ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #3706
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
I am not one bit sorry for that guy.

Similar thing happened to me in San Diego years ago.

While I was laying on the plate in the ER, with three broken ribs, a broken wrist, a concusion and a bruised lower vertebrae, along with a bike that I had a choice to write off or repair. I could hear the cop interviewing the women, who turned left across my lane from the road side shoulder without looking. Her answer, that was golden, "I counted the cars that I had seen coming up the road, I had counted their right side lights and after I saw four pass me I then turned". I guess I should travel on the shoulder so she can see my lights too. Forget about looking before you turn Huh, no need I thing or not !

So no I do not feel sorry for the guy, only for you being put in the situation that you could not avoid while paying attention and now suffering the consequences.

Was his name Darwin ?
Callahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #3707
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,863
Damn that within five miles of home stat!!

Glad you're both up and moving.

Bicycle did the same thing to my wife the other day, wrong way and didn't look, she stood the Volvo on it's nose to keep from hitting him and got the double finger for missing.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #3708
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 14,042
I'm glad you're OK. That everyone is OK actually.

rant But I have to say that with all that's been done to date regarding bike lanes, bridges, street reconfigurations and so on, nothing has yet been done about situations like this. Your insurance will pay-they may try and go after the bike rider but I doubt it. Maybe your rate will go up or maybe it won't. It kinda sucks because you know damn well that had it been your fault and you had no insurance... /rant.
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #3709
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 737
I am glad I have 3 witnesses that told my story to the cops.

1. SWA flight attendant on his way to work
2. Very nice lady that stayed at the scene until the tow truck came
3. Very nice man that was in the lane back left of me

I have a feeling those images will stick in their minds for quite sometime. I consider myself an uber safe rider and just do it for fun. This does prove my thinking that I prefer to ride off road.. at least when I dump her, I don't have to blame another human.
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #3710
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 14,042
Yeah. Glad to hear about the witnesses too.
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #3711
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish4ku View Post
This does prove my thinking that I prefer to ride off road.. at least when I dump her, I don't have to blame another human.
Hi chrish4ku,

Wow, what a bummer ... glad you were not hurt!
One of the best things about dual-sport riding is leaving almost all the cars behind once we leave the tarmac ...

See you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #3712
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Looks like Monday morning we'll be starting the long way to Baja. Here's 2 links to follow our progress. If you check them now you'll either see a blank map or an error message because there's no tracks yet...

The first link is simple to remember: www.hardworkingdog.whereamiriding.com
(Thanks, Strega!)

The other link has annoying ads from Spot but the map has much better zooming capability in satellite mode: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...f1Hj2EgMacWQOJ

Wish us luck
Hi HWD,

Hope things are well with you ... finally seeing some info on your SPOT links after about a week of no updates ...

Seems like there was a fair amount of adventure over the holidays in Baja ... two broken legs (Nemo Brinker's and NSFW's groups) and your adventure in the mud of Laguna Salada ...

Anyway, looks like you are making progress ... looking forward to hearing from you again!

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #3713
panglao
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Noob - Anyone for DS rides in Santa Cruz/Mountains

Hi All,

Let me introduce myself, I'm Tim and I live in Santa Cruz, I'm retired which also means I'm not as quick and agile as most of you guys and gals!

I have a BMW G650GS, which I just put some decent DS tires on. I would call myself an OK, kind of cruiser on the street and relatively inexperienced on the offroad stuff on a big bike, but want to learn more and would like an occasional buddy to ride with, don't want to get in trouble by myself!!

Btw: I have experience Offroad, just not on the bigger bike, I have ridden, MX, ATV's and driven 4x4's offroad in Hollister, Dunes, Sierra's and Nevada mountain deserts

I'm available 7 days, for say 1/2 day rides, would like to try Summit Road - Mt Madonna.....dirt, fire roads....

cheers

Tim

panglao screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 12:05 PM
panglao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #3714
vaara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Another FNG here. I'm Peter and have been living in San Francisco for 3.5 years; in the East Bay for 2.5 years before that, and lots of other places before that.

I currently ride a 2007 WeeStrom with only 55,000 miles on it -- so it's barely broken in. My off-pavement experience is extremely limited, and I hope to change that, although I'm really not set up for it yet - I don't even have tip-over guards or anything. I have, however, ridden to every county in CA on this bike (on pavement).

I'm specifically interested in riding Mendocino Pass, along with some of the roads up in western Humboldt, and especially in going south of the border for some lite off-road adventures.

Oh, and I used to be on BARF under this same username.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #3715
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish4ku View Post
I am glad I have 3 witnesses that told my story to the cops.

