Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #22666
Barney
I reckon so

Oddometer: 851
I enjoyed the ride, beautiful day to be out. Unfortunate about Lou's ankle though and glad Melvin didn't get any worse than bent bars and a broken watch band, someone needs to tell him that wearing a watch like that while riding a KLR is a direct violation of code and angers the KLR gods. Five of us continued on east and south, making our way through lots of water on river road, only had one submarine incident or maybe better described as a jet ski launch. Good to meet Eric (livetosail), need to get a ride going with BZ next time he's in town.
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #22667
skid=mark
Likes it Slidewayz

Oddometer: 706
Thumb Highland Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by MItrnsplnt View Post
Seems like you guys have more issues/accidents on your beast/carnage rides than we ever do on our fastburns through Eglin/BW..... That guy that opened his truck door as you guys were passing and made whoever wreck, should have been drug out through the window of his door and beaten, you have to be shitting me for senseless crap like that!

On a good note, Highland Park was E P I C ! ! ! We started off on the 3D and 4D trails and eventually tempted fate on the 5D trails. All of the trails were just unbelievable and the 5D trails were a lot of off-camber climbs in conditions (wet/muddy/slick) that weren't that ideal for them. Over the 2 days, Rotorhead and I probably rode 90% of all the trails to exclude most the 1D and 2D trails. After about 2 hours of riding yesterday, I decided that I didn't have enough before lunch and wanted to test myself on lucky #13 (5D/Superman trail). Rotorhead said have at it and I'll meet you at the cabin for lunch. All I can say is that don't ever try the 5D trails, especially #13 by yourself. 1.5 hours later I finally drag myself off the trail completely spent/zapped of energy from 2 hill climbs that resembled something out of Erzberg, that literally took me 30-40 mins each to climb on multiple attempts taking breaks on portions part of the way up while holding the front brake, so my bike doesn't slide backwards down the hill, that I tell myself that I'm done for the day. This trail has nothing on anything in CO (mental fear) and was literally the most physically demanding trail that I have EVER ridden in my life. I've never felt so defeated but completed in the end, which was a feat in itself. All in all we had an awesome time, and the trails at Highland Park are probably the best in the SE portion of the U.S.! To have that many trails, that well maintained, and organized, that it doesn't compare to anything else!

I'll post some pics up soon.
Great ride report Ian. I am definitely going to plan a trip up there before it gets hot!!
Anybody can go fast in a straight line...
skid=mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #22668
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,553
[QUOTE=MItrnsplnt;20539910 All I can say is that don't ever try the 5D trails, especially #13 by yourself. 1.5 hours later I finally drag myself off the trail completely spent/zapped of energy from 2 hill climbs that resembled something out of Erzberg, that literally took me 30-40 mins each to climb on multiple attempts taking breaks on portions part of the way up while holding the front brake, so my bike doesn't slide backwards down the hill, that I tell myself that I'm done for the day.[/QUOTE]

Remember I said "DONT DO the bad stuff FIRST ... glad you guys had a good time. That place can be nice... but it can also be very naughty....

Sorry I missed the BIG RIDE Sunday !

I have about decided that I have two bikes that are very good at what they are designed for...I just need to decide what I want to ride and ride the bike that works.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #22669
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,529
I guess that ride was for FL people only. I didn't know anything about it. Probably for a reason. I would have stomped a mud hole in that truck drivers ass &/or got beat-up. You don't treat people like that unless you want a beat-down. What a piece of shit.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #22670
Woods Rider
X-Crazed Racing Fool

Oddometer: 1,871
Ride Report from Gees Bend Ferry Run

Started out a little later that I planned today since my riding partner hurt his back and couldn't come. After about 5 miles I started regretting wearing my Joe Rocket jacket without the liner.....I was freezing!

Didn't take a break till Burnt Corn two hours non-stop!

Being that I left an hour later I didn't really think I'd make it for the 11:15 ferry and just figured I'd grab a hot cup of coffee in Camden before turning south on the Alabama Dragon. Crazy thing is when I arrived in Camden, it was only 11:05, so I had a full ten minutes to get to the ferry!

