Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #31
Hesaid OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Ok, now you're creeping me out a little...

It's like you're looking over my shoulder at the other windows I have open. I'll try calling, if they really are that type of outfit that can respond to customers, I'd really like to do business with them. I am interested in Soupy's adjustable links, they cost more, but I think it's easy to see why. They might be good for the learning curve, and continued uses as racks, bags, and gear are added. We'll be talking it over, in the meanwhile, I will call Burkhart guy and see what he can do as well. Is anyone using Soupy's? Guess I'll go search.

Thanks for the input.

MV
Hesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #32
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,810
I love the his & hers threads. It is good to see couples sharing hobbies. My wife doesn't ride pavement, but loves to share motorcycling with me.

It sounds like you are sticking with the DR's for now. Nothing wrong with that, as they are fine all-around bikes. Someone else mentioned, and I agree, that adding a few teeth to the rear sprocket will make them easier to ride. They'll be less likely to stall, and roll smoother at low speeds. Even if you lose 10 mph of top speed, they'll still be great for exploring California. There are many many miles of forest service roads up here in the Sierra, and putting around on a DR is probably the best way to travel them.

I ride an '83 XL600 off road, which is somewhat similar to your DR's. A dual sport that size is ideal for most secondary roads and dirt roads. The weight of a 600 can be tiresome on the single track, though, so I would avoid that until jumping curbs is second nature. Let me know if you want some trail suggestions in the Central Sierra, I'd be happy to tell you or show you.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:05 AM   #33
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,637
Hope the bike and wrist are coming right along!

Sarah
Old 12-26-2012, 06:02 AM   #34
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Got quiet...... Divorce lawyer? 2 DR650s for sale?
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #35
Shesaid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
Got quiet...... Divorce lawyer? 2 DR650s for sale?
LOL... I am supposed to assure everyone that our bikes are NOT for sale! Wouldn't make sense to get a divorce lawyer seeing as how I refuse to marry Hesaid all legal-like. LONG stories that I will be happy to tell around a campfire with a beer in my hand if anyone ever wants to hear them.

For the most part, you are always sure to hear more and more often from Hesaid than from me. I am active on several Internet forums related to my career (yeah, I know, it's total news to most folks that there's more to do doing nails than just sitting around doing nails all day... but I like to set the curve a little higher in most things I do. Most. This motorcycling thing didn't exactly do my image any favors!) so I just don't have much time to keep up with y'all.

Also, this forum is CRAZY! Hesaid keeps sending me links to threads about dutch oven cooking and lightweight motorcylce tents and BELIEVE ME I have input on those subjects! I just have don't have time to keep up with them!

We plan to get back on the bikes this weekend, nothing too adventurous but my orthopedist has only recentely (and quite reluctantly) agreed that I could get back on the bike at all!

Many adventures and hilarious Hesaid/Shesaid posts will ensue! Meanwhile... if you want a great taste of past adventures, I think I managed to fill out my profile properly and there should be a link to my blog-- look up all the canoeing posts. I can't wait to start writing biking posts too!

(Also, VERY Excited about the promise of lowering link! 1 more inch, that's all I ask! )
Shesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #36
Hesaid OP
Studly Adventurer

Just been busy, Holidays and all.

And work. I keep having to do that.

And computer failures around the house (Merry Christmas from Dell, a brand new, new computer!).

But all that aside, since no one seems to have a reason why not to, it looks like I'll be ordering Soupy's adjustable links.

And then a jacket.

And some boots.

And it just goes on...

MV
Old 12-27-2012, 01:47 AM   #37
greer
Beastly Adventurer

There you go. Good to hear from you two.

Sarah
Old 01-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #38
Shesaid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Hey Sarah, have to say thanks bunches for the info on the lowering link. It worked out great and I'm feeling much better on the bike now!
Shesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #39
focallength
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Oddometer: 4,382
Take the MSF dirt bike school, both of you. Theyll teach you on 250s, then take what you learned and ride, ride, ride. Dont do anything your not comfortable with. That being said you only get better by going outside of your comfort zone, just do it gradually.
Learn the basics like speed is your friend, how to stop, how and when to use which brake, etc...get comfortable loosing traction, one of the best skills to learn is locking the rear tire, get used to the feeling now. Stuff like that, find a good coach.

March is the noob rally in death valley, if youre up to it attend.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:45 PM   #40
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,143
Dirt riding is challenging enough, I suggest a full knobby front tire. A new rider will never over-ride a DOT knobby on the street. If they do, they should find another hobby.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:46 AM   #41
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shesaid View Post
Hey Sarah, have to say thanks bunches for the info on the lowering link. It worked out great and I'm feeling much better on the bike now!

Glad to help, anytime. Enjoy those bikes!

Sarah
Old 01-22-2013, 04:30 AM   #42
Jake Mountain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
I just have to add that when people talk about the XT225 or the like weighing 100 pounds less than aDR or KLR they often seem to overlook the Suzuki DRZ-400. It weighs the same as the 250's but has a 400 motor that makes nearly the same power as the DR and KLR so the occasional highway stint isn't bad.
And on top of that it's a bit lower to start with, that's why I got one for my wife.
Jake Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #43
Hesaid OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Mountain View Post
I just have to add that when people talk about the XT225 or the like weighing 100 pounds less than aDR or KLR they often seem to overlook the Suzuki DRZ-400. It weighs the same as the 250's but has a 400 motor that makes nearly the same power as the DR and KLR so the occasional highway stint isn't bad.
And on top of that it's a bit lower to start with, that's why I got one for my wife.
The 400 is a bit lower? Are we talking about the same bike? It has a seat height two inches higher than the 650, and that's with the DR650 in the high setting. I'm a reasonablely tall guy with a decent inseam, and I thought the DRZ400 was a bit high. Compared to the DR650 in the low setting, it's way up there. With her DR in the low setting, and with Soupy's adjustable link, her seat height (Suzuki lower gel seat) is about 6" lower than the DRZ400.

Am I missing something?

MV