1. SWA flight attendant on his way to work
2. Very nice lady that stayed at the scene until the tow truck came
3. Very nice man that was in the lane back left of me

I have a feeling those images will stick in their minds for quite sometime. I consider myself an uber safe rider and just do it for fun. This does prove my thinking that I prefer to ride off road.. at least when I dump her, I don't have to blame another human.
Dang. Sorry to hear that Chris. :( Glad you're o.k. Poor moto. I see these homeless guys or home depot slackers riding their bikes all crazy. Almost tagged one on the way home in my cage. ugh. Really sucks. That bicycle wasn't worth $5 buck.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #3716
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by panglao View Post
Hi All,

Let me introduce myself, I'm Tim and I live in Santa Cruz, I'm retired which also means I'm not as quick and agile as most of you guys and gals!

I have a BMW G650GS, which I just put some decent DS tires on. I would call myself an OK, kind of cruiser on the street and relatively inexperienced on the offroad stuff on a big bike, but want to learn more and would like an occasional buddy to ride with, don't want to get in trouble by myself!!

Btw: I have experience Offroad, just not on the bigger bike, I have ridden, MX, ATV's and driven 4x4's offroad in Hollister, Dunes, Sierra's and Nevada mountain deserts

I'm available 7 days, for say 1/2 day rides, would like to try Summit Road - Mt Madonna.....dirt, fire roads....

cheers

Tim
Welcome to ADV. I am also in SC (there are a lot of ADV/dual sport folks in the area). As you know, there isn't a lot of dirt here, but Summit can be part of a fun loop (esp. if Highland is open/passable for a return after Corralitos, etc.)

Not many local rides organize here (but some do), you may also want to check SBR (South Bay Riders) where there are a few more local rides posted.

This weekend would be a great one for riding. I usually spend most of the winter off the moto and on the mountain bike (wet roads and cold winds are not my ideal conditions for riding a motorcycle). I'm out for this weekend though, as I am waiting on a battery for my XRL.
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #3717
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 737
Desert BRPs Weekend

Took the XR650R team to Ridgecrest last weekend. Good thing I bought a bunch of those Lance Armstrong Stinger Waffles with me...

With these guys I need that "level playing field advantage" so I figured why not. Oh boy do they work......

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857354

2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #3718
almissoula
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by panglao View Post
Hi All,

I have a BMW G650GS, which I just put some decent DS tires on.
Hi Tim, I've been looking at Summit road on the map and would love to check it out - it seems like the weather is warming up and if Feb looks nice I may go. Give me a shout if you plan on going and need a wingman - I am on an R1150GS but it should be fine up there. Do you know if its connected all the way, to Hecker Pass or do we need to double back? It looks like it but I'm not sure if there's a gate somewhere.

Cheers,
Alan
Old 01-22-2013, 01:12 AM   #3719
spqr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by almissoula View Post
Hi Tim, I've been looking at Summit road on the map and would love to check it out - it seems like the weather is warming up and if Feb looks nice I may go. Give me a shout if you plan on going and need a wingman - I am on an R1150GS but it should be fine up there. Do you know if its connected all the way, to Hecker Pass or do we need to double back? It looks like it but I'm not sure if there's a gate somewhere.

Cheers,
Alan
Summit was open as of a few days ago. There are gates but they are rarely closed (keep the noise down and the residents don't care). Buzzard lagoon is also a little fun, been meaning to get the bike down to the lagoon itself. There is also a pretty extensive network of dirt that leads down from summit to Uvas. Some of that area can get a little twitchy if you run into the wrong person. I usually throw the bags on and tell them I am 'In training' for another long overland trip. So far it works. Next Sunday I will take a run down that direction (or maybe Saturday).

If you are going to play on those road just remember to keep moving and keep the noise down. I have been stopped up there and told it was no problem but 'those damn kids on the dirt bikes' were not welcome. All part of the adventure.

If anyone wants to do a meet up during the week on the the SC side of the hill I can should be able to be talked down off my mountain.

My ride Report, I will finish it some day.

You pay your money, and you take your chances.

1983 R65 (sold to good home)
2001 Kawasaki Concours (Stacked and totaled)
1997 BMW F650 (Still rolling)
1987 kawasaki EX 500
2009 BMW F800 GS ('nough said)
2006 Kawasaki KLR 650 (The Mule)
spqr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #3720
almissoula
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by spqr View Post
Summit was open as of a few days ago. There are gates but they are rarely closed (keep the noise down and the residents don't care). Buzzard lagoon is also a little fun, been meaning to get the bike down to the lagoon itself. There is also a pretty extensive network of dirt that leads down from summit to Uvas. Some of that area can get a little twitchy if you run into the wrong person. I usually throw the bags on and tell them I am 'In training' for another long overland trip. So far it works. Next Sunday I will take a run down that direction (or maybe Saturday).

If you are going to play on those road just remember to keep moving and keep the noise down. I have been stopped up there and told it was no problem but 'those damn kids on the dirt bikes' were not welcome. All part of the adventure.

If anyone wants to do a meet up during the week on the the SC side of the hill I can should be able to be talked down off my mountain.
Sounds great + thanks for the tips! I wanted to tap into the roads that lead to Uvas, lots of fun down there.