ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #52081
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer
 
Ben99r1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Pomona, Calif.
Oddometer: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngaudioguy View Post
So the pipe that connects the header to the muffler is jammed, and after soaking with WD40 for some time it still doesn't want to come apart. Here's a picture showing the joint in question. Without getting this apart, I don't think there's any way to repack the muffler.


While trying to get the bolts out of the other end, 3 of them ended up breaking loose, requiring a hacksaw to remove. I scratched it up just a little, but that won't matter if I put it back together. Any tips on whether it's worth pursuing taking this apart, or if I should cut my losses and call it dead? Here's a pic of the other end - you can see the 3 ripped out threads.
Sorry buddy I have the same thing happen to mine when I tried to repack it. I was not able to fix mine after I did that. I went back to stock for a couple of years. Now I found a 600 with the baffle removed that works a lot better then the supertrapp.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #52082
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Herlong, CA. Look it up, I'll wait.
Oddometer: 7,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
Thanks for that brown falcon, NOT.
But yeah, speaking of back to our regularly scheduled programming, this:

I need a litle help guys. The bike is pinging and I'm not sure what steps to take. I hear it when I roll on the throttle while going 50 or 60 mph, in 5th gear. It is so bad I can hear it over the wind noise. I have also heard it while in fourth, again at 3/4 to full throttle. It does it despite the type of gasoline I use.

Stock motor except for the "usual" mods: Dave's carb mods, Uni filter, snorkel removed, stock header with FMF Q4. Standard plug. (not the hot or cold range)

Other than this the bike runs great. Starts easily, hot or cold. Good throttle response, no flat spots or hiccups anywhere. I have experienced this a few years ago and I think what I did was to go up a size or two on the main jet. I remember that taking care of it for the most part, but now it's back and needs to be fixed. I need to start keeping notes on this stuff. Can't stand the sound of it and I know what it can do to the motor.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for guns and pussy. I try to keep as much of those around as possible.
has anyting changed that you know of since before the problem to after? I assume no, but should ask. Next could be, clean the carb and check for vacuum (intake) leaks. After that, you have to pop the top and work your way down. Though, you should only have to check the cam and valves. COuld be you have a rocker that's going south too....
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #52083
Haywood
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Haywood's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Chula Vista,CA (spittin' distance from Baja)
Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
has anyting changed that you know of since before the problem to after? I assume no, but should ask. Next could be, clean the carb and check for vacuum (intake) leaks. After that, you have to pop the top and work your way down. Though, you should only have to check the cam and valves. COuld be you have a rocker that's going south too....
Thanks, mang! No, nothing has changed. I'll try the easy stuff first.
Herlong, huh? I've driven through that area. Beautiful country.
Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #52084
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: el salvador
Oddometer: 4,076
have you been running rich for a long time? carbon buildup?
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #52085
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 10,662
Haywood,

Pull the carb intake boot and check for cracks.
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #52086
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider
 
Mossy-Back's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Corvallis, OR
Oddometer: 1,475
So...

What battery-tender are y'all using, and what are you using for leads? I think I'm gonna need to pick one up soon. Battery is weak cranking on these cold mornings.

A link would be great, or a part number and a store (Walmart, dealer, etc.)
__________________
Evan
2013 Husqvarna Strada
'93 XR650L (Gone, but missed)
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #52087
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer
 
RZRob's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Oddometer: 1,213
Harbor Freight Goodie

Hey guys,

You know those times when an extra inch would come in handy? Or when you're having difficulty finding the hole and before you know it you've made a mess out of everything?

OK, well maybe not, but I was at Harbor Freight today and stumbled upon these little goodies. A pair runs a measly $1.49 and fits your traditional oil bottle neck or the larger size like comes with Mobil 1 for instance. These are small and light enough that one might just be worth packing on the long trips. I like the way they firmly attach to the bottle and nicely fit the fill hole on the XR.

Thought I'd pass this along for any of you guys that need a little help.

