Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #796
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,261
dern, so it's too late for you to sell me those valve covers. At least I have the new owner's phone number.

The guy that buys that bike is going to be amazed at how clean that bike is

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #797
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
dern, so it's too late for you to sell me those valve covers. At least I have the new owner's phone number.

The guy that buys that bike is going to be amazed at how clean that bike is
BG:

No, this is my daily driver R100GS. It was never made pretty. I just did some basic maintenance in the first year (see my thread) and then rode it. It's not even all that clean. But it is solid and can go anywhere. The G/S is the "clean" one.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #798
icebox
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Basic

Quote:
I just did some basic maintenance in the first year
My idea of basic maintenance is change the oil and check the tire pressures, you are in a whole nother league! Thanks for the time to document the basic maintenance. you cost me a bunch of money.
Because of this thread I went and bought a 92 R 100 GS, damn. I hope I can be as thourough as you have been. Tip of the hat to ya
icebox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:38 AM   #799
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Bike has been delivered

The bike has been delivered to the new owner. Got a PM that he likes what he sees. Have a small box of goodies to send along soon with the BMW Blue owner's manual and some other small stuff that I did not feel safe sending with the bike when it shipped.

Tom
Old 02-09-2011, 08:59 AM   #800
russbryant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
You could do a lot of us a huge favor and scan that owners manual into a pdf if you're so inclined.

Russ
russbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #801
tiefflieger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Laugh R100GS has landed in Florida

Yes, I bought Infra's bike and it will live in Florida from now on.
Bike arrived on the 8th and I was able to take it out for a spin yesterday. Blue skies and 72 degrees: I love Florida in the winter.

I do have plans to further improve and modify the bike, but for now, I'm enjoying the great riding weather.

Here's a pic of her tucked in with my mutt:

The two seem to get along well. I haven't told the mutt yet that it will be parts donor to the bumblebee!

Thanks again to Infra for the smooth transaction. I know, I'll enjoy the bike and hope to make some long planned trips with it soon.
tiefflieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #802
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

T:

Glad to see you introduce yourself. The only thing that bike sort of needs right now, IMHO is:

1. Pushrod tube seals on the left side. It does drip a few drops after a ride.
2. Replace the Garden Tractor battery with a nice Odyssey 630 or better. The battery is fine and will do 3+ months w/o riding it and still start fine. But it bothers me that it's not the right one.

I have a box on the counter I will send off on Saturday with the owner's manual and stuff I PM'd you about.

That's it.

Tom
Old 02-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #803
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
Now if the guy with the G/S would do the same...It's always a shame to see these bikes sink off into obscurity.
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #804
motopede
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Man I'm really glad I found this site! I've had my 1989 R100GS since 1991 and it needs new steering head bearings. I decided to do it myself, I never have messed with that kind of thing before. Even though I have a Clymers, info on this site has really helped me out, I'm a lot more confident now. I just need to get the bottom bearing off, order new ones and install. Thanks a lot! Everything was pretty frozen and I said some bad words in the process of loosening things. When I was knocking the stem down(frozen in) I yelled out a really bad one, neighbors were walking baby right in front of my house, I didn't see them haha, they looked like they were in shock.
motopede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #805
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by motopede View Post
Man I'm really glad I found this site! . . . Even though I have a Clymers, info on this site has really helped me out, I'm a lot more confident now.
Hear, Hear!

There are a lot of mostly useless threads on this site, but there are some real gems like this thrown in the mix. I thank Tom for this thread, as I now ride a bumblebee that needs most of the work he documented.

Its funny how a thread can take on a life of its own and become one of the internet's real gems years later if the original poster simply encourages others to contribute their knowledge too. I once started a thread like this when I restored an old Honda CB160. All these years later, it's still on the Old's Cool front page, and people are still getting good use from it, though I haven't actually posted in that thread for years. The coolest part is the way these threads become a sort of gathering place for particular knowledge, where a n00b can get advice pretty much around the clock.

Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #806
ignatz72
call me iggy

Oddometer: 626
Move to Airheads?!?
ignatz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:12 AM   #807
motopede
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
Hear, Hear!

There are a lot of mostly useless threads on this site, but there are some real gems like this thrown in the mix. I thank Tom for this thread, as I now ride a bumblebee that needs most of the work he documented.

Its funny how a thread can take on a life of its own and become one of the internet's real gems years later if the original poster simply encourages others to contribute their knowledge too. I once started a thread like this when I restored an old Honda CB160. All these years later, it's still on the Old's Cool front page, and people are still getting good use from it, though I haven't actually posted in that thread for years. The coolest part is the way these threads become a sort of gathering place for particular knowledge, where a n00b can get advice pretty much around the clock.
Mines a BB too, I've been pretty hard on it, I used to treat it almost like a dirt bike. Yes, this thread is gold, GOLD I tell you! I finished my steering bearing replacement today, woohoo! It runs really good but needs some gaskets replaced. I've enjoyed the bike for around 20 years and now I think it's begging for new cables, rubber, ..a guess a refurbish, maybe when winter comes around. I will have time to really get into it then and this thread will really help out! Thanks!
motopede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #808
wayne
Global MotoTourer

Oddometer: 99
Thanks

Tom,

Just wanted to say a belated "THANKS" for your Pulse Air System Removal postings - just completed the job this weekend.. piece of cake thanks to your foolproof directions - many thanks.

Stamford, CT
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:11 AM   #809
Podzo's PD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Great information

That is about as good as it gets thank you for all that information it reinforced some of the things I have done to my 1995 R100GSPDc and will give me confidence to go farther I rescued this bike that had been sitting in a garage for 14 years. Only had 6,000 miles on it but the original owner didn't even drain the gas. After a month and about a $1,000 it is done enough to enjoy. I can't wait for the weather to break and start enjoying the Colorado mountains with it.

DR650
R100GSPDc
Podzo's PD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:36 AM   #810
boomsurf
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Excellent

I just picked up a 92 R100GS w/PD conversion. 40k miles 1 owner. This thread has inspired me to get after it. Thanks for the great info.
boomsurf is offline   Reply With Quote