to the very large shoulders, low traffic, and gentle grades this is now one of the most popular roads in the area to ride on. Why someone thinks it is a good idea to ban bicycles is beyond me, especially in a region with some of the highest obesity rates in the state. Anyway, if any one reading this can be there, the meeting is at 1:30 PM January 22, 2013 at:

Baymont Inn
410 Hwy 79 South
Henderson, TX 75654

To my knowledge the only roads prohibited from bicycles in Texas are those part of the Federal Interstate System. Everywhere else they have full rights of other vehicles. Due to that I do not know what authority the NETRMA has to do this, but I suspect since the meeting is called they think they can.
__________________
2002 Yamaha FZ1
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #27008
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag
 
Chisenhallw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: I've narrowed it down to 'earth'. Or 'Baltimore'.
Oddometer: 5,112
I can now add NYC to the list of cities I have ridden in.


...and kicked a cab in.
__________________
2001 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Suzuki SV650
MD ABC TOR
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #27009
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"
 
Weirdo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Prince Rupert BC
Oddometer: 4,456
The BB 30 and the BB 30 press fit (PF 30) bottom brackets are more than a little different and now I have both. The PF 30 is pissing me off.

Creak....Creak....Creak.... and I can't get the fucking thing apart.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #27010
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
The BB 30 and the BB 30 press fit (PF 30) bottom brackets are more than a little different and now I have both. The PF 30 is pissing me off.

Creak....Creak....Creak.... and I can't get the fucking thing apart.
I've heard both grease and green loctite to cure that. since I don't have a PF30.

I DO need to pull my BB30 BB apart and re-grease it. I'm starting to get some noise down there.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #27011
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"
 
Weirdo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Prince Rupert BC
Oddometer: 4,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I've heard both grease and green loctite to cure that. since I don't have a PF30.

I DO need to pull my BB30 BB apart and re-grease it. I'm starting to get some noise down there.

M

Yeah, I can pull my BB 30 apart, drunk, in the dark, clean and grease it and have it back together and torqued in about 20 minutes. This PF 30 is a different animal.

I'm not getting it.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #27012
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger
 
fullmonte's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Oddometer: 4,973
Have you guys seen this one finger braking stuff?
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/pr...44.3694.0.html
__________________
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #27013
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus
 
TheNedster's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Perched atop the Great Central Valley
Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Have you guys seen this one finger braking stuff?
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/pr...44.3694.0.html
Interesting, but a thousand bucks for a set of brakes? Saints preserve us...
__________________
"The V-Strom Man sits up straight and only picks his nose when he is 100% sure that no one is looking." - Uncle Larry
TheNedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #27014
ImaPoser
adventure imposter
 
ImaPoser's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Oddometer: 15,585
Anybody using their phone for a cycling computer?
I started thinking about this last year, and never bothered to research it. I'm certain it's already out there. I figure I already carry it, and had thought about using the GPS and map for rides that go out a little further than usual, all I'd need is a mount for it. And if I'm going that far, I'm sure it could do double duty and replace the little pos cadence/speedo counter I have on the bike now. I'm also sure I could find something that would let me use a chest strap heart rate monitor as well. Then I start to get a head ache and forget about it.

So who can recommend a way to tie my smart phone in with a HRM, and a cadence sensor. The rest is already covered.
__________________
ImaPoser

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #27015
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 6,847
I've used both my old first gen Droid and my iPhone4.
Lately I've used Strava.
And have toyed with using MotionX GPS.
Since my bike isn't where I am and even if it was all I'd do is worry it was still in my room when I got back I don't know yet abut the MXGPS thing. It says it can connect to a HRSensor. Doesn't have any cycle specific toys, So, you could just make up your cadence and gigajoule energy output. I guess.
The single suck factor I've experienced with using the phone is it eats the battery quick. That damned Motorola Droid would suck the battery dry in about two hours with the GPS hunting its way around. The iPhone lasts about 7, or did when I could go that long. Now, I'm at a bit over a half hour so no worries. I don't listen to music when I run or ride. I have enough going on remembering not to puke on myself, and that the big flat hard thing is the ground.
Of course with Strava you have the added problem of always chasing some virtual rabbit out there in the ether who is forever bettering your times.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Anybody using their phone for a cycling computer?
I started thinking about this last year, and never bothered to research it. I'm certain it's already out there. I figure I already carry it, and had thought about using the GPS and map for rides that go out a little further than usual, all I'd need is a mount for it. And if I'm going that far, I'm sure it could do double duty and replace the little pos cadence/speedo counter I have on the bike now. I'm also sure I could find something that would let me use a chest strap heart rate monitor as well. Then I start to get a head ache and forget about it.

So who can recommend a way to tie my smart phone in with a HRM, and a cadence sensor. The rest is already covered.
__________________
...Richard
" It's not traction control, it's talent compensation" - Mark
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014