RZ Rob





RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #52088
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider
 
Mossy-Back's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Corvallis, OR
Oddometer: 1,475
One other thing I've been meaning to ask. With stock suspension, what are good settings to run on the forks (bottom of tube) and the adjustables on the rear shock? I'm 145 pounds, so probably 160 or so with gear on.

Right now the front is 2 clicks counter-clockwise from stop, the adjuster under the left side cover is 8 clicks counter-clockwise from stop, and I haven't messed with the adjuster on the bottom of the shock.

Just looking for good settings to start from. Commuting and moderate trail riding, but more concerned about suspension good for the trails.
__________________
Evan
2013 Husqvarna Strada
'93 XR650L (Gone, but missed)
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #52089
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler
 
ThumpnRed's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Eye Duh Hoe
Oddometer: 2,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
So...

What battery-tender are y'all using, and what are you using for leads? I think I'm gonna need to pick one up soon. Battery is weak cranking on these cold mornings.

A link would be great, or a part number and a store (Walmart, dealer, etc.)
I used a Black&Decker battery maintainer that I picked up at Lowes or Home Depot when I had the old lead acid battery. It came with two different plugs... a cigarette lighter plug for the car and a pigtail for the bike. It works fine. It is kinda nice to be able to stuff the plug in the lighter socket on the truck when it is going to sit for a month or so.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike :With plastic buy two.
'93 XR650L A few stock parts left...
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #52090
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer
 
RZRob's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
So...

What battery-tender are y'all using, and what are you using for leads? I think I'm gonna need to pick one up soon. Battery is weak cranking on these cold mornings.

A link would be great, or a part number and a store (Walmart, dealer, etc.)
I use the Battery Tender Plus and the traditional leads that come with it. Every once in awhile Chaparral throws them on sale for $39 bucks. Oh and they don't work unless they're connected to the bike . I must own like 4 of them, but rarely remember to connect them.....

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #52091
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
Hey guys,

You know those times when an extra inch would come in handy? Or when you're having difficulty finding the hole and before you know it you've made a mess out of everything?

OK, well maybe not, but I was at Harbor Freight today and stumbled upon these little goodies. A pair runs a measly $1.49 and fits your traditional oil bottle neck or the larger size like comes with Mobil 1 for instance. These are small and light enough that one might just be worth packing on the long trips. I like the way they firmly attach to the bottle and nicely fit the fill hole on the XR.

Thought I'd pass this along for any of you guys that need a little help.

RZ Rob
Thanks for the good tip, Rob!

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #52092
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Reading this page I've finally figured out what I've been doing wrong when i work on the bike. I need to be wearing daisy dukes! Problem Solved!...
After that first photograph, I'm starting to worry about the Brown Falcon.





Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #52093
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider
 
Mossy-Back's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Corvallis, OR
Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
I use the Battery Tender Plus and the traditional leads that come with it. Every once in awhile Chaparral throws them on sale for $39 bucks. Oh and they don't work unless they're connected to the bike . I must own like 4 of them, but rarely remember to connect them.....

RZ Rob
Do they come with leads that I'd be able to leave hooked up to the bike all the time? I don't want to have to take the side panel and battery cover off every day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
After that first photograph, I'm starting to worry about the Brown Falcon.





Spud
Don't worry, that's not me!

I could've posted one that was WORSE!
__________________
Evan
2013 Husqvarna Strada
'93 XR650L (Gone, but missed)
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over

Mossy-Back screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 09:41 PM
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #52094
ONandOFF
-ROAD-
 
ONandOFF's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Shenandoah Valley riding wonderland
Oddometer: 5,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
... As I said earlier, repetition is an important, pedagogic tool.
I don't recall you mentioning your profession, Spud, but if pushed to guess, I'd say teacher!
__________________
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #52095
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Herlong, CA. Look it up, I'll wait.
Oddometer: 7,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
I could've posted one that was WORSE!
think cutoff blues trow C shirt and shirt stays and an ass that won't quit.
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014