Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #17101
Gadget678
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideWithMe View Post
Hi Guys,
So who's done the 434 mod, and wide ratio gearbox, which one, how many Kim's/miles have you done. What does it do and how much do you recommend it.
Numbers is the one to talk to.... but he stroked as well.

Have you ever noticed that when you're out on the bike, nothing else matters?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709292
Gadget678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:25 AM   #17102
mark1150
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1150 View Post
My new to me 2003 DRZS requires a new seat, as the foam has been hacked down to suit a previous owner, who must have been vertically challenged.
The instant answer would be to get it re foamed, however there are so many staples and staple holes I don't see it as being a viable option.
I've been looking on e bay, and don't know if the seats changed between model years, I've seen one or two 2000 DRZ's and later ones, so my question is will an earlier or later saddle fit?

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.
Mark.
I've found the answer by by myself, I've bought a Y2K seat from e bay and it's exactly the same as my 03.
mark1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #17103
bmwpowere36m3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Can you guys give me opinion on a couple of DRZ400S I'm interested in buying (New England area). Both DRZs were fairly stock.

2000 DRZ 8k miles asking $2750
Mods:
  • Yosh Muffler
  • Owner says PO jetted the bike
  • Skid Plate
  • Engine Side Cover Protection
  • Bark Busters

Bike appeared taken care of, though was a little dirty. Bike was cold when I arrived and hadn't been ridden in a couple months. It started up after a few tries. On the ride the bike sputtered and stumbled a lot at low RPMs and 1/4 to 1/2 throttle opening (choke didn't improve it much). At higher rpm it pulled strong and cleared up. Owner said that the bike really needs to warm up, I rode it, he rode and then I rode it again (total of maybe 20 min). It was better on my last ride, but still very noticeable. The Yoshimura muffler only had the spark arrestor... holy hell was it loud and popping on decel was tremendous

2002 DRZ 8k miles asking $3200 (said paid $2700 a couple of years ago for it, minus the muffler and jet kit)
Mods:
  • FMF Q4 Muffler
  • Dyno Jet Stage 1
  • 3x3 airbox mod
  • Skid Plate
  • Bark Busters

Bike appeared taken care of, was also a little dirty, new chain was loose and crusty (NOT rusty) with accumulated grime mixed with lube, missing fork boots. Bike was warm when I arrived as we met in a parking lot. Bike started right up. On the ride the bike ran well and again the exhaust was popping a bit on decel. There was a noticeable chatter felt through the bars when using the front brake, (steering stem bearings/adjustment, rotor deposits/pads).

2000 DRZ 16k miles asking $2200
Haven't seen it in person, listed on here with a TON of mods, appears to be well taken care of.
bmwpowere36m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:38 PM   #17104
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3 View Post
Can you guys give me opinion on a couple of DRZ400S I'm interested in buying (New England area).
I'd pass on the all of them. I'm not an expert, but prices seem borderline outrageous for early model, ratty bikes with so many problems being sold in the dead of winter in New England. For this money, clean, later-model bikes should turn up.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #17105
Jetpack
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Any love for a motard?

Not sure what's worse, the seat or the front tyre on dirt.
Jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:48 AM   #17106
bmwpowere36m3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I'd pass on the all of them. I'm not an expert, but prices seem borderline outrageous for early model, ratty bikes with so many problems being sold in the dead of winter in New England. For this money, clean, later-model bikes should turn up.

- Mark

That's how I felt for what they were asking for the two I saw, but looking around craigslist... people in New England right now are asking a lot (I think) for these bikes. It’s hard to gauge what they are really going for, since they can ask whatever they want. I don't know how reliable NADA or KBB are for these bikes?
bmwpowere36m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #17107
focallength
You're Welcome

Oddometer: 4,734
[/IMG]

Anyone know where these go? Theyre not broken off of anything, i swear thry fell out of the head when i turned it upside down. I cant find their home, theyre not on any schematic either...

focallength screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 01:24 PM
focallength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #17108
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,365
Quote:
I don't know how reliable NADA or KBB are for these bikes?
They tend low, especially for clean/older bikes. But the prices you've been quoted aren't even in the ballpark. Again, I'm no expert, but I would think $3K should net a clean/nice-running/relatively-stock 2005 or later.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #17109
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 938
Quote:
Can you guys give me opinion on a couple of DRZ400S I'm interested in buying (New England area). Both DRZs were fairly stock.

2000 DRZ 8k miles asking $2750
Mods:
  • Yosh Muffler
  • Owner says PO jetted the bike
  • Skid Plate
  • Bark Busters

Bike appeared taken care of, though was a little dirty. Bike was cold when I arrived and hadn't been ridden in a couple months. It started up after a few tries. On the ride the bike sputtered and stumbled a lot at low RPMs and 1/4 to 1/2 throttle opening (choke didn't improve it much). At higher rpm it pulled strong and cleared up. Owner said that the bike really needs to warm up, I rode it, he rode and then I rode it again (total of maybe 20 min). It was better on my last ride, but still very noticeable. The Yoshimura muffler only had the spark arrestor... holy hell was it loud and popping on decel was tremendous
All of those bikes are too expensive but if you can buy this one for $2000 thats not too bad. It needs a carb clean and a baffle insert for the pipe.
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #17110
bonekrusher
big jerk

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by focallength View Post

Anyone know where these go? Theyre not broken off of anything, i swear thry fell out of the head when i turned it upside down. I cant find their home, theyre not on any schematic either...
Those are the pins from the neutral indicator. Kind of by the bottom of the motor on the left hand side (if you're sitting on the bike).

I'm trying to find a micro fiche for you but am not having any luck - I can take a picture of where they need to go when I get home if you need it.

bonekrusher screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 02:41 PM
bonekrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #17111
focallength
You're Welcome

So, they go inside the case? I found them when I took the head off...well before I split the case, or removed the side covers even.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #17112
bonekrusher
big jerk

Quote:
So, they go inside the case? I found them when I took the head off...well before I split the case, or removed the side covers even.
Found an engine pic.

Check here: http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...ps9b7ac008.jpg

Circle indicates the switch that those pins go underneath. :)

They are magnetic - so you would have pulled that switch cover off a while ago and they wouldn't come out. You have to take a magnet to the top of them to get them to come out normally - otherwise they just sit there till you move the engine upside down or something and they fall out. Pesky little buggers.

bonekrusher screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 02:54 PM
Old 01-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #17113
focallength
You're Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonekrusher View Post
Found an engine pic.

Check here: http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...ps9b7ac008.jpg

Circle indicates the switch that those pins go underneath. :)
I know what your talking about, I reintalled that already,, I didnt see anything indicating those pins go there, ill check the schematic thanks...

Any idea what schematic theyre under?

focallength screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 03:01 PM
Old 01-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #17114
bonekrusher
big jerk

Quote:
I know what your talking about, I reintalled that already,, I didnt see anything indicating those pins go there, ill check the schematic thanks...
There isn't anything indicating where they go to my knowledge - just two holes for them to slip into.

The clymer manual mentions them in the "engine removal" section if I remember correctly. I can't find them in a micro fiche to save my life though. Good luck

I'll throw up a pic of how they fit when I get home if you need. Just let me know.

bonekrusher screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 03:08 PM
Old 01-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #17115
focallength
You're Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonekrusher View Post
There isn't anything indicating where they go to my knowledge - just two holes for them to slip into.

The clymer manual mentions them in the "engine removal" section if I remember correctly. I can't find them in a micro fiche to save my life though. Good luck
Ok, ill pull it off when I get home, any idea which direction they go, im guessing round nose side in, towards the engine.