Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #91
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,255
Will be 72 in Deming NM today. Day started in hi 30s and no cold wind. Can U say riding weather?
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #92
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by selkins View Post
That cactus is prickly pear. If you find any ripe fruit on it (a deep purple color), give this a try: Pick off the fruit using some leather gloves, as it has lots of almost invisible needles on it. Use a lighter to give it a scorch all around to burn those off. Then either peel it or just halve it and eat the stuff inside. Very tasty - kind of like a kiwi in flavor, but a beautiful deep red/purple color. Another thing folks do is peel several of them, and then pour a bunch of tequila over them and leave it to sit overnight. Makes some beautiful margaritas.

The paddles aren't just good for cattle. If you stop in an authentic Mexican restaurant, look for nopales on the menu.

A little more trivia: Gruene is a rough spelling of the German word for green. That part of Texas, along with New Braunfels area, were settling spots for German immigrants, who poured into Texas in the mid to late 1800s.

Hehe, as you can probably tell, I'm enjoying your RR. As a native Texan who has lived away for 20+ years, it's great fun to follow along as someone "discovers" the state.
Very cool, I'm going to start watching to see if I see any with fruit on it and will watch for it on the menus! Thanks!
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #93
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
Great reading another 'escapee's' report. As to the 'Texas is big' thang, man, u are not going to believe how big. The 80mph freeways help get u across it but it is STILL big.
Like me, u are prolly routinely gazing at the weather reports, wondering what you may or may not have to be riding into. For a heads up it looks like the slow moving high that has finally brought warming temps to the Southern Arizona area is slowly pushing east and may give you pleasant riding conditions. But you've got a long way to go before then so who knows what the crazy weather will do. They say Mexico is warmer.
I've completely lost track of what day I did anything (which is exactly the point of a ride like this)... but weather has been great since I left Fredericksburg about a week ago and headed for San Antonio. The forecast for the rest of the week does look good. Unfortunately, it's looking pretty crappy for San Diego next week (rain and mid-50's)... but trust me, The Girlfriend and I will find ways to entertain ourselves.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #94
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Anyone wanting to follow another 'wanderer', this is Toadrides report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809995

The Stelvio was on my very short list when I got my Triumph. Never owned a Guzzi but have loved every ride on one. They ooze character. The #1 bike on my "must own before I take a dirt nap" list is a 1997 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100i in that weird-as-hell brown-grey-green-black color. It's elusive, but I'll find one eventually...
Old 01-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #95
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,135
The Guzzis do have character. I like the Breva. Wish there was a dealer close by.....If you make it to BB don't forget to ride the River Road to Presidio, its a beauty...I hope to do a Tex trip in the spring.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #96
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

WNWT Day 13

It didn't take much of a suggestion from Doug to convince me to spend another night in South Padre. Spent all day Saturday exploring the island... didn't even start the bike. Good to have a day off of riding. Woke up to 59 degrees and sunny and it only got better from there. Remember those flippity flops I packed... wore them all day

View from the condo:

View of Breakfast by Doug... great tasting sausage!

The South Padre beach has a very fine grain sand, perfect for walking barefoot. The Gulf water wasn't even particularly cold.

One of the most painful things in the world is getting someone to figure out how to take a picture using your phone. I suck at it when others ask me to do it. Show them where to press. They press someplace else and exit the camera app. You have to get the camera back up. Cue uncomfortable waiting. We were successful on the third try. Not bad.

Doug and I...

All morning, you could see a tug pulling an old tanker ship in closer and closer. We went down to the channel as it was pulled through. There is a ship salvage company in Brownsville.

Took a drive to the north end of the island... it's a full time job keeping the sand off the road up there.

For lunch we landed at the South Padre Brewing Company. Doug did so well with the grouper recommendation the night before I took his advice again and had the Ahi Tuna Salad. Fan-freakin-tastic! Went with a flight of their microbrews. I wasn't a fan of the IPA but all the others were good.

Checked out the Port Isabel lighthouse.

View of the bridge over to South Padre from the top

Drove down to the dock area in Brownsville. Supposedly the largest shrimp boat fleet in the world ports there. Saw where they'd parked the cargo ship we saw them towing in. First they yank the prop off, then they pull the front of the ship up into a dry dock, whack off a slice, pull it up a little farther, another slice, until it's gone.

Several roadside fruit and vegetable vendors in that area... got some oranges, tangerines, and sweet corn. Stopped and got some shrimp... Doug made gumbo for dinner. The gumbo was delicious, just the right level of spicy. The sweet corn was not good. We knew any sweet corn grown down there was going to have an uphill battle for ever tasting right. Take some Iowa sweet corn down there and it'd blow their minds.

Great day in South Padre... now, how can I turn this sabbatical into a permanent retirement???
Old 01-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #97
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

WNWT Day 14

BOOM... another great weather day in South Padre. Sun coming up over the gulf.

Hearty breakfast of oatmeal and a banana and time to hit the road. Need to lay down some miles today. As I pulled out of the parking lot, it was a major turning point for the ride. I went as far south in Texas as I could go... time to starting heading west to meet The Girlfriend in San Diego

Westbound and down...

Then mostly North up 16. Got to Hebbronville and considered heading westerly but decided to keep hauling north and end up in the Hill Country again. Going with what I know.

Texas showed me several different faces in today's ride.

Beach...

Desert...

Then back to the Hills...

The roads were all good condition and lightly traveled. Everything was high speed and straight but I had a really good ride. There really is something serene about the desert and the wide open spaces. Lots of new oil drilling happing in the area.

Saw my first Javelina (wild pig) today. I tried to get a pic but he was elusive... wouldn't quite run off, just wouldn't stay still. Didn't want to get too close, I guess they are seriously nasty if they get P.O.'d.

