ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
Sox Fan OP
SoxFan

Oddometer: 858
Bryce Canyon & Zion in March?

Considering a ride from Las Vegas to Bryce, Zion and some other stuff mid-March.

How is the weather in Bryce Canyon and Zion for riding that time of year? Looking to rent maybe a K1300s in Vegas and ride to Utah for a few days and back.

Not interested in riding on ice and snow. Plenty of that here in Michigan.
1989 911
Sox Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox Fan View Post
Considering a ride from Las Vegas to Bryce, Zion and some other stuff mid-March.

How is the weather in Bryce Canyon and Zion for riding that time of year? Looking to rent maybe a K1300s in Vegas and ride to Utah for a few days and back.

Not interested in riding on ice and snow. Plenty of that here in Michigan.
It depends, that part of the world is significantly higher in elevation than Las Vegas. Check with the park service to get conditions in the parks. Buy the annual national park pass if you can get into Bryce and Zion, then sell it to another traveler.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
samthg
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,453

A BMW in Zion??? Nope, I don't know what you're talking about.

To your point. It could be dicey, but i'm guessing you'll be able to access Zion just fine. The problem may be Bryce. That park sits at over 7000'. If there are a few nice days before your ride, you'll be fine. Layer up or heat will be your friend. Zion is an easy ride from Vegas, just watch the for LEO's out by Mesquite and through the Virgin River Gorge. I have no idea how I know this.

At the very least try to make Zion and if Bryce is a 'no' go, then bail out to Valley of Fire, Red Rock Canyon. I'm sure hoping the weather cooperates for you, it is some tremendous real estate out there!

V of F state park....

At the 9 & 89 east of Zion, Thunderbird Lodge for coffee & pie.
samthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:51 PM   #4
Trumper
Eclectic Dilettante

Oddometer: 508
No way to predict the weather that far out, if snow has melted, still freezing over night, etc.

Note that Bryce is 9,000 feet. Pic I took a few years ago (in June) proves it:

Check the National Park service for road conditions and have an alternate route prepared.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
avejoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
I did CA to Bryce mid-March last year on my silver 1150RT too. Temps ranged from the 30s to the 90s in DV. The roads were dry to Bryce. Had some slush on the road near June Lake on 395. That was not relaxing. Great trip and incredible roads. Planning a return trip this Only in April this year.
avejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 1,993
+1 on everything samthg said. Zion will probably be good, Bryce can be dicey. Valley of Fire would be a great alternative if the weather is crappy in the Zion/Bryce area.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
Sox Fan OP
SoxFan

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like we can't plan on good weather up there March. Too bad.

Now thinking of riding from Las Vegas and going south through Mojave Reserve, Joushua Tree park, check out the Salton Sea and head towards Yuma. Day 2 ride to Grand Canyon, day three ride back to las Vegas. Probably riding all tarmac, renting an RT or K1300GT.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated too.
1989 911
Old 01-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,660
Agree that Zion and especially Bryce will be cold/miserable in March, most likely.

Your more recent suggestion would be pretty good, Joshua is still relatively high and will be cold at night, if you're camping.

The coast will be much more temperate, but probably a bit far from Vegas.

What about Death Valley? Some good exploration through there, even on the road - though really good on a GS of some description. Weather is absolutely perfect in Death Valley in March.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #9
Sox Fan OP
SoxFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post

What about Death Valley? Some good exploration through there, even on the road - though really good on a GS of some description. Weather is absolutely perfect in Death Valley in March.

dc
Indeed. We actually did DV last year March on rented R1200GS bikes. It was an awesome place to ride.

Just looking to do something different this year. (My company has a big meeting out there every March and you can stay extra days after the meeting at your own cost if you want and fly back on the company dime).
1989 911