After the deckhand took this photo, I remembered that I had my Frogtoggs in the trunk so I put on the rain jacket over my JR to block some of the cold air...

Saw a HUGE buck about to running front of me as I was heading north of the ferry on 29!

Stopped for lunch in Pine Hill at Manees before heading down SR. 1 through Lower Peachtree. Turned onto CR35 and proceeded to fly south to 84.

Stopped for coffee at the Huddle House in Monroeville but couldn't take the second hand smoke! Can't believe they still do that in restaurants.....

Stopped for a moment by Col Travis' house in Perdue Hill before checking out the Alabama River bridge from below...

Stopped in Repton and I'm sad to say that it is truly a ghost town now that even the little general store is closed! The old train cars gone too...

All in all, a great day of riding.
338 miles in 8 hours!
At least I didn't have to watch that parody in Washington play out on TV!

Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out the window of a car!

Woods Rider screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 04:06 PM
Woods Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #22671
rotorhead511
Live and let live.

Oddometer: 428
Highland Park follow up

Had a blast. Ian summed it up pretty well. Very muddy on the first day but was fun adapting to. Day 2 dried out a lot and made for faster more secure riding except for the 5D's. I found my limit to falling and pushing on our second 5D and knew I didn't want to push anymore. Would definetly go back again, muddier or not.

Here are a couple pics.

'89 Honda Transalp XL600V (Coming in Sep)
rotorhead511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #22672
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,553
Great Weekend

Some great folks doing different things and enjoying life.

MIT and Rotor - looks like some great weather for this time of the year up there. Clear sky anyway.

Rick, cool trip. Brings back memories. Long ass day brother....good on you for making the solo trip.

I had a great weekend of another type...

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #22673
livetosail
Wayward Traveler

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
All in all, a great day of riding.
338 miles in 8 hours!
Aww, man. Was that your double ferry loop? If I had been free I would have been on that in a heartbeat! Looked like a great trip. Hope you do it more than once a year...
livetosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #22674
Barney
I reckon so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods Rider View Post
Stopped in Repton and I'm sad to say that it is truly a ghost town now that even the little general store is closed! The old train cars gone too...
Hate to see these little towns die out, had an excellent catfish sammich there last summer.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #22675
Woods Rider
X-Crazed Racing Fool

Oddometer: 1,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney View Post
Hate to see these little towns die out, had an excellent catfish sammich there last summer.

Saw a lot of little places out of biz. Another one in Beatrice....

Vic, it was nuts but better than thinking about the next four years

Livetosail, ill be happy to show you this ride. There's even some nice dirt too....

Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out the window of a car!
Woods Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:41 AM   #22676
bzrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,588
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney View Post
I enjoyed the ride, beautiful day to be out. Unfortunate about Lou's ankle though and glad Melvin didn't get any worse than bent bars and a broken watch band, someone needs to tell him that wearing a watch like that while riding a KLR is a direct violation of code and angers the KLR gods. Five of us continued on east and south, making our way through lots of water on river road, only had one submarine incident or maybe better described as a jet ski launch. Good to meet Eric (livetosail), need to get a ride going with BZ next time he's in town.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:58 AM   #22677
Barney
I reckon so

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzrider View Post
Good times, even when this happens.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #22678
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,098
Round the world traveler Benka Pulko

Gonna be telling her stories
this coming Thursday @ 6pm.
BMW of Pensacola on north W street.

See yawwl there.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #22679
Jaxxzenn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
http://bikerspost.com/videos/1/184/p...ozen-butt-tour

those ain't snowmobiles....
Old 01-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #22680
Dirtwoman
Plexus Princess

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhouse View Post
Gonna be telling her stories
this coming Thursday @ 6pm.
BMW of Pensacola on north W street.

See yawwl there.
I wanted to go.... but I have class that night :( ,,, take pictures and come back with stories.... pleasssse