Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #12811
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Roy View Post
been doing a bit of reading on the net about these but getting conflicting opinions ( who would have thought it ), so was wondering if anyone here has any opinions ( & hopefully experience ) of Ricor Intiminators & also how they compare to Gold valves etc

i know they work differently and are different to install, but my main point of interest is really how good they work

cheers
Although I don't have them installed, I've only heard good things about them. I too will be on the market to purchase a set, so any feedback would be great.

Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #12812
Farmer Roy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
I too will be on the market to purchase a set.

dont suppose u wanna install a set & let me know what they like ?
Farmer Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #12813
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
Although I don't have them installed, I've only heard good things about them. I too will be on the market to purchase a set, so any feedback would be great.

I have no experience with the Intimators, but have ridden a few DRs with Gold Valves, and without. The consensus elsewhere seems to be that the Intimators are better suited to on road, and the gold valves off road. The gold valves are a definite improvement for sure, and beefier springs are needed too. It does seem that the Intimators will be better with stock springs based on what I've read. This question routinely comes up on the big DR thread.

Anything will be better than stock though.

Better again is to ditch the whole flexi antiquated forks and put some modern ones on.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:36 AM   #12814
grrant1058
Motorcyclist 24/7

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
I have no experience with the Intimators, but have ridden a few DRs with Gold Valves, and without. The consensus elsewhere seems to be that the Intimators are better suited to on road, and the gold valves off road. The gold valves are a definite improvement for sure, and beefier springs are needed too. It does seem that the Intimators will be better with stock springs based on what I've read. This question routinely comes up on the big DR thread.

Anything will be better than stock though.

Better again is to ditch the whole flexi antiquated forks and put some modern ones on.
Have Gold Valves in my old DR and it really makes a substantial difference. Didn't need to changes the fork springs for my 80 kg's but later fitted a Safari tank and with all that extra weight over the front needed heavier springs then.

Bergdonk's suggestion worked even better on my new DR.

grrant1058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:02 AM   #12815
0405canvet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
show off!

Any excuse to make us great unwashed drool over your bike! My $43 air forks just don't quite look as nice as your Ohlins! Getting ready for Oz day ride?
0405canvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:19 AM   #12816
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,812
I have used emulators and intiminators on my 650 and I think intiminators win by heaps, allso are running slightly heavier springs a fork brace is well worth the money too, I use intiminators in a few 800,s with only 41mm forks dia heavier springs from wilbers and fork braces and find these forks better than any other bike I have riden.
You no front end dive , but the forks still soke up the bumps.
you do here them clacking some times which I think is the shims opening and closing and they are adjustable too.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #12817
Farmer Roy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto View Post
I have used emulators and intiminators on my 650 and I think intiminators win by heaps, allso are running slightly heavier springs a fork brace is well worth the money too, I use intiminators in a few 800,s with only 41mm forks dia heavier springs from wilbers and fork braces and find these forks better than any other bike I have riden.
you do here them clacking some times which I think is the shims opening and closing and they are adjustable too.

thanks, thats the sort of comparison i was after
Farmer Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:00 AM   #12818
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Roy View Post
dont suppose u wanna install a set & let me know what they like ?
Haha............nice try............that's what I was hoping from you. But as it is, I would buy them tomorrow but need more $$$.

I believe Jeff from procycle said they are acceptable even with the standard springs. Then if you find you need slightly heavier springs, so be it; its a progressive process.

As was previously mentioned, anything is better than standard.
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #12819
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto View Post
The noise is the sealing ring binding up in the fork leg until the stiction is overcome by spring pressure...
If you pull them out at some point, trim a mm or 2 off the end of the rings.

If you're used to dirt bikes then Emulators will feel more natural and if you're coming from road bikes the Intiminators will get the nod.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #12820
nazza
Trouble

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitryder View Post
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone knew where to get some spare axle holder bolts (front suspension)

Got a little too keen when tightening and snapped one clean off and noticed the other one had some cracking so thought I would also replace it.

Basically screwed them out (they are not welded on in case some thought they were)

Now just after some spare bolts but god they are hard to find. If all else fails I will just go to the hardware store and cut some screws down to size but prefer the genuine part.

Oh and yes, I have since invested in a torque wrench

Anyway, pic below of the bolts I'm after.

Looks like I am going to need some of these too Anyone know where I should get some?
Old 01-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #12821
french horn
Just Add venture

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazza View Post
Looks like I am going to need some of these too Anyone know where I should get some?

Not that I've had to buy some, but I reckon they resemble ... universal exhaust flange studs .... I'd try extracting one from your fork then take it to your fav. auto parts shop for a comparrison .... maybe even a bike exhaust flange stud .... let us know.

cheers
french horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #12822
nazza
Trouble

Matty took one down to the trade store and they measured it up and a new set. :) couple of days

Which means I probably have 2 spares if anyone gets stuck
Old 01-22-2013, 11:36 PM   #12823
nazza
Trouble

Hey guys we have the new bolts for the axle holder but there's an arrow on the bloody thing and we don't if its supposed to point up or down. Any ideas?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #12824
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,736
Up. Seems I read when you have an arrow, that side gets tightened first (contact between the two pieces), then the other side gets the final tightening. The handlebar clamps don't have an arrow, so you tighten them to share the gap. YMMV

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:10 AM   #12825
nazza
Trouble

Cheers mate

Trying to find fork oil seals now.