Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #52066
WMD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post

You know I'm funnin'. Did you pick up the KLX for the better half?
Yep, got the one in Ewin TN. A mint '09 for 3K, very sweet deal. Now its my turn.
WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #52067
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Secondly, what is wrong with Leslie reappearing? Would you rather see Rosie Odonnel?

Keep the good stuff coming!!!
Incidentally, PurpleDrake is confusing Lesley with Laurie. Here's Laurie teaching us how to change a tire correctly.

Here's Lesley teaching us how to apply new graphics to our motorcycles.

Neither of these ladies should be confused with Lindy, who demonstrates how to service USD cartridge forks.

As I said earlier, repetition is an important, pedagogic tool.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #52068
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngaudioguy View Post
So the pipe that connects the header to the muffler is jammed, and after soaking with WD40 for some time it still doesn't want to come apart.
If you REALLY want to get something apart try a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid. It is the best thing ever. I'll never buy another can of otc penetrant.

On the outside with my back turned.
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #52069
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Yep, got the one in Ewin TN. A mint '09 for 3K, very sweet deal. Now its my turn.

On the outside with my back turned.
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #52070
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,631
Quote:
If you REALLY want to get something apart try a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid. It is the best thing ever. I'll never buy another can of otc penetrant.
not the first time i've heard this. That makes it true on the internet.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #52071
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
The .358 Norma is pretty close to the .338 mag. I want to shorten the barrel, add a syn stock, and go after an Elk someday.

IMO, the 358 Norma is every bit as powerful as a 338 Win, just a little fatter bullet. Should roll an elk or anything else for that matter. Practice as much as your shoulder and wallet will allow.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #52072
GlockPointer
NachosRiflesAlchohol

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by danse View Post
Go get a can of PB Blaster to get it loose. Its about the best thing I have ever found, Wally world carries it.

Welcome to the board Danse, I would like to add not to get PB Blaster on anything but your work as that stuff reeks to high hell. Good stuff tho.
Oh and we need pics of yer bike Danse, gotta make sure you on the level.
GlockPointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #52073
pngaudioguy
Just...one...more...

Oddometer: 386
Lindy can service my forks anytime she wants.

As to the PB Blaster - not going to happen here in Belgium. No Wally World in sight, and no chance of finding it in the local Bricolage. I can get acetone and ATF, though. Based on the various comments from others who've had experience with this muffler, sounds like it might be time to visit the local parc a conteneur to drop it off instead. I'm not totally dissatisfied with the stock muffler with washer mod, I just remember being in love with the sound of the original White Bros E.A.R. muffler, and jumped at the chance to get one.

I'll have another Westmalle Tripel while I contemplate, though.
pngaudioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #52074
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,568
Quote:
For gun use, google "Ed's Red".
Old 01-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #52075
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,271
Reading this page I've finally figured out what I've been doing wrong when i work on the bike. I need to be wearing daisy dukes! Problem Solved!

Okay, now that you have all gouged your eyes, back to our regularly scheduled program:

Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #52076
Haywood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Thanks for that brown falcon, NOT.
But yeah, speaking of back to our regularly scheduled programming, this:

I need a litle help guys. The bike is pinging and I'm not sure what steps to take. I hear it when I roll on the throttle while going 50 or 60 mph, in 5th gear. It is so bad I can hear it over the wind noise. I have also heard it while in fourth, again at 3/4 to full throttle. It does it despite the type of gasoline I use.

Stock motor except for the "usual" mods: Dave's carb mods, Uni filter, snorkel removed, stock header with FMF Q4. Standard plug. (not the hot or cold range)

Other than this the bike runs great. Starts easily, hot or cold. Good throttle response, no flat spots or hiccups anywhere. I have experienced this a few years ago and I think what I did was to go up a size or two on the main jet. I remember that taking care of it for the most part, but now it's back and needs to be fixed. I need to start keeping notes on this stuff. Can't stand the sound of it and I know what it can do to the motor.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for guns and pussy. I try to keep as much of those around as possible.
Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #52077
gammel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Helio fellow XRL owners. My name is Chris. aka "Bergie" I live in the SF bay area and new to the forums. Although I've lurked on and off for a few years. Hopefully I will be able to contribute here and there. Here is a pic of the bike on the WABDR. hopefully pics loaded.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #52078
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
IMO, the 358 Norma is every bit as powerful as a 338 Win, just a little fatter bullet. Should roll an elk or anything else for that matter. Practice as much as your shoulder and wallet will allow.

86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #52079
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
It's probably toast. I had an older Supertrapp that didn't even look that bad, and when I went to re-pack it the whole disc end separated from the core. Took a lot of PB Blaster, pulling, twisting, cussing, and inventive ways of holding onto it and applying pressure. I finally got it apart, jb-welded it back together, repacked it, and it was still too freakin' loud.

I'm much happier with my XR600 muffler.
Is that an older Supertrapp? I hate to say it but thats a pretty weak looking build design to begin with......doesn't look easily serviceable or very durable at all. Like Brown said you could prolly fight the thing apart....patch it back together and hope it holds up for a while longer, but your bike deserves better. Just pick up another can.....maybe look for a good used deal, or even try the DG for $160 on e-bay, I've heard good things about them.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #52080
Redclayrider
Long time gone

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Repetition is an important pedagogic tool
Had to look that one up.
Redclayrider is offline   Reply With Quote