Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #106
carlosbarrios
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
I know this is an older thread, but it seems to be the most informative and recent thread on Windigo Lake. Me and 4 friends are planning on going to Windigo from NY in late August. Should take about 4 days to get there. I'm trying to figure out more or less where we can set up camp every day. If we camped out in Windigo, the timing would actually turn out great for us (mileage-wise). Has anyone camped there before? Is it safe? Would anyone advise against it? So far the only threat seems to be a) bear, b) wolves, and c) pissed off natives.

Any advice is welcome. Plan B would be to come back down and stay in Pickle Lake, but we'll have to do some shifting around of our daily mileage...
carlosbarrios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:31 AM   #107
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosbarrios View Post
Is it safe? Would anyone advise against it? So far the only threat seems to be a) bear, b) wolves, and c) pissed off natives.

Any advice is welcome. Plan B would be to come back down and stay in Pickle Lake, but we'll have to do some shifting around of our daily mileage...

couple things...

side roads off 599 could be limited access, in other words, first nation use or by permit only. if gypsy camping on crown land, you probably need to get a permit and pay the fee. careful with traffic regulations, first nation popo (or OPP) would be happy to profile you. never a good idea to leave your gear unattented.

haven't been in that area since 2009, but i doubt much has changed. flew over from armstrong station and along 599 by float plane and i was amazed at the extensive clear cut and miles of interior road system. DS heaven in there, but don't be tempted.

lastly, the boreal forest in that area is prone to monster fires. check the fire reports and updates before leaving. the road could be closed, or smoke thick enough to make the ride a chore.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #108
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

Oddometer: 7,988
The only road I know of that you can't ride up there is into Musselwhite Mine.

The population density is so low, I can't see a problem with camping, but check for fire bans. There was huge fire up there last year, I fly over it every week, and the burnt out area is pretty impressive.

Watch for transport trucks, until after the Musselwhite turnoff, they are constantly delivering fuel there, and they are moving fast. The Bailey bridges are single lane, and they are not going to stop for you.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #109
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Sitting in the pickle zone

Im actually sitting in Pickle right now and flew up to the old fish farm today and landed to hang out and have a look.
As for the questions about camping up here, fill your boots. As a non-resident you should have a camping permit when on crown land but up here there is no one to police it. OPP are in Pickle and Natitve police in Osenburgh but they wont go past pickle unless there is some sort of emergency.
Not sure if you have looked into it yet but the Bar at the hotel in Pickle burnt down this winter so unless you have your own you wont get any cold ones here outside the LCBO hours
There are 2 small boats without motors at the fish farm so if you were camping in the area and made a paddle you and your buddies could go fishing close to shore. If you did it late in the evening you would be sure the owners wouldnt show up looking to use it (whoever they are) and im sure they wouldnt give a crap either. Maybe bring a boat plug with you incase they keep it in thier pocket
I dont know if I would camp at the farm though. Right around the building there is all kinds of old garbage and random shit everywhere rusting into the landscape. It would be a long haul if you tripped on something and got impaled going for a piss in the dark after a few pints
Im flying up there again tomorrow or the next day so will put stirland lake into my GPS and maybe get some shots.
I think this fall I might see if I can get up there on my bike. I have about 250-300km range so will be packing a fair bit of extra gas.
Best time to go I figure would be Sept. Still normally pretty warm in the days and the weather is still predictable. once the end of the month shows up though your risking some white shit falling
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #110
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

I'm not far from you right now...sitting here in the Musselwhite Camp, but fly home tomorrow afternoon for a week.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #111
old450
n00b

Oddometer: 5
More Information on Stirland Lake - Highschool Yearbook from 1988

I am not sure if this has already been posted or not, I came across this and though it may be of interest. I believe it is for the Ghost Town ZZR_Ron came across?

Link to 1988 Yearbook and what life was like a Stirland Lake:

http://archives.algomau.ca/drupal6/s..._001_001_0.pdf

Also a link to more information:

http://archives.algomau.ca/drupal6/taxonomy/term/1179

I need a dual sport to get out and see some of this stuff.
old450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #112
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Looks neat and non busa friendly....lol. I like the remote stuff. More later when I get my fat ass off the couch and grab a map...
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:36 AM   #113
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

Just fixed a few of the pics that were missing.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:48 AM   #114
joe a
awryder

Oddometer: 588
Really ???

You just had to bring this thread back to life !!!!!!!!

Now I can't put it off and longer......This has been on my "gotta do" list for quite some time......maybe I will combine it with an Abitibi canyon trip as soon as my summer teaching session is over in August.

Ugh....does it ever end ????
Old 07-26-2013, 06:29 AM   #115
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe a View Post
Really ???

You just had to bring this thread back to life !!!!!!!!

Now I can't put it off and longer......This has been on my "gotta do" list for quite some time......maybe I will combine it with an Abitibi canyon trip as soon as my summer teaching session is over in August.

Ugh....does it ever end ????
Well, it was 5 years ago, so I don't know what is there now. Lappeman reported that someone may have been up there doing a bit of work. I think that was last year.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:13 AM   #116
metale
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Thank you Ron for giving me nightmares (read the whole thread last night before falling asleep)

This reminded me of Stephen King's Jerusalem's Lot short story.
metale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:03 AM   #117
Chickentooth
n00b

Oddometer: 5
It does make you think how things can change over time.
Chickentooth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:23 AM   #118
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,510
Make the trip, not a lot has changed at Stirland Lk or the rest of it for that matter and it is neat to explore. There are a few places to camp after Pickle and lots before Pickle. Menakos lakes is about the half way point from Pickle to Windigo and there is a cleared camp site there. I would avoid camping near the small communities to the south of Pickle due to some vandalism and theft problems. That being said the kids there (who are the main vandals) seem to LOVE motorcycles and will high five you all the way through.

Camping at the fish plant is probably not an issue. There will be a lot of vehicles parked there as folks keep them there and 4 wheeler or boat to them.

It is a must see, Leaves are beginning to change a bit now. There are still a lot of nice days in September, and the bugs will be down for the most part, but cool rainy days are not far off. I would not try it after the third week in Sept, unless we have an exceptional fall, as the weather is typically too krappy. Cold rain and likelihood of wet snow any day
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:47 AM   #119
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 387
Windigo Lake

Glad you had a good ride up to the Lake. It's on my bucket list to get there someday.
TCAT Ride Report .
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825909
OldSilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #120
Rhode trip
guided by voices

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosbarrios View Post
I know this is an older thread, but it seems to be the most informative and recent thread on Windigo Lake. Me and 4 friends are planning on going to Windigo from NY in late August. Should take about 4 days to get there. I'm trying to figure out more or less where we can set up camp every day. If we camped out in Windigo, the timing would actually turn out great for us (mileage-wise). Has anyone camped there before? Is it safe? Would anyone advise against it? So far the only threat seems to be a) bear, b) wolves, and c) pissed off natives.

Grab a permit in Pickle Lake. Its $3.00 per person. Here's the number.
There is a great spot to camp at the Pipestone River.

http://www.LapelPinPlanet.com
Rhode trip is online now   Reply With Quote