User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #2401
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Rear disc protector

Does anyone know of someone producing one of these for the CRF yet? Just poking around on the minimalist threat, and a guy doing prep for a major upcoming trip on a "Brand Y" bike has one of these on his. I sorta told myself I wouldn't be spending major amounts of $ on this bike, but so far that plan hasn't panned out so well.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #2402
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by itrack View Post
Ok, so I'm going forward with this project. I ordered every seal and bushing I could find for these forks. I am bolting on 43mm KYB forks off a 1995 CR250. I ordered Racetech Type 1 Gold Valves FMGV 2530, AB Fork Bushing Kit 38-6014, MSR Forks Seals and Wipers 56-137, Racetech Springs FRSP 395150, 215.VM2.K5 fluid 54oz, Motion Pro Damper Rod Tool, and a Motion Pro Fork Seal Driver.

I know there are some guys that know way more than me about rebuilding forks, so anything I missed? Any instructional youtube vids or write ups on the KYB 43mm? This will be my first fork rebuild.
I found another tutorial for servicing the KYB cartridge forks.

http://www.easterndirt.com/?p=6

The instructions in this tutorial are very good, and the information is supplemented with photographs.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #2403
Irish769
Wanna-be

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Irish769, as far as I know and from probably installing some 20 sets of handguards on probably 20 motorcycles they are all pretty much the same. Since the throttle handle extends beyond the end of the bar you will have to cut the end off so you can get the handguard end clamps into the end of the bar, this can be done 2 or 3 ways, I used my Dremel to cut my end off, you could also use a hacksaw, the third way would be some sort of knife, but since the plastic on the throttle handle is tuff stuff, I'd pass on the knife. You asked about a drill, I guess you could drill out the end, but you are still going to need a way to shorten the plastic throttle assembly and a drill won't do that. You need the end off first so you can see how much extra needs to be cut off so the throttle handle will clear the handlegards you will be installing. You are going to cut the plastic throttle handle back about 3/16" from the end of the bar, this is so the bar end clamp will not interfere with the operation of the throttle when you install the handguards. One note here, since I was installing new grips I took the old grips off first which can make things a little clearer to what you are doing. One thing about using a Dremel is it will cut the grip and the plastic very smooth and you can take off a little at a time and cut as needed for a nice look and fit. Due note that you are going to have to cutoff both handle grips for the handguard to fit into the bars, but only the throttle side will require the extra trimming because of the truing of the throttle. This is like any other job, with the right tools it's easy to do the correct way.

John
Thanks John.....That sums it all up nicely!
2013 CRF 250L
2014 BMW GSW
Irish769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #2404
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post

The instructions in this tutorial are very good, and the information is supplemented with photographs.

Spud
Been trying to think of a name for my bike, looks like Lindy is close to the top right now.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #2405
Moat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:

Good find. My review -

Somewhat interesting... interesting... interesting... very interesting... extremely interesting... and............ no longer interesting.

Moat screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 12:31 PM
Moat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #2406
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:

Spud
She better watch out or somethings gonna shoot outta that and hit her in the eye. Hahahaha
Old 01-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #2407
Krono
Speed Junkie

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
DIY Valve adjustment for the LRP.

I'm not a professional mechanic, ...

Finn
Thanks to the Vaves Adjustment Lost's tutorial (p 104), I dared to bring my bike in the house too
( ... basement to say the truth) and I'm into the valve settings, as after 6500km mine were a little rumorous, tik tik tik...

Foud them slightly out of spec, with 0.20mm intake and 0.35mm exhaust and same value on both side
(instead 0.16/0.27)

Removed the spark plug too, because i was unable to unscrew the crankshaft hole cap

I will then try to find the new shims tomorrow at Honda dealer to complete the job

L
Old 01-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #2408
Kevinsterner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
New handle bars or just risers?

I have decided that I need my bars higher. I can't stand on the pegs comfortably because I have to scrunch to reach the bars. This also limits how far back I can move my weight while standing,. Should I get new bars or just some risers. I would like to keep the price down to around $100 or less.

Any advice??
1981 Honda 750 F,1972 Yamaha 250, 1971 Hodaka
you can't fix stupid.
Kevinsterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #2409
miles44
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Took a short trip to the Angeles today

Old 01-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #2410
x32792
Cracker American

Oddometer: 704
CRF250L with FAT TIRES?

Has anyone put fat tires (like a Yamaha TW200) on the LRP?
x32792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #2411
Harcomo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinsterner View Post
I have decided that I need my bars higher. I can't stand on the pegs comfortably because I have to scrunch to reach the bars. This also limits how far back I can move my weight while standing,. Should I get new bars or just some risers. I would like to keep the price down to around $100 or less.

Any advice??
I seem to have the same problem as you are having with the bars being too low. For some reason, I'm just not sold on the bar riser thing. To me, they seem like an add on that doesn't belong....I don't know.....maybe I'm all wrong! I guess if you needed to really get the bars way up there, then risers might be needed to attain that height. And if you are going to 1 1/8" bars, you have no choice but to go to some kind of riser/adaptors like the ProTaper Universal adaptors. But if you want to stick to a 7/8" standard bar, the Renthal RC High bars might fit the bill. They will give you more rise and less sweep than the stock bars and you can bolt them to the stock clamps. There's a ton of options out there....almost mind boggling....I guess the choice is up to you and what you like the looks and feel of personally because both will work.
Harcomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #2412
CRFSoCal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by miles44 View Post
Took a short trip to the Angeles today

Where is that at?
CRFSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #2413
billfires
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I see that Cycleracks has a back rack for our bikes but the photo shows it mounted on a CRF230L. Has anyone ordered the rack for the CRF250L and do you have a photo of it mounted? Thanks, Bill C
billfires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #2414
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by x32792 View Post
Has anyone put fat tires (like a Yamaha TW200) on the LRP?
They dont make one as far as i know. The teedub runs I believe a 13 inch wheel. Or 14. Either way our back doesnt come in a 180 wide tire....or does it?

I would love to lace some teedub rims to my hubs and run those fat tires!
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #2415
Larry Ferguson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
(instead 0.16/0.27)

Removed the spark plug too, because i was unable to unscrew the crankshaft hole cap

L
I have found that if you use a flat washer for a 1/2" bolt, (at least that's the size that works on my XT 550, YMMV) or any size that fits snugly in the slot, you can clamp it in a vise grip and easily turn it out. Plus, it won't "cam out", raising burrs on the screw. Another tool they could cram into the toolkit for this bike. Note in my sig, I have the original version of this bike. 40 years on and only 3 more HP and 6 fewer pounds. I would still like to have one though.

'01 Connie
'83 XT 550
'78 XL 350
'73 XL 250
'72 XL 250 (Needs "assembly")
Larry Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote