Old 01-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #73096
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
Gone
Sorry....good stuff.

I just got back from a test ride after resetting the sag on the rear shock. Pogo stick gone. Rides pretty well, can't wait to get out in the dirt somewhere and see how it does. NM, CO, UT, NV, OR?

You should plan to ride with us when we get out that way. Maybe a day or 2 or 3?

John
Old 01-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #73097
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,368
I'll plan on it John. I would think NM, CO, UT, NV, OR would be a good test to see if you've got your suspension dialed in

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #73098
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrduc View Post
Hello,
it seems that this thread is about 'newer' DR's.
Mine is a '92 and as you know, different in many ways.
I tried searching for older models but the search engine here wasn't helpful
Where can I find data here on the older models?
It's basically stock, except for a JE piston, tires and airbox-jet modes from Uncle Jesse.

thanks.
The Pre-'96 DR650S Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61568
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #73099
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,801
The DR is headed back together after getting the frame powder coated semi-gloss black. While it is apart I took the RMZ450 forks apart and the machine shop is cutting new grooves in the dampening tubes to shorten the travel from 12.2" to 11.5". This will allow me to set the forks down farther in relation to the Cogent rear shock so that steering can be made more responsive.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #73100
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,021
Preload?

Nevermind... figured it out. :)

I had had a question about preload, but then thought about it a little more, re-read the ProCycle page, and answered my own question. I ended up going with 1" of total preload (0.47 kg springs). I also set the preload on the emulators at the two turn starting point suggested on the ProCycle page.

It's now 4 PM and the bike is back together. I haven't gone for a test-ride because it's too damn cold, but it feels nice from just sitting on it and pushing on the front end.

While I was out there, I installed that new case saver that they sell, and that fancy anodized blue rear brake clevis. I was hoping the brake clevis thing would help with the play in the rear brake. It might have helped a little... I won't know for sure until I ride it.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320

Rob.G screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 04:03 PM
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #73101
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1000 View Post
The DR is headed back together after getting the frame powder coated semi-gloss black. While it is apart I took the RMZ450 forks apart and the machine shop is cutting new grooves in the dampening tubes to shorten the travel from 12.2" to 11.5". This will allow me to set the forks down farther in relation to the Cogent rear shock so that steering can be made more responsive.

The red pegs and shift lever are very sharp. Power coated also? It's so nice it'll be a shame to get her mudded up! It was 65F here in Nor Cal. Perfect riding weather.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #73102
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
The red pegs and shift lever are very sharp. Power coated also? It's so nice it'll be a shame to get her mudded up! It was 65F here in Nor Cal. Perfect riding weather.
The red parts are paint, and I intend to paint the rear grab bars and my homemade bag racks red also. They are primered now. A few other parts will be red like the oil cooler brackets and little brake brackets. I intend also to paint the valve covers red- got that idea from the Husky 630. Thanks...
Old 01-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #73103
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1000 View Post
The red parts are paint, and I intend to paint the rear grab bars and my homemade bag racks red also. They are primered now. A few other parts will be red like the oil cooler brackets and little brake brackets. I intend also to paint the valve covers red- got that idea from the Husky 630. Thanks...
Red and black have always been a killer combination. Love it. Those red accents really set off things ... and hide a lot of homeliness!

The Huskies red heads are way cool. Great inspiration.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #73104
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Red and black have always been a killer combination. Love it. Those red accents really set off things ... and hide a lot of homeliness!

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #73105
1989THEARK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Question Battery

I dont want to start a flame war or anything.

but my stock battery in the DR finally gave out.

im the second owner of the bike.

it was wrecked and i have bin taping it back together.

after being crashed having some covers smashed

forks bent

tank crushed

tail of the frame slightly bent.

the bike STILL rides awesome.

i used to ride a ex250.

dont ask me what year becuase i had parts from god knows how many different bikes.

after being crushed on my buddy's ktm950 i realized

i really REALLY "REALLY" !!!

wanted my own dual sport.

though i need to get the hang of dirt riding.

my skills for a lack of a better term. SUCK in dirt.

anyway

back to the problem at hand. i have bin thinking about getting a antigravity battery. i read they are good. last long strong crank. but i haven't got any good answers on wether they can deal with the heat the dr650 puts out.
this is my eco bike if it aint broke i dont fix it. i dont plan on farkeling up the bike. i love its simplicity and its get on and go ability. so no extra lights. at most i will just go to a dual headlight. since i hate the stock headlight output with a passion. its one of the reasons i dont like to ride at night. planning to just drop in a new bulb and see if its an improvement..

dang i keep getting off track.

sorry im a total noob here.

i think this is actually my first post on ADV.

i've gone on DR specific forums and thumpertalk but im hardly ever here.
since this is the axis of evil for DR650's on ADV i figured i'd post here and deal with the onslaught opinions.
1989THEARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:15 AM   #73106
jmderyke
Miner

Oddometer: 41
Hi guys I have a dr 350 and I am wanting to swap my rear shock spring, since the 650 is still being made figured I might be able to grab a used one from a 650. So can anyone tell me the specs of the 650 rear spring? mine is
11" x 2 1/4" id thanks
jmderyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:09 AM   #73107
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,286
JE 10.5:1 piston change

just an update for you regulars -

I did finish the HC piston last Friday. Test rode local gravel roads on Saturday to break it in.

She ran a good bit hotter, hopefully it settles down a little as it breaks in but I'll probably be putting a KTM fan on the oil cooler.

first impressions: I did feel an improvement in the throttle response and believe it was a little smoother. I was neither overwhelmed nor underwhelmed by the increases in power. It's definitely snappier but I kind of expected more. For the $200-ish cost of the DIY upgrade it wasn't bad. Further testing on the trail will be needed to get a better idea of the power and heat tradeoffs. Before doing the piston change, I believe I read somewhere on the web where someone compared the change as similar to the gains felt with the pumper carb. I think I would agree with that.

I did have pinging at low RPM loads. Down where she used to tractor, she now pings. I had a half tank of regular gas and attempted to put some premium in it at the station. But the local pumps only have one handle for three grades so by the time you select and pay for 1.5gallons of premium, I bet I was lucky to get .5gallon of premium in the tank.

I will probably fiddle-fart around with the carb jetting some more to see if I'm still in the sweet spot.
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #73108
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
I don't necessarily need something super fancy, but considering how big the bike is, it would be nice for it to cruise stretches of highway a bit better. From what I've gathered, they already make a more powerful engine based on the DR650 that they put in the Freewind. Just adding five or ten HP to the DR and some kind of token wind protection would be a big boon to me. As we've seen from the big bore kits, revised cams, and Suzuki's own Freewind, you can add power to this engine without adding hardly any weight or complexity to the bike. As someone who rides his bike to work whenever he gets a chance, highway travel is not an area where this bike shines. The big bore kit might be pricey to do aftermarket, but I wonder what it would actually add to the cost of the bike if it came from the factory as a 725 or 750.

FWIW, my buddy rides an 800XC, and with under 2500 miles, he's dealing with his second or third "oil weeping out of the engine head" problem, one persistent "bike gets dusty and refuses to idle" problem that the dealer can't sort out, and one "chain slapping against the swingarm" problem that he had to come up with his own fix for. That engine is sweet, and the bike is comfortable, but I wouldn't buy one.
I have both, love them both. The issues your buddy had are well known with simple fixes. After lubing my stepper motor, I've had no more idling problems and don't expect any more. Mines been as reliable as my DR. The Tiger is NOT a dirt bike though. This ride turned from bad to worse, with steep rocky descents and ascents. I got through on the Tiger OK, but would have been happier on the DR. I bought the Tiger primarily as a road bike, but one capable of continuing on when the pavement ended, not a trail bike.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #73109
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
I did have pinging at low RPM loads. Down where she used to tractor, she now pings.
If you can hear it, it's bad.
Quote:
I had a half tank of regular gas and attempted to put some premium in it at the station. But the local pumps only have one handle for three grades so by the time you select and pay for 1.5gallons of premium, I bet I was lucky to get .5gallon of premium in the tank.
You could pull the timing back a bit.
Quote:
I will probably fiddle-fart around with the carb jetting some more to see if I'm still in the sweet spot.
Certainly a lean mixture will contribute to the problem, but correcting that (if it's the case) won't likely solve the problem alone (since DR's have been reported to audibly ping/sustain detonation damage with a standard piston).

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #73110
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989THEARK View Post
back to the problem at hand. i have bin thinking about getting a antigravity battery. i read they are good. last long strong crank. but i haven't got any good answers on wether they can deal with the heat the dr650 puts out. this is my eco bike if it aint broke i dont fix it. i dont plan on farkeling up the bike. i love its simplicity and its get on and go ability. so no extra lights. at most i will just go to a dual headlight. since i hate the stock headlight output with a passion. its one of the reasons i dont like to ride at night. planning to just drop in a new bulb and see if its an improvement..

i've gone on DR specific forums and thumpertalk but im hardly ever here.
since this is the axis of evil for DR650's on ADV i figured i'd post here and deal with the onslaught opinions.
1. get a regular (and cheap) lead acid battery, stay within your budget.
2. Stock tanks are available everywhere ... cheap! Get a new one. So many here take off the stock tank first thing. Check the Flea Market everyday.
3. Lots of other parts can be found here (Flea Market, Parts, search DR650)
4. The cheapest, easiest and most effective headlight solution is the DDM Tuning 35W single bulb HID kit. Plug and play, 3 times more light. $30.