ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #31
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
Yes, I do like the Gravs!

What would be cool would be if a local rancher could be persuaded to haul up a 50 gallon drum to the top of the Gravellies and we could refuel up there and continue adventuring.
Hey, I thought that is what the Ural sidecar is for! Oh, wait a minute, we filled it with beer, ice & goods for the grill, no room for gas!

This section begs for shag-wagon/pickup truck support out of Ennis. More research required.
HellsAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #32
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellsAlien View Post
Hey, I thought that is what the Ural sidecar is for! Oh, wait a minute, we filled it with beer, ice & goods for the grill, no room for gas!

This section begs for shag-wagon/pickup truck support out of Ennis. More research required.
The Ural may not be on the 2013 trip. We have 7 months to figure out options.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #33
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,762
What kind of range do you think a person needs on the bike to make gas to gas?
sorebutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #34
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
What kind of range do you think a person needs on the bike to make gas to gas?
One should plan for a 150 mile fuel range with either on-board or auxilliary fuel. In some places fuel is available within shorter ranges.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100

Timmer screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 09:33 PM
Old 12-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #35
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,283
Need A GSA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
One should plan for a 150 mile fuel range with either on-board or auxilliary fuel. In some places fuel is available within shorter ranges.
Last week in July sounds great for what I have already planned. Question: Is most of this dirt [non-pavement; hope so...]? As for fuel for smaller bikes, with 8.7 gals I can serve as a KC135 tanker in a pinch.

Did not read all postings, do I have to fill out anything or will you keep us in loop as to when and where to meet?

Thanks for putting this together...have done Magruder,came up over top from Cobalt via Mud Pass, but not Lolo and would appreciate having other areas in Montana pointed out...

Phil
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #36
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,076
Phil, Vast majority is dirt - back woods forest routes where at all possible with some pavement connectors where necessary. I've been playing with the routes and the only gas problem is the two days in the Gravelly's. There are no close (a relative term) access to commercial gas up in that area. The only really rough stuf would be some optional side trips (like Burnt Knob Lookout on the Magruder).

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
Last week in July sounds great for what I have already planned. Question: Is most of this dirt [non-pavement; hope so...]? As for fuel for smaller bikes, with 8.7 gals I can serve as a KC135 tanker in a pinch.

Phil
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #37
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Sounds Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansfel View Post
Phil, Vast majority is dirt - back woods forest routes where at all possible with some pavement connectors where necessary. I've been playing with the routes and the only gas problem is the two days in the Gravelly's. There are no close (a relative term) access to commercial gas up in that area. The only really rough stuf would be some optional side trips (like Burnt Knob Lookout on the Magruder).

Ron
Sounds good. Count me in. Whoever is ram-rodding this please post ahead of time any information on when and where we meet to start out.

Perhaps I can get Tom Tucker to join it since we start in his home town.

Thanks...Phil

Ps...I was not kidding about fuel, I have pumped out fuel before to get my friends KTM home. Of course that is a limited offer!

PPs..If we start on July 22 then we start on a full-moon...very nice.

Wallowa screwed with this post 12-19-2012 at 11:57 AM
Old 12-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #38
zzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Rally in the Gorge

The 2013 Rally in the Gorge is July 31-Aug 4, 2013. This is an important NW rally for some folks and may effect planning.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:06 PM   #39
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Do Both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzo View Post
The 2013 Rally in the Gorge is July 31-Aug 4, 2013. This is an important NW rally for some folks and may effect planning.
Make the vacation two weeks and do both? I personally avoid the Gorge, no slight on anybody, but too many people. But perhaps the rally is off in the boonies and not actually in the Gorge.

Anyway plenty of time to do both.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:18 AM   #40
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzo View Post
I've got another riding commitment in June and July, so I'm looking at a 2nd week in August after the Rally in the Gorge as as a tentative date and before the Sasquatch Ride. Now that I'm back in town, I'll give some more serious thought to dates and post in this thread.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 01-21-2013, 11:51 PM   #41
Clark60
n00b

Oddometer: 9
timmer

count me in...you know i am not so good with this tech computer stuff.....I will try and follow here but sometimes I have trouble finding the thread so if you don't hear from me when the dates are set send me separate email. thanks for the planning.
Clark60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #42
WERA456
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
So what are the exact dates we are looking at?
What will the terrian be like? I know it says big bike friendly but can we elaborate any? Steep Climbs? Slow technical stuff? All well maintained roads I could take my corrolla on if I was careful?

I have summer plans to come up the the PNW this summer for about a month. My mom and boyfriend will be with me, riding two up on a vstrom. Something like this would be a lot of fun. If I can't do it the week you guys are going any chance I could get the GPX file and maybe go at it on my own. Any locals interested in meeting up to ride in the area?

Thanks
WERA456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #43
zzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERA456 View Post
What will the terrian be like? I know it says big bike friendly but can we elaborate any? Steep Climbs? Slow technical stuff? All well maintained roads I could take my corrolla on if I was careful?

I have summer plans to come up the the PNW this summer for about a month. My mom and boyfriend will be with me, riding two up on a vstrom. Something like this would be a lot of fun. If I can't do it the week you guys are going any chance I could get the GPX file and maybe go at it on my own. Any locals interested in meeting up to ride in the area?

Thanks
The last three have been on Forest Service type roads. Larry rides it on a V-Strom and the first year there were Triumph Scramblers. So, if Timmer lays it out like the last few, it will be doable on most bikes. It is not technical or single track, mostly just gravel and dirt public roads.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #44
arbrlvr
Santa Rosa, CA

Oddometer: 81
Sounds very fun

I may be able to make it depending on when and if a California guy is allowed. I try to spend a lot of my time out of Cali. I'm only here for family and career. I'm always looking for a reason to head north! I'll try to watch this thread but shoot me a pm please as we get closer to the date.
arbrlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:58 PM   #45
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERA456 View Post

Thanks
I'm looking at departing from Kamiah, ID on Sunday. 8/11/13 and finishing in Elk City, ID on Sat, 8/17.

If you were super careful you could take your Corolla if you didn't mind scratches and scrapes. There are some steep areas in both the Lolo Motorway and Magruder Corridor. While most of our bikes were 650 size, there was a KTM 950 and I saw other big bikes on the ride. There's no single track, but there are some challenging sections on the both the Lolo and Magruder. As far as 2up riding goes, if they are comfortable doing this in non-pavement conditions, they shouldn't have much trouble, however, keep in mind that this is a full on camping adventure and everyone needs to carry their own gear. It might be possible to motel it, but you'd miss a lot of the comorauderie of the campfire times.

The GPX files can be made available.

Tim
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100