Crossed under I-35 at Devine. My house is about 2 miles off of I-35 back in Iowa. I checked with Senor Garmin and it's apparently 1029 miles away from this point. Hmm. Let's keep riding west...

Lots of motorcycles out on this warm day, was starting to wonder about Texas riders... good weather and this huge playground of a state but hadn't really seen many riders out till the temps got up into the 60's. I guess it's not really any different in Iowa...

The miles came easy today and I saw that it really wouldn't take much to land in Fredericksburg where I knew where I'd get a good room to plan my attack on Big Bend. Stayed at the same place as before.. "hi, I'm back". 407 miles for the day.

Was having a craving for pizza so went to the West End Pizza Company. Good pie, hit the spot.

Long phone call with The Girlfriend and off to sleep for another long riding day to get up to Fort Davis.

Evomx971 screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 06:32 AM
Old 01-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #98
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,199
Nice rides

Thanks for taking all us snowbound FF's along for the ride.

As a recent "early-retired-unemployed-sabbatical-nojob-hobo, I cant wait to start my ride report this summer when The Girlfriend and I do Bawstin to Vancouver to Alaska to Acapulco as a warm up ride

Ride safe !

Wish I was a headlight.
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:41 AM   #99
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Dalone View Post
Thanks for taking all us snowbound FF's along for the ride.

As a recent "early-retired-unemployed-sabbatical-nojob-hobo, I cant wait to start my ride report this summer when The Girlfriend and I do Bawstin to Vancouver to Alaska to Acapulco as a warm up ride

Ride safe !
Do it if you can do it! I've got several friends that keep bringing up Alaska, so it's on the bucket list.

If anyone is wanting to follow another great ride report (it's not like you're really expected to be working), this is one of my favorites. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=813572

I really don't follow many (and I'm a little behind on what Gene and Neda are up to right now). Great couple that sold it all, took off from Canada, and are headed south. Be careful... you read this stuff and it makes you want to do it!!!
Old 01-22-2013, 06:43 AM   #100
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,615
you MUST do Alaska! Promise you won't be sorry!
Old 01-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #101
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,199
Right on ! Your doing it, just ride ride ride.

The plans are all falling in place. We leave July 1, have a month to be on the west coast, got a 10 day cruise booked on Aug 4. Vancouver to Fairbanks. Inmates have told me how to get the bike on a barge so when the cruise is over, the bike will be there. We have 4 months to get from Fairbanks to Acapulco for xmas. We have a resort booked for a week there. Then who knows where we go. I am having a hard time waiting to go, but her job requires 6 months notice before the LOA kicks in.
Im chomping to go, not spring chickens anymore, well, one of us isnt, I will be 50, she will be 30 this summer, can you spell CELEBRATIONS!!

I have been keeping an eye on Gene an Nedas ride. Thats pretty amazing. I gnuess you just go with the flow, and find work after all is said an done.

Screw leaving an inheritance!! I hope there is just enough for the creamation!

Wish I was a headlight.
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #102
TheGirlfriend
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUFF2C View Post
Careful what you post on ADV Miss GF... you my end up with a rally at your place.
Thanks for the wisdom!!
TheGirlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #103
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

WNWT Day 15

Monday morning in Fredericksburg. Woke up to 34 degrees, cloudy, and fog. Yuck... fiddled about for a bit before taking off to see if it would improve. Nope...

Sopped up the dew off the seat and headed out. About 2 miles out of town I cleared the fog, the sun was shining and it was instantly warmer. All Better.

If this guy is hoping to grow rocks on his ranch, he's doing something right.

Interesting aquaduct running through Menard, TX

Having a good day, great weather, clicking off the miles. Then this happened. I swear, wasn't even looking...

The Presidio de la San Saba. Cool ruins. Apparently most of what you see has been reconstructed though. No one was around and I was enjoying my stroll, reading the plaques explaining the different structures when I got a visitor. I wish I could remember the guy's name, but he was seriously passionate about the Presidio. I got a personal tour (imagine about a 1/4 mile walk in a "walk 3 steps, hear a story, walk 3 steps" pattern) of the ruins.

When the fort was being used, they had a tunnel that went under the wall down to the river so they could get water with minimal exposure to the indian threat.

Yeah, it was a bit of a delay I hadn't planned on, but I really had a good time listening to my new friend tell his stories. I think he was really enjoying it too. He had a crazy eyebrow that went straight down. Not sure how he saw through the thing. I don't normally leave my helmet on if I'm going to be mingling with the public, but like I said, when I got there, no one else was there.

Lunch of Champions in El Dorado, TX.

Terrain alternated between flat desert and low mountains for most of the day as I headed west.

Had a rip down I-10 which was boring except for getting to see a small group of 8 or 9 javelinas grazing right along the interstate. I finally got to get off of the interstate and head south for Ft. Davis. I could see the mountains coming. Hazy blue in the afternoon light.

Got to Fort Davis. 365 miles for the day. Rustic little town. Found a nice room at the Harvard Hotel.

Went to the Drugstore/Soda Fountain/Restaurant next door and had chicken fried steak. I dedicate this meal to Chappymx828, who should have played his sugar mama card like I did and be on this ride with me.

Next day will be a loop through the Big Bend area and a trip to the McDonald Observatory for a "star party".
Old 01-24-2013, 04:39 AM   #104
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,135
Brocolli?.. No one in Texas eats brocolli unless its deep fried. Where did you really take that picture? Applebees?.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:25 AM   #105
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
Brocolli?.. No one in Texas eats brocolli unless its deep fried. Where did you really take that picture? Applebees?.
I guess they do in Fort Davis at the General Store... ate there the next night too and the side was green beans. I like broccoli so it was fine with me.