User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
Braveturtle OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Warranty issues

I purchased a "NEW" R1200 GSA in May of 2010. When I was at a BMW dealer having some work done they informed me that my warranty would expire in February (next month). I said that they had made a mistake and that it would be good till May (4months).
When I called the dealer I'd purchased it from, they said, "Don't worry about it, it was a DEMO, it's no big deal, we'll give you a in-house warranty to cover it until May." Well, I think it IS a big deal! I travel all over the country with this bike and I don't want to get stuck out in the middle of nowhere and have to push it to the nearest dealer.
Evidently they sold me a DEMO and wrote NEW on the title!
On top of that, when I attempted to renew my license plates, the year I purchased it I thought I was going to get arrested because according to DMV the motorcycle didn't belong to me. The title and registration had never been properly processed with the State. I had to call the people I got the bike from and get them to send me a title, then go back to DMV and prove it was actually mine. You've just got to love this kind of thing.
I've not talked to BMW CORPORATE yet but I'm sure I will have to.
Has anyone ever had anthing like this happen to them?
Braveturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
I also purchased a demo. By BMW corporate regs that means it MUST have at least 2500 miles on it AND it IS titled as new. Now Florida is one F--ked up state when it comes to titling anything. What do you expect from a state that got its start by people who moved light housed to wreck ships. The dealer who has always been straight with me said that I had an extra five months of warranty added to my bike because it was a demo. Not sure when that date began but the numbers were 3 yrs and 36,000 miles. I bought mine on Jan 6, 2012. Their dealership got the bike in late July or August of 2011, thus the 5 months. I'm pretty sure that is a BMW thing and especially so because I financed it through BMW as NEW.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
lkchris
Albuquerque

Oddometer: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braveturtle View Post
Evidently they sold me a DEMO and wrote NEW on the title!
NEW means never been registered/titled and does not mean zero miles. There is no category of interest to the motor vehicle division called "demo."
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,256
How many miles were on it when you bought it. I thought I read here an official BMW demo bike has 2500 miles for the dealer to get demo credit or something like that.

Tell the dealer to adjust the computer to show your warranty is good until MAY worldwide.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
PACK RAT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I bought a new 2012 G650GS "cash down" last September and still have not recieved my pink slip. When I called the dealership they said they had sent it to some bank and the title is under the banks name That was five weeks ago, still waiting....
Old 01-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
Braveturtle OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
The bike had 10 miles on it according to the title. The dealer said BMW will only consider it sold in February as their records show it sold WHOLESALE on 2/2/10 and RETAIL on 2/28/10. I purchased it on 5/2/10.
Braveturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #7
GeorgeinVA
Beemers Uber Alles

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
The bike had 10 miles on it according to the title. The dealer said BMW will only consider it sold in February as their records show it sold WHOLESALE on 2/2/10 and RETAIL on 2/28/10. I purchased it on 5/2/10.
Chances are you did not buy a demo. More likely the dealer reported the bike sold to BMW on 2/28/2010 to take advantage of a financing deal that expired at the end of the month. This is a common practice but should have been disclosed at purchase.
BMW starts the warranty clock when the dealer reports the bike sold not the day it is titled.
(571) 318 2472
Indie BMW Maintenance
www.beemersuberalles.com
GeorgeinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:04 AM   #8
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,093
Quote:
Now that we know what the title said, did you look at the odometer and notice what it said when you picked up the bike?

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote